sirsquidalot
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Carp herpes virus - alarm bells ringing

Post by sirsquidalot » Sat May 12, 2018 8:17 pm

frightening read tbh :(

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Sat May 12, 2018 10:37 pm

Interesting read. Raises some good points and some concerning potential outcomes from someone who knows there stuff.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 13, 2018 2:53 am

You can find the study he is referring to here: https://www.pestsmart.org.au/final-repo ... ct-cyhv-3/

What he has failed to mention is that there were high mortalities in the control trials (i.e. non target species exposed to the same treatment just without the virus), that none of the non target species had lesions consistent with the virus and that when they tested the tissue samples from non target species none of them showed any sign of being infected.

That is not to say it is case closed and certainly I'd be interested in learning more about why so many of the silver perch died, but I wouldn't be surprised if the aquaculture bloke has some conflict of interest somewhere
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:54 am

Interesting read

ChrisD
Has liked: 24 times

Post by ChrisD » Sun May 13, 2018 9:10 am

It is a real catch 22 - pretty well everyone wants carp gone, or at least vastly reduced, but every option put forward seems to have risk attached.
I'm no expert so have to go by what information we are told - and there is always two sides of every story - but I have to put my faith in fisheries that the appropriate work is being done and the risks weighed up. It is still a way off before anything happens, so lets see what more comes out between now and then.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 13, 2018 9:33 am

Definitely an interesting read. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun May 13, 2018 10:21 am

Work brought in a professor to prove we could work in 47 degree weather
Because the airconditioning wasn't working, at 1 of the meeting, he walked out
It was 22 degrees.
I'm not saying this is happening, in this case, but some will get the result that is required by the person paying the bills.
Gra

brybry

Post by brybry » Sun May 13, 2018 10:50 am

4liters wrote:You can find the study he is referring to here: https://www.pestsmart.org.au/final-repo ... ct-cyhv-3/

What he has failed to mention is that there were high mortalities in the control trials (i.e. non target species exposed to the same treatment just without the virus), that none of the non target species had lesions consistent with the virus and that when they tested the tissue samples from non target species none of them showed any sign of being infected.

That is not to say it is case closed and certainly I'd be interested in learning more about why so many of the silver perch died, but I wouldn't be surprised if the aquaculture bloke has some conflict of interest somewhere
Perhaps. What it does point out though is the test results need to be consistent and repeatable. And that that the cause of high mortality in natives needs to be categorically confirmed before the decision is made to release the virus. There is no room for speculation.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 13, 2018 10:58 am

brybry wrote:
4liters wrote:You can find the study he is referring to here: https://www.pestsmart.org.au/final-repo ... ct-cyhv-3/

Perhaps. What it does point out though is the test results need to be consistent and repeatable. And that that the cause of high mortality in natives needs to be categorically confirmed before the decision is made to release the virus. There is no room for speculation.
I haven’t been following the research but I am pretty sure that is just one of a number of studies done into its effects on Australian natives. It also backs up what has been seen overseas in both lab studies and in the real world in virus infected waterways- that the virus unique to carp
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Other Species”