Venus Bay Trip

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Venus Bay Trip

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 23, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi Guys, this trip was from last weekend but I didn't have time to write up the full report so here it goes.

Well this trip was a very last minute decision. It was on Friday night after date night with the missus we decided to go for a surf spin session down to 13th beach which quickly changed to a trip down to Venus Bay.

So my missus went online to see if she could book us a place last minute through Air Bnb.
While she was having a look around, I made a call to a friend of mine to see if he was interested in coming along with us(he had been bugging me to organize a surf trip for awhile).
Anyway after looking around the missus finds a couple of places. 1 was a stay in Wonthaggi, which was the cheaper option but about a 35 minute drive to Venus Bay. Option 2 was a place right in the heart of Venus bay but a bit pricier.

My mate wasn't too keen to stay at Wonthaggi so we all agreed to book the place in Venus bay!
So my missus sends through the request and a confirmation was received quite quickly after payment had gone through! Wooohooo we were off!!!

The next day after voting, the missus and I went and picked up my mate and after putting all his things in the car we headed towards Compleat Angler in Dandenong to pick up a few supplies including 2x packets of bluebait, a packet of large squid, a packet of 4 oz sinkers and some surf poppers!
We got the squid in case we didn't get any fresh salmons for bait for the night session.
Next stop was the servo and after filling up we hit the road and arrived at Venus Bay at around 4.

We all quickly checked in and decided to go for a short session before dark and dinner.

We got down to the carpark and the missus and I used our spin outfits, while my friend fished using bait.
I caught a couple of salmons perfect size for bait. As it started getting dark we packed up and went to get dinner sorted.

After a nice meal we headed back for the night session in the hopes of hooking up to a nice gummy.
At the carpark there were a few others setting up for a gummy or 2 with the full moon.
We ended up with a couple more salmons and a big tailor. Back at the carpark we had a quick chat with the other guys who had also come back and they got a few salmons as well but no gummies.

The next morning we thought about getting up nice and early and fishing the sunrise but didn't want to fish the low tide so we had a slight sleep in and headed down.

We got the burley ready by stuffing an onion bag with pellets, pillies and a bit of tuna oil and we tied that to one of the rod holders so that it could just roll around in the surf.

We fished the high tide and ended up with a few more salmons and some mullets.

The missus and I saw a guy looking for pippies and that's when we realized we had forgotten about the pippies! The pippies!!!

Between the 2 of us we just got around a litre of pippies. Had to work hard for them though. Not many around like the old days!

All in all, it was a great trip! Hopefully the next one isn't too far away!

Venus Bay1.jpg

Venus bay2.jpg

Venus Bay3.jpg

Venus Bay4.jpg

Venus Bay5.jpg

Venus Bay 6.png

Cheers,
LX.

Bugatti

Re: Venus Bay Trip

Post by Bugatti » Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pm

Wow, what a nice quick trip. Those spur of the moment trips are the best. No Built up pre-thought expectations, just enjoy as it unfolds :a_goodjob:

You are a very lucky bloke, having a Mrs that enjoys going fishing , , , , and doing the bookings :thumbsup:

One of the things I like about fishing trips and fishing in general is meeting and chatting with like minded fishos.

And the Sambo haul is very good too, well done on all accounts

Cheers, Bugatti

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Good job guys, awesome report..

ben475
Has liked: 161 times

Post by ben475 » Thu May 23, 2019 5:26 pm

good stuff

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Thu May 23, 2019 6:32 pm

good job thats a big salmon on the end

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 pm
Wow, what a nice quick trip. Those spur of the moment trips are the best. No Built up pre-thought expectations, just enjoy as it unfolds :a_goodjob:

You are a very lucky bloke, having a Mrs that enjoys going fishing , , , , and doing the bookings :thumbsup:

One of the things I like about fishing trips and fishing in general is meeting and chatting with like minded fishos.

And the Sambo haul is very good too, well done on all accounts

Cheers, Bugatti
Thanks mate.
That’s exactly what it was all about this time. Just wing it and see what happens.
We all had a ball and that’s what matters.
Yes I’m definitely a lucky man in that she loves fishing as much as I do!
I remember a few years ago when we did a trip up to Merimbula, we fished so much but she just couldn’t get enough of it. We fished like 12-14 hours everyday for like 3-4 days straight :rofl: talk about being sore haha was worth it though :thumbsup:

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Fri May 24, 2019 1:45 am

That's a ripper tailor, mate...

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Fri May 24, 2019 9:49 am

Nice catch mate, that is a good little spot when it is going off. Can be hit and miss with the pippies too, but they are a good feed when you get some

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:54 am

Great report lightning makes me want to rig up the surf rod and cast lures into the gutters.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri May 24, 2019 10:32 am

Great catches, keepers. Both missus and those fish :-D
I'm planning to go there in couple weeks, which beach did you fish?
Or possibly I fish Gunnamatta beach.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Gippsland Fishing Reports”