Eildon Stream Trout

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Eildon Stream Trout

Post by Truedogz » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:44 pm

I headed out yesterday arvo to fish one of the small creeks that runs in to Lake Eildon. The aim was to shake down my fishing tackle and camping gear in preparation for the many trips to come this season. Due to work and personal commitments I've been hardly able to wet a line since mid April. I also wanted to test out my new fly rod, the Classic Trout 4 wt.

I got out there about 3 pm and set up camp. I'm not going to name the stream due to potential fishing pressure from a post. In my experience all these really small streams feeding the lake hold trout. Here is a pic of the stream:
the stream.jpg
I found my new rod to be great save for the fact that it doesn't like a 9 ft leader for short casts. 6-7 ft it is brilliant, which is all you need for small streams. I was sadly out of practice - I had perhaps a dozen takes before landing this one:
first trout classic trout.jpg
Not a big fish by any means but great fun. I got another 2 then had a bigger fish drop the hook near the bank.

This morning I slept in, but then hit the creek with soft plastic landing several more small browns:
sp trout.jpg
Last evening the trout were rising pretty well. There were a few winged termites around and with potential storms around today and tomorrow I reckon conditions will be great on the Goulburn and other streams to fish on dusk.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Eildon Stream Trout

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:34 pm

Nice work Will!
Thanks for the report!
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Nice tackle shakedown Will, I too need practice with the wand.. I'll be heading to the Goulburn in the coming weeks to put in some work.

Cheers for the report.

Anth

Marlinman

Post by Marlinman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Great read as always!
Looking forward to your next adventure.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 pm

Just love chasing trout in skinny water, you're spot on there truedogz.. most waters that flow into lakes & large rivers hold trout and are always worth fishing. Yes, I'm like you too, keep the ones I fish to myself.. top report & pics too...

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:49 pm

Nice report and pics.
Cheers :thumbsup:

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:51 pm

Nicely done will, some of the streams that make their way into eildon are absolute gems.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Return to “Fly fishing in Victoria”