Has liked: 72 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 13, 2018 9:02 am

Looking alright hope it all works out for you :thumbsup:

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:28 am

Thx guys, its been a long journey so far and will have to do a lot of the new fit out mod's myself.
So no doubt there will be a big learning curve happening, fibre Glassing, wiring, etc.
A new boat might have been easier !.
But hey, it's all about the challenge........

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sun May 13, 2018 10:48 am

Yep just get it on the water and sort out the details later.

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Suggest that you review and decide where to run your electrical etc. cables (not Steering )from front to back should be a priority, trying to figure it out after installing storage might be too late.

Remember that you want to be able to access ALL wiring, easily and simply - Nothing like having to rip boat apart to access a "Faulty wire"

Suggest that you make loom 3 piece - 1 = One end at cabin end // 2 = Joiner loon, under floor and easily accessible // 3 = One end at rear of boat.

All wires/conductors should be terminated in Waterproof Connectors and properly supported when installed - No wires/conductors to take any weight after installation. Each wire/conductor in each loom to be a single wire from connector to connector - No joins

Yes I can hear people say too many connectors - Not true, I used to work for Burton Cables as Quality Manager - They made Automotive looms, every one of which had a main loom to which separate "other looms" attached ei, Headlight // Taillight // Instruments // Tights Ignition // Fuel sender etc.

Also be sure to select the correct size wire for each circuit - Wires aren't wires - Some circuits / applications need larger wires / some visa versa. Where possible enclose wires/conductors in corrugated tube and use as little electrical tape a possible - Make accessibility easier.

Plan for the unexpected // worse case scenario.

If in doubt, refer to a good Auto Electrician

Good luck.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun May 13, 2018 1:32 pm

frozenpod wrote:Yep just get it on the water and sort out the details later.
Yep, that's the aim.

Wiring will be a biggy for sure. This will be sorted out at the same time and along with the storage.
My idea is to run all the wiring in piping under the coaming and well out of the way.
I've already starting collecting electrical fittings, which will get mounted first, in position, then wire accordingly.
Most of everything is getting replaced, was 30 plus years old so it was time for an upgrade.
It all starts adding up, Bilge pumps, deck wash, lights, sounder equipment etc etc, I have quite a collection happening.
The biggest cost was the new sounder and along with appropriate transducers, which was discretely hidden away from " her indoors" LoL
I'm not to bothered about rushing it and getting it back on the water for this up coming season, it always was to get it done properly to see me out.

Col

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Do a schematic / Diagram of all of your wiring loom/s - Every connector, with wire location in each connector plus the wire colour and application. Photo's with text would be great
Keep it in a safe place for reference, will help to troubleshoot any issues you may have during installation or post launch.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Sun May 13, 2018 3:55 pm

russellh2 wrote:Do a schematic / Diagram of all of your wiring loom/s - Every connector, with wire location in each connector plus the wire colour and application. Photo's with text would be great
Keep it in a safe place for reference, will help to troubleshoot any issues you may have during installation or post launch.
Great advice cheers.
Electrikery is one of my weakest points.
Just rewired an old British bike, with a complete pre supplied loom and only photo's got me thru from the old loom.
Will decide come closer whether I'll get some one to come in and do it, or whether or not I'll attempt it.
You sound as thou your in the game ??

Col

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 13, 2018 4:12 pm

If you are planning on running nmea2000 network then make sure you run appropriate cables prior so your not having to redo them

Return to “Boating”