Boof Diary 2019

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Boof Diary 2019

Post by Boonanza » Tue May 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Cracking fish will good to see you back here mate :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue May 07, 2019 8:32 pm

Another really nice report and pics mate.
That fish is a beauty!
Cheers :thumbsup:

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue May 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Nice weekend away Will!

What are your thoughts/experiences on having a headtorch on while throwing lures at night? Of course its preferable not to interfere with the natural darkness - but sometimes its unavoidable to be putting casts into the right spot.

Have you noticed any possible impacts to boof rates regarding standing bankside with a headlight and/or putting it on the water when casting?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 07, 2019 11:19 pm

An awesome report Will, with some great info , , , , well done.

If you keep posting great informative reports like that , , , , I might feel encouraged to start thinking about contemplating the possibility that I may harbour the notion of some day it may be feasible that I may even start and go Freshwater Fishing AND actually use Lures :-D

Cheers, Bugatti

Paulanderson
Has liked: 50 times

Post by Paulanderson » Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 pm

Hi Will let me also add my pleasure that you are back with us and congratulations on the great fish. When I lived in Bunyip in my teens areas of the Bunyip River (even around the Highway Bridge) like in your pic had plenty of good sized Blackfish - hopefully they will re-populate quickly. Am still slaying the Tilapia here in Zambia but when I get back to Tanzania soon have a trip organized to a small river where the Tigerfish get to 8 - 10 kg or so - cannot wait. Pics to come in due course! Regards from Paul

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 pm

May 14 Goulburn River

one small boof

May 16 Goulburn River

Small troutie boofed the lure 3 times
74 cm Murray Cod, just after dark:
74 cm.jpg
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:05 pm
What are your thoughts/experiences on having a headtorch on while throwing lures at night? Of course its preferable not to interfere with the natural darkness - but sometimes its unavoidable to be putting casts into the right spot.

Have you noticed any possible impacts to boof rates regarding standing bankside with a headlight and/or putting it on the water when casting?
HFC when I arrive at a spot I turn the headlamp on for a few seconds and do a quick scan looking for snags that could eat the lure. Night fishing doesn't require pinpoint casting. I avoid having the light on the water unless I am landing a fish. Leaving the light off improves one's night vision and you can see pretty well. Even when I am walking along the bank I tilt the lamp so it is away from the water. I've seen fish spooked by direct torch light on them, including cod, so the name of the game is minimal use. When there is a bit of moon around, like tonight, I use white surface lures.

On Monday night (May 14) while I was fishing a boat slowly made its way up the river and it seems they were throwing surface lures. They made a lot of noise and were using a spotlight to navigate their way upstream. When I saw them I gave it away for the night, they would have spooked the fish with the light and noise. A number of people have suggested one reason I have done well on the big cod this season is because I am not in a boat. The big cod have come to know that propeller sounds are, probably even the electrics, and might pick up sounders too. Quietly walking the banks might be an advantage in areas that see a lot of anglers in boats.

The fishing will be hard work from now on with the cod slowing right down. Its still worth the effort just getting some exercise and enjoy a beautiful evening like tonight. Any fish are a bonus.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu May 16, 2019 9:27 pm

rb85 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:30 am

As far as longer handled rods go considering the results you got and the fact it’s been demonstrated that the cod will take a lure close to your feet how necessary is the extra casting length?
RB I bought the swimbait rod to ultimately target cod off the top in lakes like Eildon. The Veritas I use can flick heavy lures over half way across the Goulburn and a quarter to perhaps a third of the way across the Murray in the areas I fish. It is more than adequate for rivers. I suppose greater distance is needed on lakes as it has been suggested the strike zone is further out. I hope to focus on targetting cod off the top in Eildon next season, so time will tell!

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 17, 2019 1:55 am

Truedogz wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 pm
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:05 pm

I avoid having the light on the water unless I am landing a fish.

Leaving the light off improves one's night vision and you can see pretty well.

I've seen fish spooked by direct torch light on them, including cod, so the name of the game is minimal use.

A boat slowly made its way up the river and , , , , made a lot of noise and were using a spotlight to navigate their way upstream.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

G'day Will & HFC.

I'm not a Cod Fisho BUT I do chase (when I can get out) shallow water Snapper from about now till October here in South Australia. There is a Metro area here in SA, a 5 km stretch between Glenelg and Brighton, where the Snapper (3-8 kgs if not bigger) are only about 200m from shore and in 10 - 15 feet of water, in a reefy structure that runs through the whole area.

Broadway Sommerton.PNG

It is mainly sunset onward. I stay away from the two main known grounds (as marked) as it can get like a circus with noise, moving boats and lights pointed everywhere. When this happens, you are lucky to catch one, it spooks the Snapper.

Mate and I find our quiet away from the crowd spots by sounding. And the hit rate is amazingly high when minimal light (if any) is used.

Cheers, Bugatti

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Fri May 17, 2019 5:40 am

Sounds perfect for kayaking
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Fri May 17, 2019 12:16 pm

Another productive night out Will, cheers davo :cheers:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”