Post by blacklab99 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Cheers I will do....
Thanks

col

repspec
Has liked: 11 times

Re: Getting on with boat re-build

Post by repspec » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:34 am

plan plan plan is all i can say when it comes to wiring.

This is how i would do a brand new refit.

(depending on how much electronics you are running off it) Run a dual 6mm(44a) tinned wired from the battery switch (with a fuse at the + on the common/accessories on the switch) Neg to 1 battery neg. Then run this up behind the dash to a terminal block and then run your bits and pieces to that.
If you dont, have a look at davey marines fb or insta pages. They have some stupidly neat fitouts, but it gives some ideas of how it can look.

Just remember that while the wires running through the rocket launcher looks neater, if you have an issue down the track, it can be a massive pain in the ass to replace the wires. Also drilling holes in s/s can take forever and also can weaken points where its drilled. Best thing i saw was a guy had one made up that had a seperate tube for the wires.

blacklab99
Has liked: 14 times

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi respec,
I may have a wee re think on the rocket launcher situation when I get back to my factory, I hear you on access afterwards and the drilling
point. Once I get back to the factory after the weekend, I'll pull out the launcher and have a ponder ! You may very well be right if I can come up
with a neat tube system, as long as its out of the way for the new bimini, food for thought but.
I'll have a look at that site, at davey marines for some inspiration, cheers for that.
Rb gave me a link yesterday for tycab which I had a good read of, which was brilliant.
But Yes, this will be a plan plan pan situation like you say.
Spoke to my fibre glasser yesterday about pick up for the boat and will probably be end of next week, he just has the tie down fittings for the transom to fit, which hadn't arrived yet and basically a couple of other little things and its done, so I probably need the boat in front of me first to plan out whats needed and I have a few more things to purchase then I'll have all the electrical fittings in front of me that I'll need.
I'm actually redesigning my side coaming panels in front of the shelf's, by the helm on the side of the boat to accommodate my radios and some accessory switches to free up space on the dash area, which isn't that big.
So I may start by doing that and fitting off all the electrical goodies in place first, then sit down and work out my wiring size requirements, then go from there, sound like that davey marine site will give me a better overall picture of different fitouts which I may be able to use on my boat.
Thanks respec, appreciated........

Col

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:07 pm

blacklab99 wrote:Hi respec,
I may have a wee re think on the rocket launcher situation when I get back to my factory, I hear you on access afterwards and the drilling
point. Once I get back to the factory after the weekend, I'll pull out the launcher and have a ponder ! You may very well be right if I can come up
with a neat tube system, as long as its out of the way for the new bimini, food for thought but.
I'll have a look at that site, at davey marines for some inspiration, cheers for that.
Rb gave me a link yesterday for tycab which I had a good read of, which was brilliant.
But Yes, this will be a plan plan pan situation like you say.
Spoke to my fibre glasser yesterday about pick up for the boat and will probably be end of next week, he just has the tie down fittings for the transom to fit, which hadn't arrived yet and basically a couple of other little things and its done, so I probably need the boat in front of me first to plan out whats needed and I have a few more things to purchase then I'll have all the electrical fittings in front of me that I'll need.
I'm actually redesigning my side coaming panels in front of the shelf's, by the helm on the side of the boat to accommodate my radios and some accessory switches to free up space on the dash area, which isn't that big.
So I may start by doing that and fitting off all the electrical goodies in place first, then sit down and work out my wiring size requirements, then go from there, sound like that davey marine site will give me a better overall picture of different fitouts which I may be able to use on my boat.
Thanks respec, appreciated........

Col
At the rate you're going .. bugger about thinking of living debt free mate :tongue:

While you are at it - you should think about a dedicated lockable cabinet for your new smart phone too!!!

Looking forward to see your pride and joy back in the factory :)

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:18 pm

Have seen some of the work online that Davey Marine do look like good operators.
Some things to consider is a fuse panel and the type of switch panel you require.
Narva make a few good products or blues systems.
https://www.bluesea.com
https://www.bluesea.com/products/5026/S ... _and_Cover
https://www.bluesea.com/products/catego ... eatherDeck
Something like this will be sufficient for most trailer boat fit outs. The fuse panels are good for electronics, radios etc then the switch panels are perfect for all your switched accessories. I would recommend working out exactly what you plan on installing then drawing a plan.

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Voodoo :rofl:
There will be a SPECIAL lock up cupboard for all my precious items !
And Yep, that sea change up north is lookin further and further away !
Cant go there with out a boat But.

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks RB,
Some good links from you and repspec and advice on how to go about it.
Will wait now till the boats in the shop and start from there, need to plan this properly.
As mentioned before, I'm going to fit in place all my electrix, ie deck wash pump, lighting radio gear etc etc
Then I'll draw up a plan with what switch and fuse panels I need, will be a big job for me, but looking forward to giving it a crack.

Cheers RB

Col

blacklab99

Post by blacklab99 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:55 pm

FINALLY :a_goodjob:

Pick up next tues/wed...............

This has been a saga an a half, as most that have read would realise.
Now it turns out, a few things I wanted done have been forgotten about !! Which when I got the call this arvo about what was actually done, minus my list that I gave him when I dropped the boat there, over a year ago now.......
But never mind !
Wanted the old instrument holes filled in and glassed over, NOPE, missed that, and a few other finishing items, But, the main basic structural things are done, Just stoked the thing will be back sitting in my shed.
I shall teach myself some "basic Fibre glassing" skills, Hell, what could go wrong !
Now the fit out can proceed, maybe one day, dare I say, I might be able to wet a line.
:super:

Col

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Woooohoooooo!
Bet you can’t wait :P

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Can always just cover the entire dash with a nice carbon fiber sheet or something similar that blends in nicely

Return to “Boating”