Donut trip off Mallacoota 11/2

Southern Bluefin Tuna, Kingies, Marlin and other game fish.
Hosery

Donut trip off Mallacoota 11/2

Post by Hosery » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:50 am

With the recent reports from Mallacoota being marlin firing I decided it would be rude not to head for a look. Changed a bearing and was good to go.
The alarm was set for 1.45am. Crawled out of bed and Waited for my mate to turn up. Hit the road by 2. Quick fuel/coffee stop on the way and got to the ramp by 5.45. Headed out towards the shelf. Soon as the water hit 22 degrees mate yells there 1. It swam along the surface for a little while than disappeared. Bit of bait was busting up also. Safe to say we were excited. So out with the skirts. That’s as close as we came all day. Pulled almost every lure I had but no luck. By about 11 it was getting rather lumpy so had to head back in. Slow rough trip at that.

Back home and boat/gear cleaned up by 6. Very big day for nothing. But that’s fishing. Leaves me keener for next time.
Last edited by Hosery on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Donut trip off Mallacoota 11/2

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 am

Good effort mate
Better luck next time

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:03 am

Like you said that’s fishing.
There is always next time :thumbsup:

Paulanderson
Has liked: 50 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:57 pm

That was a long costly trip for zero. Did you try picking up a few live baits and fishing them around the bait balls/patches? That may have been more effective.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Paulanderson wrote:That was a long costly trip for zero. Did you try picking up a few live baits and fishing them around the bait balls/patches? That may have been more effective.
Yeah but split the costs between 3 wasn’t to bad. And if I worried how much my fish cost me to catch I’d never go. Yeah we slow trolled some slimies aswell but untouched. I found bait hard to find. But my sounder needs some fine tuning won’t sound well above 3-5 knots so makes it hard.

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Hosery wrote:Hit the road by 2. Quick fuel/coffee stop on the way and got to the ramp by 5.45. Headed out towards the shelf..
Well that answers my question. I checked out the Mallacooota (Bastion Pt) ramp on Saturday morning, after catching some nice bream locally in the inlet, and noticed a good dozen or so trailers at the ramp, but could only see one boat in sight and so was wondering where all the boats had gone, and what they were chasing.....

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Hosery wrote:
Paulanderson wrote:That was a long costly trip for zero. Did you try picking up a few live baits and fishing them around the bait balls/patches? That may have been more effective.
Yeah but split the costs between 3 wasn’t to bad. And if I worried how much my fish cost me to catch I’d never go. Yeah we slow trolled some slimies aswell but untouched. I found bait hard to find. But my sounder needs some fine tuning won’t sound well above 3-5 knots so makes it hard.
I know the feeling. If i had to go out solo, i couldn't afford it,
I have a few mates and they all chip in with either bait and fuel money and works out even and also makes it more fun with mates

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Good effort did you consider other options or just trolling skirts.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Queasy wrote:
Hosery wrote:Hit the road by 2. Quick fuel/coffee stop on the way and got to the ramp by 5.45. Headed out towards the shelf..
Well that answers my question. I checked out the Mallacooota (Bastion Pt) ramp on Saturday morning, after catching some nice bream locally in the inlet, and noticed a good dozen or so trailers at the ramp, but could only see one boat in sight and so was wondering where all the boats had gone, and what they were chasing.....
Good work on the bream. Yeah the marlin had been going off. I no a fella up there caught 13 in 2 days before I got there and managed 3 while I was out there so I’d say that’s a ripper bite. If only I could hook 1 I’d be stoked!!!

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 am

Hosery wrote: Good work on the bream. Yeah the marlin had been going off. I no a fella up there caught 13 in 2 days before I got there and managed 3 while I was out there so I’d say that’s a ripper bite. If only I could hook 1 I’d be stoked!!!
Blimey, 13 marlin over a weekend sounds pretty full on, and yeah as you say, 1 would be enough for some excitement.

Return to “Game Fishing”