Tarago River and general advice

FishHunter81

Tarago River and general advice

Post by FishHunter81 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:24 am

Hi peeps. I am taking the family over Easter to glen cromie caravan park in Drouin and will be fishing in the tarago river. Have been going there for a few years but never fished this river, only taken kids to trout farm which you can't class as fishing. Anyway, was after some advice firstly on access areas and known spots on this river. Don't want to drive too far from glen cromie. Also having not fished freshwater much, was wondering what rig set up, baits, lures, species and general tips for fishing this river. Any advice appreciated. :water:

bilby

Re: Tarago River and general advice

Post by bilby » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:25 am

There is a deep pool on the corner at the bottom of the park and some good undercut banks. I haven't been there for a very long time, but there used to be lots of freshwater mussels in the gravel banks on the bend up from there, and some very large freshwater blue crayfish. I have also seen big blackfish sitting in the pools in the early morning. Fishing is fairly hopeless at Glen Cromie during the day, mainly because of swimmers, noise, etc., so I would be trying very early and late in the day. I've heard there are trout, but I suspect your best bet would be a bunch of worms thrown under an undercut or snag.

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 am

Thanks for that advice. Its funny you mentioned crayfish. The park owners told me that one year the park woke up to find crayfish all over the place. The river had supposingly over flowed. If I wanted to get crays I'd need netting I suspect. No experience in that lol. Yes early morning is what I'll be doing. Was thinking of worm and I've heard chicken cooked. I'll give it a go.

All ways fishin

Post by All ways fishin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:28 pm

Fishing for crays is easy and cheap I just buy liver out of supermarket and a fishing landing net, tie piece of live to som3 good string around it throw in water and make shore you tie the line to something solid that a cray can’t take of with bait, leave it in water an half to an hour and check it by pulling it in very slowly so cray doesn’t get spooked and when close enough net him from behind so if he swims off it’s strait into your net can take hours for a cray to work it’s way up a river if there is none close by but the smell of liver alway get them for me. Can also leave liver in sun for a day to make it really smelly. Good luck if tryin* for crays, there’s not many trout there any more, there used to be 20-25 years ago you would see them everywhere, but never no you luck....
Cheers

Pistol

Post by Pistol » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:56 am

I have a fair bit to do with Glen Cromie through work. Last time I was there there were trout swimming in the river in the middle of the park, but I'd go upstream if I wanted to catch one. Best bait in my view is a cricket on light gear, no sinker. Toss it into the runs where they flow into pools. Watch out for snakes!

FishHunter81

Post by FishHunter81 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks guys for the tips. See how I go

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”