Hobsons Bay snapper comp kayak section

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Hobsons Bay snapper comp kayak section

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 am

I don't know how many kayakers there were in class but Leejo - Mal and myself fished together - first plan was to hit up Frankston friday evening wide of Davies point but the 23 knot westerly ( onshore ) made that idea go out the window - Sat morning didn't look any better along the east coast of the bay so for the Sat evening we gave Williamstown a try , non of us had fished there and a couple of clues from Eoin (Seasherpa) and we were set
the Sth/Westerly wind 10 - 15 knot was not to much of a problem although it was bumpy at times - I lost a couple of rigs to the Reef Gods just of the footy ground and also broke a rod trying to get loose - that was a bad joke so moving a little wider off the reef in 9 or so meters saved rerigging a lot

Mal was the stand out with 4 Snaps largest going 60 cm a bit over 3 kg - I picked up 1 @ 50 cm and as the sun was dropping the wind had swung more southerly and the bumps were bigger and steeper - by then it was a very wet ride with plenty of waves coming over the side so we gave it away and off and headed in

a quick trip around to Altona for a weigh in and it was off home to clean fish and get readdy for Sunday morning - back on the water a Rickets point around 5 am ( 2.5 - 3 hours sleep ) and plagued by pink piranha I made the move a bit wider to 16 meters the sun was up but apart from flatties I got a 14 cm pinky - top morning on the water just no fish

Mal picked up 3rd in the kayak class just pipped for second and the winner had a 5 + kg fish

like last year a great event shame about the wind but it was the same problem doing tea tree - weather is just not very stabile around cup W/E
roll on next year and we will try again
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Hobsons Bay snapper comp kayak section

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:07 am

Awesome work! :)
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Hobsons Bay snapper comp kayak section

Post by Lightningx » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:12 am

Nice work guys :thumbsup:

Return to “Kayak Fishing”