Bream on Flies?

Everything about bream
Windknot
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Bream on Flies?

Post by Windknot » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:18 pm

It sounds to me that you've pretty well got it covered. Good luck at Bemm River Bugalugs. Please let us know how you go.

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:46 am

Yes - I'll let you know how I go.
Although I will be with 2 guys in a 12ft tinny who prefer to bait fish so it could be a bit tricky in the boat.
Fingers crossed
Cheers
Neil

ratbag

Post by ratbag » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 am

Bugalugs wrote:Yes - I'll let you know how I go.
Although I will be with 2 guys in a 12ft tinny who prefer to bait fish so it could be a bit tricky in the boat.
Fingers crossed
Cheers
Neil
you should be able to out fish them Neil :thumbsup:

mate #1 - boat driver
mate #2 - spotter & guide
you = fishing
:rofl:
quid est quod eum

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:47 am

I reckon you will get a lot of skipjack bycatch. Not a bad thing, they would be fun as all hell on the fly.

Windknot

Post by Windknot » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:03 am

Maybe you could get the others to drop you off somewhere where you can wade and fly fish by yourself and they could pick you up later in the day. You will probably do better working the edges anyway. I'd say the bream are finished their spawning now and they will be actively looking to eat. It should be a good trip.

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:29 pm

Yeah I'd love to wade and fish the edges ... but the problem is we fish for an annual trophy where every fish is recorded in a book for length, type, caught on bait or lure, location and time ... and there's points for and against for certain things, so I'd be missing out in that area.
But Ratbag - I do like your idea .... lol

Bugalugs

Post by Bugalugs » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:33 pm

Well folks - hate to say it, but it was the WORST trip, fishing wise, that the 3 of us have ever had together - but strangely, still one of the most enjoyable for relaxing and having good times with your mates. We all certainly loved getting away from the many pressures we go through in our normal everyday lives. A couple of days some of us didn't catch a fish for the whole day (wasn't as if we weren't trying - we worked hard), but it didn't seem to matter too much.
We were there for 6 days and for the first 5 days the wind blew and blew from the east or north-east, and getting the fly gear out was nigh impossible in a 12 foot tinny when you're with 2 blokes who want to bait fish and we had to tie up to the bank just for some comfort.
No bream on fly. Damn it.
However I did manage to land a fish on a fly - a 50cm mullet on a black & red woolly bugger type wet fly. It went off like a steam train when I hooked it. It was in the river and up around The Farm if you know where that is. We saw all these fish jumping and splashing about in the middle of the day and thought they were tailor, but a guy in another boat said they were mullet. After trolling a few lures and only a few minor hits we parked against the bank and I threw out a bubble float with the wet fly behind it on about a metre leader. My 2 mates laughed at me when they saw what I was doing, but I said I'd have the last laugh. After working out the right retrieve, I was getting plenty of hits and often the fly came back with only a huge scale attached. The one I landed was a damn good fight on a 2000 reel with 6lb braid. And surprise, surprise, the other guys became more interested then. They both hooked into a few but didn't manage to land them. (as I gave them some of my flies to try out)
A day or 2 earlier we did get a few tailor up around the same spot - on lures - good fun until they moved on and we couldn't find them again. Some good size ones too - around the 45cm mark. All catch and release (including the mullet)
As far as the bream went - only about 3 above the 40cm mark - a few in the 30's and a couple in the 20's. All on bait. (Oh - and 1 on a metal blade) The bait of choice was frozen local prawns (Lakes Entrance) from Mark at the Bait N Tackle shop. Fresh live sandworms surprisingly weren't any good. He's the man to see for fishing info and accommodation in the town.
Anyway - that's about it for the report and I'm looking forward to going there for our next annual trip. Hopefully I can get the fly rod out, but as I say, it was just too difficult this time due to certain factors.
Catch ya's
Neil

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:24 am

google "bream fishing on fly" - some interesting info

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Post by russellh2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:26 am

also check out u tube, bream fishing on fly

Windknot

Post by Windknot » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:24 am

You were fighting an up hill battle, trying to fly fish in an anchored boat with your bait fishing mates. The two fishing styles just don't mix. To successfully catch fish on a fly you need to be mobile.

But still, you had a good trip and that's the main thing. Thanks for sharing the details of your trip.

Return to “Bream Fishing”