What's your lifejacket of choice?

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: What's your lifejacket of choice?

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm

I lost the sign sheet for my inflatable off.

Do I need a specific one or just buy one from any where

Kestrel
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Kestrel » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:58 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm
I lost the sign sheet for my inflatable off.

Do I need a specific one or just buy one from any where
Um... not quite sure what you mean man...

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Bring up PFD on internet and find checksheet, print,do the check, sign off and keep for examination as required.
Assuming this is what you mean for “signoff” sheet.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Yep that's it. Thanks

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 pm

I'm going to buck the trend, only to give options to some members. And this is not to derogate inflatable life jackets which are equally good, this is just my personal preference.

Here in South Australia, Life Jackets have always been part of Safety Equipment but only stored on the Boat and not required to be worn at all times. It has only been the last few years were we have had to wear them. (Mind you the configuration of size boat, how far out, where on the boat depends on if/when you need to wear one , , , , it overly complicates things , , , , my opinion is, the law should be , , , , ALWAYS should wear one, as we ALL do on my Boat)

We have been putting on these Life Jackets on our kids for years , , , , no Jacket , , , , no Boat.

The Raider Ultra , , , , they are not inflatable, they are the solid state type. They are the most comfortable ones that we have tried.

raider ultra.jpg
raider ultra.jpg (22.01 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

f1.JPG

Some years back (when it wasn't law that you had to wear a PFD, as in the below photo) the little guy said to me one time , , , , "why do they have to wear one, and us adults don't" (we made the kids wear one, so they were safe), , , , well us adults started wearing them soon after that, well, on my boat I made sure.

f6.JPG

Brother in-law is the same on his boat.

8.PNG

This is on a mate's boat. This young man and I are wearing a life jacket (although, you can't see me fully, I am wearing one). Even though the mate's boat is a foot longer than the legal requirement to wear a life jacket, in the waters that we were in , , , , we still wore one.

mate's boat 1.PNG

My mate didn't and doesn't

mate's boat.PNG

An extra foot for legal requirement not to wear one , , , , doesn't save your life when you are overboard being washed out to kingdom come. And it doesn't bother me wearing a life jacket if others aren't , , , , and I am happy to say so at any coroner's inquest that I am alive to attend to give evidence on.

I'm not sold on inflatable life jackets being infallible.

The Raider Ultras aren't as comfortable as the inflatables , , , , but they give a different type of comfort , , , , comfort of feeling safe, if anything happens

Cheers, Bugatti

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:48 pm

I wear a non-inflatable pfd1 if out solo at night, a Marlin jacket same as Denis for the cold weather and a yoke if it's warm.

Return to “Boating”