Native Fish Aus...Shepparton talk!

Murray Cod, Australian Bass, Golden Perch and more.
April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Native Fish Aus...Shepparton talk!

Post by April Fool » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi all
When fishing last week with Dave I received a phone call from my sister regarding a post on the local council's facebook page. She thought I may be interested in an upcoming talk about native fish. Interesting thing was, despite the fact she does not fish, she said to me that "I think they have a pic of a carp on the post"! I checked it out later...she was right! I emailed the council group involved regarding another related question and asked them why the carp pic! The reply came back that maybe they did the post a bit hastily! They have since corrected it and here are the details along with the original post.
NFA evening.PNG
By the way, the talk is indoors so you don't have to be sunsmart! I was sent the following by the organiser about what to expect on the night.
"By “interactive”, we mean that the presenter intends to bring a number of different native fish with him for participants to view close up to get a betterunderstanding of them, which is a great way to keep younger children engaged.

A little more information on our presenter Tim for you:

Tim Curmi is a freshwater ecologist and currently is president of Native Fish Australia (Vic). After completing an Aquatic Science degree at Deakin Universityin the early 1990s, he went on to complete an Honours degree studying native fish ecology through La Trobe University. Since then he had worked for various organisations including La Trobe University Wodonga and the Environment Protection Authority where hecarried out river health assessments across Victoria. He is particularly interested in the ecology of and restoration of endangered native fish populations to their former levels, and in engaging and empowering the community in ways to protect and promotenative fish and preserve & improve river health."

What can I say...Bender will be there!
cheers
Team Bender
Wondering what sort of crowd this will pull!
Last edited by April Fool on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Re: Native Fish Aus...Shepparton talk!

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:33 pm

Funny the topic was about native fish but the fish used in the advertisement was euro carp.

Oh i forgot, it was born here so it's true blue aussie.

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:36 pm

So...this is their updated, corrected post! Is this a native freshwater fish?
fish ID.PNG
cheers
Team Bender
Wondering if local council got it right this time!

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 am

It was a good night. Attendance was not that good but it didn't affect things. The focus was on maccas but other smaller, non-angling native species were discussed and some were present in tanks. This is valuable as far as I am concerned as when you see the little tackers, it is rather easy to choose lure imitations to 'match the hatch'!

The carp virus was briefly discussed. I mentioned on another thread a while ago that the push to release the carp virus had lost momentum. The same thing was said last night...with questions as to how effective the virus would be.

Native Fish Australia are also pushing for some areas to be opened up to fishing for 'protected' species such as Trout cod. It was only mentioned briefly but I think the general idea is to allow fishing for Trout cod in some areas where the fish are well established. I know they (NFA) will have a lot of resistance but at least they are trying.

Other things were mentioned on the night that I will not repeat here but I will say, the two NFA guys who attended know their stuff and know full well the resistance they face from some organisations as well as some other angler representative bodies who are useless! The NFA guys have convinced me to join without pushing for it on the night.
http://www.nativefish.asn.au/
cheers
Team Bender
Gotta love the natives!

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:08 am

April Fool wrote:So...this is their updated, corrected post! Is this a native freshwater fish?
fish ID.PNG
cheers
Team Bender
Wondering if local council got it right this time!

Did you find out about the fish in the picture though :cheers: I believe it is a Southern Pigmy Perch, yes native and possibly endangered.

April Fool

Post by April Fool » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:00 pm

Brett, I forgot to ask but they did have some pygmy perch there and I am certain you are correct. The ones I saw last night were colored differently, however, pics that were shown last night showed color variation within the species.

I forgot to mention, Will (Truedogz) got a mention a few times last night for his good work.
cheers
Team Bender
Not well known for anything!

Return to “Australian Natives”