Portable butane heaters

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Portable butane heaters

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:49 pm

Has anyone used the portable butane can/bottle heaters that are in camping shops? Heading out for the first night session this Saturday since summer and thinking one of these to keep warm will be very handy. Planning to use it on the boat which has its risks in itself (rb85 spare me the pep talk :rofl: ) but it beats getting hypothermia!

Would the $50 one do the job or worth splashing a little more cash? Input from anyone that has one would be great! :)

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Portable butane heaters

Post by Mattblack » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Thermos full of hot soup and a good beanie works it for me (I don't even like the looks of those BBQ's that sit in a rod holder & hang off the side of the boat to be honest)

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Mattblack wrote:Thermos full of hot soup and a good beanie works it for me (I don't even like the looks of those BBQ's that sit in a rod holder & hang off the side of the boat to be honest)
I spent a night offshore kilcunda this time last year and I can easily say it is without a doubt the coldest I've ever been once the frost crept in around 3am.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm

i honestly would advice against it, or have an extinguisher on standby.
proper wet weather gear, or snow gear work wonders..
i have aldi ski pants and a water and windproof jacket that keeps me nice and warm.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:18 pm

How much those Ski pants cost you Steve?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Kimtown wrote:Has anyone used the portable butane can/bottle heaters that are in camping shops? Heading out for the first night session this Saturday since summer and thinking one of these to keep warm will be very handy. Planning to use it on the boat which has its risks in itself (rb85 spare me the pep talk :rofl: ) but it beats getting hypothermia!

Would the $50 one do the job or worth splashing a little more cash? Input from anyone that has one would be great! :)
Do you have a link to what you want

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:33 pm

Suggest that you get Thermal underwear, top and bottom ( spend the money on good quality stuff ) add multiple layers of woollen clothing not synthetic // Goose down Jacket and pants // warm Beany // Woollen gloves and socks ( Buy yourself a pair of electric socks)
When I say woollen I do not mean woollen mix but pure greasy wool, will protect you even when it gets damp.

If not sure, go to a snow ski shop and ask for assistance, better to spend you money on clothing that will actually keep you warm. Do not skimp on cost as it is you that you want to keep warm

Also get yourself a couple of Survival Blankets ( foil type ) similar to what the rescuer services use.

BBQ on boat - No way, only takes moments for an explosion to occur that could kill you.

You can always put on extra cloth.

Hope this helps

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:38 pm

Lightningx wrote:How much those Ski pants cost you Steve?
ive had mine for a few years now $30 or so from the specials bin.
Thats what im wearing in the flathead video is posted up earlier.
it was 3 degrees that morning.. ugg boots, leggins, skipants, facebuff and 2 jumpers and a long sleeve shirt inside was the order of the day

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Mattblack wrote:Thermos full of hot soup and a good beanie works it for me (I don't even like the looks of those BBQ's that sit in a rod holder & hang off the side of the boat to be honest)
I spent a night offshore kilcunda this time last year and I can easily say it is without a doubt the coldest I've ever been once the frost crept in around 3am.
I reckon it's the coldest 20 minutes before dawn...a nip of whiskey in a hot coffee does wonders as well

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:14 pm

There fantastic....I've used them.in my boats and camping for years.

Place it away from the fuel tanks off course

I use mine on the casting deck....

Return to “General”