It's Time...To Make the Gippsland Lakes Great Again..Rally 4th NOV

News and Information from VRFish
ango

It's Time...To Make the Gippsland Lakes Great Again..Rally 4th NOV

Post by ango » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi,

Anyone going down to the Gippsland Lakes over the Melb Cup weekend, check the following link.

https://www.vrfish.com.au/event/communi ... eat-again/

Cheers
Ango.

ango

Re: It's Time...To Make the Gippsland Lakes Great Again..Rally 4th NOV

Post by ango » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:51 am

I will be there.
Cheers
Ango

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:03 am

If their only solution is to remove 10 commercials then it isn't going to be great. They have missed the boat anyway as they will be removed in the next few years one way or another. Perhaps they should prepose to open the flood gates on the Thompson dam and make Melbourne use desalinated water.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

ango

Post by ango » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:15 am

Getting rid of commercial netters is a start, but it's only the beginning, if you look at the link the campaign objectives are an end to commercial netting of fin fish in the Lakes, a fair compensation package for netters and their families, and a restocking program funded through RFL trust of iconic Gippsland Lakes species to resurrect fishing and tournament fishing while researching factors affecting natural recruitment and developing a holistic plan with measurable outcomes to return the Lakes to health. I guess we can do nothing or we can choose to give our support to people that are putting in their time and effort to improve our future fishing prospects.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:01 pm

I grew up fishing the gippsland lakes for bream and still love fishing there for bream today.

But why would I or anyone support a campaign based mostly on incorrect information targeting a small sustainable industry that will have the least effect bream populations.

I actually want the environment and bream fishing to improve.

I would support a campaign to improvement the environment/water quality ie increase fresh water flows, reduce pollution/sediment entering the system as it will have a significant positive impact.

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:36 pm

frozenpod wrote:I grew up fishing the gippsland lakes for bream and still love fishing there for bream today.

But why would I or anyone support a campaign based mostly on incorrect information targeting a small sustainable industry that will have the least effect bream populations.

I would support a campaign to improvement the environment/water quality ie increase fresh water flows, reduce pollution/sediment entering the system as it will have a significant positive impact.
Yes just the same as me. I grew up in the 60s boating the Lakes. I want the lakes to be improved. I feel this whole thing is a wasted effort. It is trying to blame 10 people for all the problems and when challenged simple say well at least we are doing something.
If you have a flat tyre on your car. Vacuuming the carpet is doing something that wont hurt for sure, but you are still going to have a flat tyre.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:25 pm

frozenpod wrote:I grew up fishing the gippsland lakes for bream and still love fishing there for bream today.

Don't let dumbo dans paid TV host minion hear such reasoning. Nor the many blind sheep

Return to “VRFish (Victorian Recreational Fishing Peak-Body)”