Reel recommendations please

Knotsure
Has liked: 2 times

Reel recommendations please

Post by Knotsure » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:29 pm

Good evening friends , sorry if this is has been done to death I'm new here so go easy .
I recently bought myself a samurai osprey 15-25 over head and of course have aboslutly no clue about overhead reels .
It's probraly a bit of over kill but will mainly be used in both bays ,primarily bouncing baits off the bottom for snapper and gummies and jigging now and then . I've been looking at torium and the talicas but unsure what sizes would suit the rod ratings any advice appreciated :cheers: thanks

Sinsemilla

Re: Reel recommendations please

Post by Sinsemilla » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:38 am

Nice choice mate. I have a Talica 8 single speed on a Nitro Gulf Stream. I use it for the kind of stuff you've mentioned, live baiting for kings and trolling skirts for school tuna. I have it loaded with 45lb braid.

It's a beautiful reel to use all day. Fits nice in the hand and is really light. I don't think you'd go wrong with either a Talica or Torium, the only thing to think about would be if you like using a lever drag or a star drag reel and if you want to spend $300 odd or $600 odd..

With sizing, the 8 is small enough to thumb the spool and hold it all day. It holds around 300m of 45lb braid, plenty of line for pretty much anything that swims in our waters.

Cheers, Anth

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:33 am

What about TranX ? I heard it's good. But it's a star drag.
Personally I like lever drag more, easier to turn/set the drag from zero to whatever is needed.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:34 am

And on the other end from Anth I've got an older Torium 16 on an almost identically rated 8-12kg KingMack with a touch over 400m of 55lb braid with some mono backing. It handles kings and small tuna perfectly fine so it'll easily account for Snapper and Gummies

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Tld 30
Tiagra 16

Knotsure
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Knotsure » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:33 am
What about TranX ? I heard it's good. But it's a star drag.
Personally I like lever drag more, easier to turn/set the drag from zero to whatever is needed.
I'm not sure about baitcasters.I've heard awsome things thoe so I might have to convert .
Thanks smile078 I'll look into those

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”