Life is definitely tougher without a boat

Pier Fishing, Rock Fishing and general land based fishing around Melbourne
STriplett1997
Has liked: 14 times

Life is definitely tougher without a boat

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Even though my boat is under repair, I still have to get out fishing whether it’s on someone else’s boat or land based...
I haven’t been able to fish for the Snapper or Gummies like I would be right now but I’ve had a bit of fun and that’s the main thing sometimes.
Just a little report of the last couple weeks.

Sorrento:
C6B8EF0D-6B89-46A9-AD2A-1BC721E66269.jpeg
Mordialloc :
92200909-F480-4FE6-AF13-A3F44FFE8BB1.jpeg
0AE6372B-68AE-4CFC-943A-786AB6B90663.jpeg
1D06F105-24B3-401A-A9E2-CF4F216AE48F.jpeg

Sandringham Rocks :
B9235D49-B45A-4170-91E4-08FAC44773B0.jpeg
4CC8598C-6ACB-499A-820D-2D6356077913.jpeg
Some decent sizes around. 51cm the biggest. Dropped a few small ones in 30cm range and let a few go.
Last edited by STriplett1997 on Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Life is definitely tougher without a boat

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Sounds like you are still doing alright without the boat mate and catching plenty!!!
Great bag of squid. Those sambos look chunky, some nice pinkies as well!
How much longer till you think you will get your boat back? :P

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:39 pm

Cant complain about catches like that

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Lightningx wrote:Sounds like you are still doing alright without the boat mate and catching plenty!!!

Thanks mate. Also done a couple sessions for Mulloway in the Pato. Long cold nights.... been using fresh squid but I think a change in approach is in order.. might have to make a bait trap for some live mullet. All great days/nights there yes! Seen quite a few Reds 4kg and over caught off the piers so I’m trying that way whenever the weather is crap and I’m free. Hmm.. well, it’s suppose to be done by the start of next month, probably around the 5th I’d say. Still.. it’s a great change, actually enjoying the land based a bit too.

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm

smile0784 wrote:Cant complain about catches like that

Taste great that’s for sure. Didn’t mind the sambos when fresh and bled either.. usually for me they go to gummy bait. But not a fan of using fresh baits frozen anyway so gave em a shot.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 16, 2018 12:48 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Sounds like you are still doing alright without the boat mate and catching plenty!!!

Thanks mate. Also done a couple sessions for Mulloway in the Pato. Long cold nights.... been using fresh squid but I think a change in approach is in order.. might have to make a bait trap for some live mullet. All great days/nights there yes! Seen quite a few Reds 4kg and over caught off the piers so I’m trying that way whenever the weather is crap and I’m free. Hmm.. well, it’s suppose to be done by the start of next month, probably around the 5th I’d say. Still.. it’s a great change, actually enjoying the land based a bit too.
Funny you mentioned mulloway in the patto.
Just a couple of days ago my missus showed me a pic of a couple of blokes with a pair of nice sized mulloway from there.
They both looked good size :P

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Lightningx wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:

Just a couple of days ago my missus showed me a pic of a couple of blokes with a pair of nice sized mulloway from there.
Yeah mate, they were 10 and 12kg models. Both over 1m

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 16, 2018 12:52 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:

Yep so you know about it and I think from memory they were caught half an hour apart. I have had many long cold nights as well in the past. The live mullets sounds like a top idea :thumbsup:

STriplett1997

Post by STriplett1997 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Lightningx wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:

Yep so you know about it and I think from memory they were caught half an hour apart. I have had many long cold nights as well in the past. The live mullets sounds like a top idea :thumbsup:

It’s the one species I’ve always just marvelled at and haven’t started to do some work on. But now after having a couple sessions I’m really determined to nail it. And when I can use the boat again, I’ll be doing long hours down the Mosquito Channel in WP. Watching Wingas Mulloway videos gets me G’d up to try... lol

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed May 16, 2018 1:07 pm

STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
STriplett1997 wrote:

It’s the one species I’ve always just marvelled at and haven’t started to do some work on. But now after having a couple sessions I’m really determined to nail it. And when I can use the boat again, I’ll be doing long hours down the Mosquito Channel in WP. Watching Wingas Mulloway videos gets me G’d up to try... lol
Yea I have watched all those as well. My friend is actually good friends with Dave standing the one who caught the 45kg fish was it? Something like that.
Anyway don’t be discouraged if you go a bunch of times and catch nothing. I had to go many many times to get my first one.
Felt like giving up many times along the way mate :P

Return to “Melbourne Land Based Fishing”