offshore Lakes Entrance for Easter

Hosery

Re: offshore Lakes Entrance for Easter

Post by Hosery » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:54 pm

Lakes isn’t heavy reef in most places. Where you are when that shot was taken is on reef or awful close. That mark saying reef looks to be about on the edge possibly head a little deeper. See that tiny circle in about 33 metres out from your mark saying flathead. Between there and your boat is all reefy. If your pulling pinkies your on the money.
If I’m trying for flatties I’d be else where from that mark. Try heading west along the coast.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:46 pm

Hosery wrote:Lakes isn’t heavy reef in most places. Where you are when that shot was taken is on reef or awful close. That mark saying reef looks to be about on the edge possibly head a little deeper. See that tiny circle in about 33 metres out from your mark saying flathead. Between there and your boat is all reefy. If your pulling pinkies your on the money.
If I’m trying for flatties I’d be else where from that mark. Try heading west along the coast.
Cheers mate!
Any idea where the bronzies lurk? Lol

All ways fishin

Post by All ways fishin » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:53 pm

re-tyred wrote:So if you are down for Easter and need an idea where to go.
Pipeline 26mtrs has been ok, a bit patchy you need to put the time in. We tried the tower on the beach for a gummy or flatty, it was lunchtime by the time we went there and did no good. However if you are down early over Easter it might be worth a look as it is the full moon, but if it was me I would try out wider. 3-5mile wider at the pipe.
We had a few pinkies and one good snapper straight off Metung in 38mtrs today, only half the distance to the pipe so worth a go there if you don't want to go further down.
Last week tried out at 4 mile 6 mile and 8 mile South East of Lakes did no good at all, so the great run we have had out there seems to have stopped for now.
Nice catch :thumbsup:

How’s the bar been lately ? thinking of heading out after long weekend when the madness has disappeared

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:01 pm

Headed out at daylight. Nice morning smooth sea just a little chill in the air. First stop was at the mark mentioned earlier in here. Straight off Metung 37mtrs. The charter vessel Panama 2 was on it so stopped for a chat. They weren't doing anything spectacular so I moved a mile west to another small bit of reef. Not much happening there, so after half an hour I moved deeper away from the reef and managed 3 tiger flathead. Decided to move in close to see if I could rustle up a gummy, no luck with that but managed another 3 nice flatties, best was 46cm. The morning was ticking on and I like to get home for lunch, so one more try on another bit of rock in the area. Good bite and bit of a fight and up comes a 48cm snapper. Oh well I have a feed. Did one last drift across the bottom as I was packing up. Forgot I hadn't slacked the drag off after the snapper. I was facing away from the rods and heard a bit of a squeak that sounded strange. Looked around and the rail mount rod holder is slowly twisting down and the rod is bent double with the first 1/3 already under water. Immediate reaction was I am hooked on the reef then I saw the rod bouncing as I dove for it. Managed to save it and backed the drag off a bit then this unknown beast is peeling line off. The rod was banging and thumping very large fish type of action. I managed to slow it then get some line back, then off it went again. A few more minutes and I have about 20 meters back still 20 to go and can't see what it is . Then a big run and slack line. Came up minus the hook and a neat cut, my guess is another toothy like the hammer head last Thursday. It had a similar feel. If it was a snapper it was a bigun. So back home for chicken sandwich for lunch.
Attachments
east eric shot April.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:48 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Hosery wrote:Lakes isn’t heavy reef in most places. Where you are when that shot was taken is on reef or awful close. That mark saying reef looks to be about on the edge possibly head a little deeper. See that tiny circle in about 33 metres out from your mark saying flathead. Between there and your boat is all reefy. If your pulling pinkies your on the money.
Cheers mate!
I made a crude attempt to overlay your pic on my google earth reef file. Seems you were close. The reef in that area is just half to one meter bumps. You need to travel slow and look for the fish hanging on it. So a bump up and a patch of fish usually means reef. It is on a narrow ridge running roughly parallel to shore. Once you are in 39=40 mtrs you are out on mud bottom. No reef inside of 35mtrs along there. You have to be another 4mile west to find reef in 26mtrs.
Attachments
overlay 3.jpg
overlay 2.jpg
overlay 1.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:50 pm

