Tea Tree Snapper Comp is no longer

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Tea Tree Snapper Comp is no longer

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:21 am

Bayrock wrote:I went to a meeting of a fishing club a few years ago, all keen to get on board. 5 geriatrics sitting around a table in a pub greeted me, one of them could not hear well, and another could barely walk. I think their club folded a few months later when one of their members departed the earth. The fishing club scene needs a rethink to make it more enticing for my and younger generations.
Agree with this to some extent. When organisations become old boys clubs it’s hard for younger members to relate to the older guard. Having said that fishing clubs are a great way to learn of others and build a network.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:38 am

Going off what i have seen, the altona club near the boat ramp needs to start thinking of getting a few younger members involved if they want to keep it going.

100% agree with the learning from the older fisherman though

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:01 pm

purple5ive wrote:Going off what i have seen, the altona club near the boat ramp needs to start thinking of getting a few younger members involved if they want to keep it going.

Not necessarily older fisherman though plenty of young Anglers who know their stuff.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 pm

They mite know there studf but do they want to help put. Not really by sounds like it

baitworms

Post by baitworms » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Drugs, Booze, Pussy not in that order maybe but the only big red they'll know I cant say.

Josho

Post by Josho » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:20 pm

baitworms wrote:Drugs, Booze, Pussy not in that order maybe but the only big red they'll know I cant say.
Big Red?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:25 pm

rb85 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Going off what i have seen, the altona club near the boat ramp needs to start thinking of getting a few younger members involved if they want to keep it going.

Not necessarily older fisherman though plenty of young Anglers who know their stuff.
I wouldn't be joining a club to learn from the younger folks. Nothing against them.
I'm more interested in learning from the older guys about how they went about finding fish without a fishfinder. And things like that we take for granted these day's.
Moreso the old-school tips and tricks

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:27 pm

smile0784 wrote:They mite know there studf but do they want to help put. Not really by sounds like it
When we talk about young generations are we talking 18-25, 25-35, 35-45 45-60 or above.
What about women are they willing to help, transgender, gays, lesbians, bi, wheelchair bound, what about those lazy bloody babies cant be bothered.
Maybe a few fishing vic members bemoaning the end of this comp and suggesting its the younger members who aren't willing to help should lead by example.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:29 pm

purple5ive wrote:
rb85 wrote:

I wouldn't be joining a club to learn from the younger folks. Nothing against them.
I'm more interested in learning from the older guys about how they went about finding fish without a fishfinder. And things like that we take for granted these day's.
Moreso the old-school tips and tricks
You may not be thats all good each to their own my view is theres good young and old fisherman and those who are learning at old and young ages.

Experience is time on the water.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:42 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:
hornet wrote:I'll play the devils advocate... Look at the bright side there will be more snapper roaming around this coming season without the comp running.
You gotta admit it's a bit of a slaughter over the period the comp runs. It's not for a genuine feed in the day of a normal fisho.
Not to mention the rumours of up sizing every year.
To each his own I don't condemn anyone who likes competitions... it's just not for me.
I am the devils advocate!

Firstly only two fish per angler could be weighed in for the comp, even though the catch limit per angler is 10 snapper under 45 cms or 3 over 45 cms and 7 under.

The average catch rate for the comp per angler is around 1 fish per registered angler. The last year the comp was held, there were about 2,100 registered anglers and a total of 900+ fish weighed in.

So call the comp an whole sale slaughter is really stretching it. Especially when non competition anglers have been caught with catches in excess of the bag limits and some were even running a production line, making multiple trips in a day, unloading their catch at the ramp and then heading out to catch more.

In reality if you bag out on snapper, you need a very big family to eat all the snapper, a 5 kilo snapper lasts me at least a week.
Surely not all 2100 entrants weigh there fish for various reasons like believing they wont be close to winning, laziness or whatever.. also I highly doubt every person who gets onto a good patch just keeps 2 for weigh in, pulls up anchor and heads off home. As always, the common angler will be targeting for close to a bag, no different for the tea tree.

Head in the sand if you only think 900 were caught the entire comp weekend.
Like I said I am the devils advocate and you are deliberately trying to stir the pot.

I never said that only 900 fish were caught!

900 were weighed in, by the registered anglers, During the comp weekend there is possibly hundereds, even thousands of anglers that are not part of the comp, they launch at geelong area, weeribee, an up north Altona, St Kilda ect.

The catch rate for registered anglers that were allowed only weigh in 2 fish per registered angler. More than 1000, that is ONE ThOusand anglers did not catch any fish to weigh in!
Similary there is no data on the catch rate of the unregistered anglers, although there is the old adage that 10% of fishermen catch 90% of the fish.

Return to “Fishing Competitions”