Getting on with boat re-build

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by Nude up » Sun May 13, 2018 4:22 pm

If you are going to run wires don’t skimp and use tinned copper wire not automotive cheaper wire it will pay you back later.

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Sun May 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Cant wait to see the finished product. Looken good so far

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 pm

Be good to see finished

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun May 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Yep I want to see it too :thumbsup:

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:57 pm

OK, this subjects probably been done to death, But, Electrickery aint my fortee.
So, doing some more pre ordering, I want to get some LED strip lighting. I want to put it under the bottom shelves on both sides and up in the cuddy area, to light the floor area. Now, on line, there's plenty of different lengths for sale, firstly I was reading some preferred white and some blue,
So that's question one.
second question, I found some 1200 length waterproof strips, in both colours, 3m tape adhesive, do these come so you can actually join them together easily enough ? I was presuming I would go full length both sides which would be about 2.4 meters long each side.
Thirdly, would it be the go to mount then on the underside of the bottom shelf, so they shine directly to the floor. I have a carpeted board on the face of the shelf, so they will be hidden up beyond them, but would imagine that it would then radiate and reflect the whole floor from there.
Hey, sorry for the newbie questions, as mentioned, Electrickery ain't my thing, but gotta learn sometime.
I'll probably add some more LED strip lighting as I go and work out where everything's going, and then have a separate switch panel isolating different areas. One thing I remember from old, even though I had reasonable lighting before, the amount of times night fishing the damn torch was needed.
Thanks in advance,
Please keep answers simple !!!!!

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Mon May 14, 2018 8:03 pm

I was going to do the same and went and bought 5 metres of blue led tape, it appears you can cut and join as required, i got mine off ebay and they had some examples of a boat done in blue then somebody pointed out blue light attracts the bugs, so i am rethinking amber lights
hope this helps
cheers and good luck with the project

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Hey spudtrans, yeah I've found it all on line, did you say you bought it in a 5 mtr roll ?
That would seem the better way to go rather than joining it surely !.
So, going a colour is how your going ?
Why not the cool white ?
Any reason

Col

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Mon May 14, 2018 8:48 pm

hi col
yep 5 mtr roll around $15
10 connectors $6
I have a haines signature the cabin lights and side lights and work lights on the rocket launcher are pretty good but once my experience levels increase i will do more nights and then will update with more lighting. the reason for blue or red is because of night blindness, well that is what i have read your eyes adapt better from the blue or amber versus a white light.
with the tape even thought it has double sided tape somebody also suggested a dob of silastic every now and then as a fail safe.
Just something else for you to think about.
lol. hope it all goes well, if i can be of any further help just yell.
i did see them locally in dandenong from ebay also

The Rhodopsin contained within the rods in your eyes are less sensitive to the color red within longer wavelengths of light. You may have seen the Military using red light to read maps and preserve their night vision. Although, there has been a shift recently to using green light or a blue-green light instead of red.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Cheers for that Spud,
As mentioned, collecting at the minute, I'll have to have a think on colour tho.

Cheers
Col

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:30 am

spudtrans wrote:I was going to do the same and went and bought 5 metres of blue led tape, it appears you can cut and join as required, i got mine off ebay and they had some examples of a boat done in blue then somebody pointed out blue light attracts the bugs, so i am rethinking amber lights
hope this helps
cheers and good luck with the project
Also blue reduces the build up of.melatonin in the brain reducing drowiness anf the abbility to sleep

Return to “Boating”