Tiagra vs Talica vs Saltiga

young_buck

Tiagra vs Talica vs Saltiga

Post by young_buck » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Hey Fisho's

Currently looking to add some gear for next years tuna run, have been looking at a few different setups and just wanted some opinions of what you may have used and might recommend.

Have done some research and narrowed it down to either the Talica 50, Tiagra50 or Saltiga 50, probably looking to get 3 combos in total, worth getting one of each or would you suggest one over the rest?

Thanks in advance,

(The winter itch is REAL... Bring on that early snapper bite)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Tiagra vs Talica vs Saltiga

Post by smile0784 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:17 am

I think its a.toss up from tiagra 50 and saltiga 50.
I put a thread up a while back discussing game spinning reels and most people said if casting for tuna get a saltiga or if just trolling just get a tiagra

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:19 am

The question you have to ask yourself is “do I want to run braid or mono”

The Talica is a popular reel for those that run heavy braid with a mono topshot. It’s also a lot more comfortable to handle due to it’s smaller size.

The tiagra is the best mono reel you can buy. You do have the option of running braid on it for ridiculous line capacity.

I know very little about the saltiga overheads but I thought they were more jigging reels than trolling? Take that with a grain of salt.

Pistol

Post by Pistol » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:04 pm

I was in a similar situation but have decided to go with an Avet Raptor reel. Google them! Stunning!

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:27 pm

I've got a tiagra 50wlrsa, and a couple of talica 25's, (the 25's are the equivalent of a 50w drag wise).
The Tiagra is a monster, but very large and bulky.
The talica are a great reel, much smaller, much nicer to use.
As previously stated, you need to run braid on the talicas, but it's a price worth paying, they are that nice to use.

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Ducky is correct, first determine whether you are spooling with Braid or Mono as you main line, that narrows the candidates. I would have a preference for braid for reasons Ducky mentioned above , plus less stretch (you can have a few meters of line out. And the thinner profile also has less drag when fighting a fish at distance, which in my mind lessen the chance of pulled hooks,(some will argue the other way as mono has better shock absorbancy etc). Note you will always run shock leader with braid anyways.
Good luck with your choice.

scott__henning

Post by scott__henning » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Pretty simple. Tiagra if you want mono.

Talica if you don’t mind backing with braid.

I just sold a tiagra to buy a talica, they are leaps and bounds ahead of the tiagra in terms of weight, power and size

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:31 pm

scott__henning wrote:Pretty simple. Tiagra if you want mono.

Talica if you don’t mind backing with braid.

I just sold a tiagra to buy a talica, they are leaps and bounds ahead of the tiagra in terms of weight, power and size
Sorry to hijack the post...Scotty have you sold the old boat yet or is it for sale again??

young_buck

Post by young_buck » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

No real preference to run braid or mono, however, the general vibe is Talica and Tiagra's very similar quality wise. The Talica may be the option being a little smaller and lighter.
Would the Talica 25 be able to handle a 100Kg+ tuna or worth going up to the 50? Would much rather be prepared than be stuck cursing the fishing gods.

Really appreciate the reply's though!

Cheers

CarlG

Post by CarlG » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:38 pm

young_buck wrote:Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

No real preference to run braid or mono, however, the general vibe is Talica and Tiagra's very similar quality wise. The Talica may be the option being a little smaller and lighter.
Would the Talica 25 be able to handle a 100Kg+ tuna or worth going up to the 50? Would much rather be prepared than be stuck cursing the fishing gods.

Really appreciate the reply's though!

Cheers
I'd be more than comfortable taking on barrel tuna with a talica 25. The talica 50 is more like a tiagra 80w drag wise.

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”