patterson lakes canal bream

phil1818

patterson lakes canal bream

Post by phil1818 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi guys this is my first post here..

Most of my fishing is done from my boat in both bays up until I started a new job on a mates place down at patterson lakes on on the canals... I threw the rob in the bus and thought id have a crack at the old land based after seeing a few chaps swimming around the canal.

First tried flicking a few soft plastics around and then a few hard bodies for stuff all so then I switched up to just a plain old hook, couple of split shots and a bit of bread on the hook and BINGO!!! landed 7 bream in around 40 mins with the biggest being 35cm and fat as a house!!! just goes to show that the humble old bit of bread on a hook gets the job done better then all the fancy stuff sometimes.. had an absolute ball on the bream as i have never caught them before but bugger me on light gear there an absolute hoot!
Attachments
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_E0431-min.JPG

LINwAd

Re: patterson lakes canal bream

Post by LINwAd » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:26 pm

Great work mate. Good job.
LandFishTV creator - https://www.youtube.com/landfishtv/ Enjoy! :water:

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:33 pm

Nice report and pics!
:welcome: to the forum :)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Well done mate.
Sometimes the old ways pay off.
Keep up with the good reports

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:00 pm

Yeh cheers guys I was pretty dam chuffed with the session

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:04 pm

well done yep your spot on with bread i was chucking some soft plastics at mordy pier the other week there was a fishing clinic for kids etc fishing in the creek one couple (rude) were catching good size mullet every couple of minutes so a lady asked the what they were using as bait both total ignored her so i cut in and told her to have a look what they were putting on the hook it was easy to spot bread i hope she just went to the local bakery and got bread for everyone

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:12 pm

well done mate, theres some big brutes in there,
Bream are always easier to catch on bait than on lures, use lures if you want a challenge!!!

brybry

Post by brybry » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:45 pm

Bream in Patterson Lakes are suckers for bread. I think they either get fed bread or pick up scraps from locals feeding ducks. A compressed small piece (so it slowly sinks) thrown in every 10 or so seconds will get them around pretty quickly. Then just throw one in with a hook buried in it... The bigger ones usually hold back initially but once you get a school worked up they will join in.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:10 am

phil1818 wrote:Hi guys this is my first post here..

Most of my fishing is done from my boat in both bays up until I started a new job on a mates place down at patterson lakes on on the canals... I threw the rob in the bus and thought id have a crack at the old land based after seeing a few chaps swimming around the canal.

First tried flicking a few soft plastics around and then a few hard bodies for stuff all so then I switched up to just a plain old hook, couple of split shots and a bit of bread on the hook and BINGO!!! landed 7 bream in around 40 mins with the biggest being 35cm and fat as a house!!! just goes to show that the humble old bit of bread on a hook gets the job done better then all the fancy stuff sometimes.. had an absolute ball on the bream as i have never caught them before but bugger me on light gear there an absolute hoot!
Hi and welcome to the forum Phil, when you used bread did you roll it into a ball or just break a piece off and use it like that ?...

I read that Brybry rolls them into a ball...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:00 pm

Nice! Using Bait is a great way to find the fish, catch em on lures when you want to up the challenge level :)
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Return to “Melbourne Fishing Reports - Port Phillip Bay and Mornington Peninsula”