Wet, calm conditions turn the trout on

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Wet, calm conditions turn the trout on

Post by meppstas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:24 am

Wet & calm conditions turns the trout on.

I was thinking about heading off for a spin session early this morning then thought twice about it with rain forecast as the day went on. Any way after lunch the weather at Sheffield wasn't all that bad so I decided to head off to the Dasher River and have a bit of a spin session. As I was heading to my destination I could see it was getting pretty dark, there were a lot of very dark clouds moving in, the rain wasn't all that far off. Just as I parked the car the sky opened up and it bucketed down for at least ten minutes before it stopped as quick as it came. I was quickly out of the car and on with the waders, boots etc. and on my way down a steep hill through some bush then across the paddocks to my entry point in the stream. I was about to fish an area I haven't fished for just on two trout seasons so I didn't know what to expect. I noticed a lot had changed since the clean up after the 2016 record floods with many alterations to the river banks along it.
Weather moving in..(Medium).JPG
Weather moving in..

As I approached my entry point I could see more rain clouds moving in and I knew I was in for a soaking sooner than later, plus I didn't think to bring my lightweight rain jacket with me either. As I hopped in the water I could see it was a little low in some areas & plenty of others that looked pretty good to flick a lure into. The lure used again was the Aglia Mouche Noire, it's actually an older well used one that I had on the trout rod I took from my rod rack that is fully set up with ten ultra light weight trout set ups. I had a few casts downstream and during those few casts I had a hit from trout on each occasion but missed hooking them. That was a good sign that there are a few trout in the area for starters. There's only one problem when fishing these skinny little streams and creeks, I can't use the cast and drift method in them. Being so narrow and shallow there's no allowance to use that method of fishing and that's why I lose a lot of trout from time to time.
IMG_7278 (Medium).JPG
The first area where I had a few hits & misses..
IMG_7272 (Medium).JPG
Some nice light tannin water yet to fish
One has to cast directly upstream and retrieve the lure straight down the stream. I still can cast to either river bank and retrieve the spinner, but the trout are still having to take the lure from directly behind it. If you watch a trout taking a lure, ninety percent of the time they grab at it as they turn, that's why they're often lipped and toss the lure so easily. That's just a part of trout fishing these narrow little streams, I still catch my fair share of trout in them any way. One thing that works very well when fishing these little waters is when you see a bow wave or a trout appear behind the spinner give the rod a light twitch, by doing that it makes the spinner blade flutter, nine times out of ten it results in a strike. So back to how the trout fishing went, it started reasonably well as I fished my way upstream picking up several little wild brown trout in quick time. Those dark clouds I saw earlier moved in & decided to pour a few liters of water down on me. I sheltered under some heavy foliage against the river bank which kept me reasonably dry until it eased off to a light drizzle before it finally stopped. The sun even shone on and off briefly too.
First of the day,,(Medium).JPG
First little brown of the session..
Another trout bites the dust.. (Medium).JPG
And another one falls to the Aglia Mouche Noire.
IMG_7302 (Medium).JPG
Trout taken here..

I was soon back in he water flicking the little Mouche Noire upstream and continued catching a trout here and there as well as losing the odd fish from time to time. The rain came and went several more times and I was drenched in one heavy downpour before the clouds parted and the sun broke through again. The trout were really aggressive in attacking the little Aglia spinner, I was having a lot of fun with these little battlers on the light tackle. It was near on 3.30 pm when I called it a day as more rain clouds started moving in. I still had at least a twenty minute walk back to the car so I wanted to reach it before the rain set in again. On the way back I came across a Tiger snake curled up in the grass which took me by surprise especially when I was only four feet from it. At the end of the day I had caught & released 16 small to medium size browns from twenty six hook ups. The little lure was much worse for wear and it did finish up looking like a normal Aglia spinner at the end of the session. That little lure had caught more than forty trout since it was new so it had done it's job well...
IMG_7323 (Medium).JPG
A couple of brown caught here..
One of many browns caught ..(Medium).JPG
Nice wild brown trout..
All that's left of the Aglia Mouche Noire.  (Medium).JPG
The little Aglia Mouche Noire is worn out..
Seeing these is getting to be a habit.. (Medium).JPG
Came across the fella on the walk back to the car, it's getting to be a habit lately..
*** Here's the YouTube video clip of the spin session.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFdLaPTXKlk&t=58s

cheers
Adrian
Last edited by meppstas on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Re: Wet, calm conditions turn the trout on

Post by wem21 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:53 pm

Nice work! Brilliant catch and pictures

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:59 pm

What kind of snake is that? looks like a death adder but I'm almost certain they are only found in the warmer climates of Australia?

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Kimtown wrote:What kind of snake is that? looks like a death adder but I'm almost certain they are only found in the warmer climates of Australia?
It's a Tiger snake.. they're a lot darker colour down here, may have to do with the heating of their body being in a cooler climate....
There's only three varieties of snakes here, the Tiger, Lowland copperhead & the white lipped whip snake..
Tasmanian tiger snake.jpeg
Tasmanian Tiger snake..
cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:38 pm

meppstas wrote:
Kimtown wrote:What kind of snake is that? looks like a death adder but I'm almost certain they are only found in the warmer climates of Australia?
It's a Tiger snake.. they're a lot darker colour down here, may have to do with the heating of their body being in a cooler climate....
There's only three varieties of snakes here, the Tiger, Lowland copperhead & the white lipped whip snake..
Tasmanian tiger snake.jpeg
cheers
Adrian
Oh yep! Very different to the tigers here
Nasty bastards

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:42 pm

16, now that's more like it Adrian
Love reading your reports & of course the photos are great
Cheers Gra

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Texas wrote:16, now that's more like it Adrian
Love reading your reports & of course the photos are great
Cheers Gra
Yes, they've even got a gripping storyline and finish!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:34 am

Top report and pics as always mate.
Enjoyed the vid as well.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:04 am

Lightningx wrote:Top report and pics as always mate.
Enjoyed the vid as well.
Cheers :thumbsup:
Thanks lightning, I missed the video
Your Bestest video so far, Adrian
Cheers Gra

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed both.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian

Return to “Tasmania”