re-tyred wrote:Headed out at daylight. Nice morning smooth sea just a little chill in the air. First stop was at the mark mentioned earlier in here. Straight off Metung 37mtrs. The charter vessel Panama 2 was on it so stopped for a chat. They weren't doing anything spectacular so I moved a mile west to another small bit of reef. Not much happening there, so after half an hour I moved deeper away from the reef and managed 3 tiger flathead. Decided to move in close to see if I could rustle up a gummy, no luck with that but managed another 3 nice flatties, best was 46cm. The morning was ticking on and I like to get home for lunch, so one more try on another bit of rock in the area. Good bite and bit of a fight and up comes a 48cm snapper. Oh well I have a feed. Did one last drift across the bottom as I was packing up. Forgot I hadn't slacked the drag off after the snapper. I was facing away from the rods and heard a bit of a squeak that sounded strange. Looked around and the rail mount rod holder is slowly twisting down and the rod is bent double with the first 1/3 already under water. Immediate reaction was I am hooked on the reef then I saw the rod bouncing as I dove for it. Managed to save it and backed the drag off a bit then this unknown beast is peeling line off. The rod was banging and thumping very large fish type of action. I managed to slow it then get some line back, then off it went again. A few more minutes and I have about 20 meters back still 20 to go and can't see what it is . Then a big run and slack line. Came up minus the hook and a neat cut, my guess is another toothy like the hammer head last Thursday. It had a similar feel. If it was a snapper it was a bigun. So back home for chicken sandwich for lunch.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:53 pm

All ways fishin wrote:
Pipeline 26mtrs has been ok, a bit patchy you need to put the time in. We tried the tower on the beach for a gummy or flatty, it was lunchtime by the time we went there and did no good. However if you are down early over Easter it might be worth a look as it is the full moon, but if it was me I would try out wider. 3-5mile wider at the pipe.
We had a few pinkies and one good snapper straight off Metung in 38mtrs today, only half the distance to the pipe so worth a go there if you don't want to go further down.
Last week tried out at 4 mile 6 mile and 8 mile South East of Lakes did no good at all, so the great run we have had out there seems to have stopped for now.

How’s the bar been lately ? thinking of heading out after long weekend when the madness has disappeared
Bar has plenty of depth on it. I went out on the leads this morning at half tide and had 5.5mtrs minimum depth. Flat calm today. You are right about the madness I launched early just to be in the water before it got too hectic. Trailer park was half full, completely full when I got back at 12.30 :o_0:

All ways fishin

Post by All ways fishin » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:00 pm

re-tyred wrote:
All ways fishin wrote:

Bar has plenty of depth on it. I went out on the leads this morning at half tide and had 5.5mtrs minimum depth. Flat calm today. You are right about the madness I launched early just to be in the water before it got too hectic. Trailer park was half full, completely full when I got back at 12.30 :o_0:
Nice catch again :thumbsup:
That’s good hopefully I can get out later this week for a bash :banana:
Cheers :cheers:

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:50 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Kimtown wrote:
Cheers mate!
I made a crude attempt to overlay your pic on my google earth reef file. Seems you were close. The reef in that area is just half to one meter bumps. You need to travel slow and look for the fish hanging on it. So a bump up and a patch of fish usually means reef. It is on a narrow ridge running roughly parallel to shore. Once you are in 39=40 mtrs you are out on mud bottom. No reef inside of 35mtrs along there. You have to be another 4mile west to find reef in 26mtrs.
Wow thanks for all that effort mate! Unfortunately I'm packing up tomorrow and can't put it all to good use :( but will definitely keep this thread bookmarked for next time!

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:53 pm

Conditions offshore this morning were amazing. Maybe the single best day I've ever had offshore (weatherwise) legit mirror with not a single bit of swell.

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”