Any advice on Boat Insurance?

Hydroman

Re: Any advice on Boat Insurance?

Post by Hydroman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 pm

RACV provide Roadside Assist for the trailer ONLY if in an accident. I discovered "that"fine print the hard way. Also found out on the same day my car roadside assist only covered me for the car. That was an interesting discovery on a trip back from Eden and something I wish I had of been more diligent about beforehand so this is a very good topic.

From the small amount of time i have looked at the policies, Club Marine seem to have the best in all over cover. They offer a lot as compared to say a RACV.....but you do pay for it as they are not the cheapest. As silly as it sounds....I am still with RACV as their price for my boat was very competitive and I now know not to trust the workmanship from a certain trailer manufacturer on a new trailer so hopefully will not be stuck on the side of the road again.

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:28 pm

In that case, it's now between Yamaha or club marine.

sturgeon
Has liked: 14 times

Post by sturgeon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Thanks. I did search and read that thread. Shd I have used that and dig up an old thread or start a new one?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Hydroman wrote:RACV provide Roadside Assist for the trailer ONLY if in an accident. I discovered "that"fine print the hard way. Also found out on the same day my car roadside assist only covered me for the car. That was an interesting discovery on a trip back from Eden and something I wish I had of been more diligent about beforehand so this is a very good topic.

From the small amount of time i have looked at the policies, Club Marine seem to have the best in all over cover. They offer a lot as compared to say a RACV.....but you do pay for it as they are not the cheapest. As silly as it sounds....I am still with RACV as their price for my boat was very competitive and I now know not to trust the workmanship from a certain trailer manufacturer on a new trailer so hopefully will not be stuck on the side of the road again.
Do you have top cover or basic cover
When ever i had trouble with the car they have towed the trailer also.
Or when broke down out of 270km out of townsville then towed the boat all the way back to accommodation they organised and then took the car to get fixed.

They have towed it 200km for me on way back from bermagui.
My road side service covers me my wife car and any car i drive. Including the boat 8f the battery if flat etc

Hydroman

Post by Hydroman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:23 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Hydroman wrote:RACV provide Roadside Assist for the trailer ONLY if in an accident. I discovered "that"fine print the hard way. Also found out on the same day my car roadside assist only covered me for the car. That was an interesting discovery on a trip back from Eden and something I wish I had of been more diligent about beforehand so this is a very good topic.

Do you have top cover or basic cover
When ever i had trouble with the car they have towed the trailer also.
Or when broke down out of 270km out of townsville then towed the boat all the way back to accommodation they organised and then took the car to get fixed.

They have towed it 200km for me on way back from bermagui.
My road side service covers me my wife car and any car i drive. Including the boat 8f the battery if flat etc
What added to my problems mate is the car is a company vehicle and I found out (when stuck on the side of the road) that the roadside assist we have under our lease only covers for the car, not a trailer so I copped it from both ends that day! My fault, I should have been more aware of the policy.....I also wish I did not trust the workmanship on a new trailer!! How silly was I to think they knew what they were doing.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Yep how silly lol
Comes down to the fine print and knowing exactly what your covered for.

When we got the territory they said we get racv road side service.
Looking at the policy it was only basic coverage and not worth it.
Only covered first 6km of towing and no taxi for pick up etc. No offer of hire car or accomadation if travelling.
So i said take it off the value of the car since my cover is top cover get unlimited towing for car or trailer, $2000 worth of car hire and accommodation if break down 150km away from home. And unlimited call outs

Return to “Boating”