Exclusive Shimano Rods

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Exclusive Shimano Rods

Post by 4liters » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:36 am

The production runs are actually pretty small, if you got a small group of people together a chinese factory would happily copy 50 or so decent whiting rods or whatever for **** all and you'd each never have to buy one for a few years.
smile0784 wrote:Its like anything these days
You get what you pay for.
The cheaper it is that less quality you get
Which is actually the total opposite of what they are saying about these rods. Because they are exclusives the stores charge more for a lower quality rod.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:29 am

But for a shimano rod they are fairly cheap compared to other Shimano ranges out there.

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks guys....like all my tools, I like to buy something decent and then you only need to buy it once. I found a link when I bought one of them, viewtopic.php?f=85&t=18787&start=10#p241394
So I've gone into the shop, the salesman has pointed me straight over to the 'store exclusive' at 1/2 price (as Chris mentioned they like to do)...how could I say no! Even at '1/2 price' there are heaps better rods I could have bought...lesson learnt.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:52 am

I don't rate most of the shimano rods until you get into the higher price bracket. I have pretty much stopped looking at the brand name on a rod when I go looking to buy something for a specific task. I go by the feel of the rod in my hand, the quality of the components on the rod (brand of guides, quality look of binding, handle brand, material and construction) and of course price. I have bought and used many rods in the $50-$150 range which I think are far better and last longer from lesser known brands. I figure a few things here, 1. They're less likely to put quality components on crappy blanks. 2. They can't charge extra for the branding as it's not a big name. 3. There is less money spent by the "brand" on marketing so they are hoping the rod sells itself on its merits.

I also agree with what others here have said about using own store brands so they don't have to price match in the ultra competitive retail space that now also includes competing with online shops with low overheads. Bunnings has used this trick for years, among others. It helps keep the margins up and they know when they are spending $$ on hype and marketing for their own brand you can't just walk into a competitors shop and buy it there.

They are built with the benefit of store economics in mind, not as the best offering for the fisherman.

One day I may end up choosing one of these rods based on my purchasing criteria above but it hasn't happened yet and likely for the reasons I've mentioned (although my mate has a very nice rod that we think is a BCF own brand that he got for $50 on special, all Fuji guides, cork handle and aparantly a loomis blank, and it feels very nice, I'm a little jealous of this one!)

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 am

A year ago I got a little Skakespeare Slingshot Engage ultra light for sixty bucks to flick around light soft plastics. It's been a great little rod for that. Nice feel and action. Admittedly went through about 10 they had in the shop, holding them out in front of me to check the blanks were straight and the guides were properly aligned, as well as no blank twist, especially with the top section. Three out of the 10 checked out good. The others failed in various ways. I then went ocd on the final 3 getting a few quizzical looks from the staff as I compared them. But I ended up with a great little cheap rod thats ticked all the boxes. I even seen some of the much more expensive off the shelf rods with poorly aligned guides here and there or a wonky upper section that leans one way or the other. Some twisted that bad on the backbone test they were a joke. Especially important on the upper section of a two price. Get that wrong and the dann thing will twist loose or misalign whilst the pressures on during tussle. Had that happen once with a big trout on using a rod that did the twist years ago, was not a good feeling seeing that during the fight. I've made sure all my gears right these days doing those simple checks and its a reason why I only buy my rods hands on these days.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:27 am

4liters wrote:The production runs are actually pretty small, if you got a small group of people together a chinese factory would happily copy 50 or so decent whiting rods or whatever for **** all and you'd each never have to buy one for a few years.
smile0784 wrote:Its like anything these days
You get what you pay for.
The cheaper it is that less quality you get
Which is actually the total opposite of what they are saying about these rods. Because they are exclusives the stores charge more for a lower quality rod.

We should get some FV Sticks made up lol :banana:
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:55 pm

Brownie wrote:A year ago I got a little Skakespeare Slingshot Engage ultra light for sixty bucks to flick around light soft plastics. It's been a great little rod for that. Nice feel and action. Admittedly went through about 10 they had in the shop, holding them out in front of me to check the blanks were straight and the guides were properly aligned, as well as no blank twist, especially with the top section. Three out of the 10 checked out good. The others failed in various ways. I then went ocd on the final 3 getting a few quizzical looks from the staff as I compared them. But I ended up with a great little cheap rod thats ticked all the boxes. I even seen some of the much more expensive off the shelf rods with poorly aligned guides here and there or a wonky upper section that leans one way or the other. Some twisted that bad on the backbone test they were a joke. Especially important on the upper section of a two price. Get that wrong and the dann thing will twist loose or misalign whilst the pressures on during tussle. Had that happen once with a big trout on using a rod that did the twist years ago, was not a good feeling seeing that during the fight. I've made sure all my gears right these days doing those simple checks and its a reason why I only buy my rods hands on these days.
same here buddy if there is ten rods i will check them all out as you said only some will be nice and straight etc if your confident in that rod it will catch fish

Return to “Tackle Store Reviews”