Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

Post by Lightningx » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:52 pm

dmck wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 pm
DougieK wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:59 pm
John Dory wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:17 pm
I could of bagged out on Salmon on the weekend but thought i had enough and went home. Some limits seem over the top to me.
The Aus salmon limit baffles me. WTF you gonna do with 20 sambos?
Bleed them immediately they are landed, fillet and skin, coat with Tandaco fish seasoning, cook on a wire grill over coals. THey are superb eating.
Yea definitely not too bad on the table if prepared properly and cooked nicely :thumbsup:

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:55 pm

dmck wrote:
DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
I could of bagged out on Salmon on the weekend but thought i had enough and went home. Some limits seem over the top to me.
Bleed them immediately they are landed, fillet and skin, coat with Tandaco fish seasoning, cook on a wire grill over coals. THey are superb eating.
or pickle them viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5383
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:11 pm

DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
Bait.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:14 pm

John Dory wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:32 pm
dmck wrote:
DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
Gotta try that. I never eat them
Some people love to eat them others don't.

They make great bait but they don't go far as they have to be changed over very frequently.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:39 pm

Firstly

What a joke to have Government funded Commercial License buy backs in SA , , , , that liability and the millions it would cost is what is killing our Fishery here in SA.

The Commercials have mostly been greedy (with the Government taking their pieces of silver too) and killed their own industry. So no to buy-backs, you killed it, you pay the penalty

Which other Industry gets buy-backs , , , , you buy a Pub and kill it , , , , you wear it.

The Victorian Model wasn't a buy-back of a failing industry so much , , , , but a "re-allocation" of resource to the Recreational sector.
dmck wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:11 am

rec fishing is a huge business to regional economies.
Don is Good , , , , and Don is Correct.

The Vic Government realises this but also for Rec Fishing in general , , , , hence the "million" push.

You get ten fold more bang for the Fishery Resource when it is allocated to the Recreational Sector , , , , which has far reaching financial benefits for everyone , , , , not just a few in the Commercial Sector

Regards, Bug

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:46 pm

Snapper to Salmon , two totally different species. Ban all fishing competitions i am sick of seeing the waste. Go to Port Melbourne beach a few days after Tea Tree Snapper competitions and you will see why i hate fishing competitions. Catch 3 snapper 60cm,and then you catch 2 more 80cm and then 90cm the two 60cm one would end up in the drink dead.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:01 am

NEWS FLASH GENTLEMEN:

The three year ban is going to do squat , , , , nil , , , , zero , , , , niente , , , , zotties , , , , nothing , , , , except inconvenience many for only minimal gain , , , , and ALL TO BE UNDONE when the ban is lifted , , , , because the problems are still going to be there.

dmck wrote:

"It is very clear there is massive issues in SA.

So much for the self pro claimed best managed fishery in Australia."

Fisher-folk have known and voiced the truth for a number of years.
Don is echoing the same sentiment as all of us Rec Fishos here in SA for the last ten years. Only little tokens of placebo fixes to appease have been implemented , , , , with the Fishery (most Fisheries) still worse off.

frozenpod wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 pm

The key to the success of snapper numbers is successful recruitment ie good spawning.
frozenpod wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 am

There are big issues with SA that need to be delt with. IE prawn trawling on the spawning grounds.
cobby wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:15 pm

You ban a stupidly destructive practice.

Allowing what little biomass remaining to spawn successfully and let the larvae settle almost undisturbed with some protection as they grow rinse and repeat for a few more years as more and more numbers spawn increasing the recruitment three fold and bam! Victoria's Snapper fishery hasn't really looked back give or take for recruitment variances.

Which is why the shellfish bed restoration projects along with other habitat rebuilding and creation projects will do a hell of a lot more for Snapper fishing in this state than just about every single thing ever mentioned or done in the past 20 years

There are so many factors that get mentioned as to the cause to the decline , , , , all valid but realistically have minimal impact on stocks except for two factors. Any mention of any of these other factors is only distorting the real facts

The two factors that are really at play.
1. The destruction of spawning grounds due to Prawn Trawling
2. Over fishing. Which includes pummelling and dispersing of Snapper aggregations during migrations and also just prior to spawning.

Ban Prawn Trawling for ever.
They are killing most of our Fisheries , , , , not only with the destruction of spawning grounds but also the high volume and mortality rate of discarded by-catch

Three year ban is only going to set the clock back a few years , , , , only to be back where we started with the same problems & issues.

Regards, Bugz

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 am

I tried Salmon sashimi with a couple i caught not long ago.. It changed my mind about eating salmon. It's the only way I'll eat it now.
Bugatti wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:01 am
NEWS FLASH GENTLEMEN:

The three year ban is going to do squat , , , , nil , , , , zero , , , , niente , , , , zotties , , , , nothing , , , , except inconvenience many for only minimal gain , , , , and ALL TO BE UNDONE when the ban is lifted , , , , because the problems are still going to be there.

dmck wrote:

Don is echoing the same sentiment as all of us Rec Fishos here in SA for the last ten years. Only little tokens of placebo fixes to appease have been implemented , , , , with the Fishery (most Fisheries) still worse off.

frozenpod wrote:

The key to the success of snapper numbers is successful recruitment ie good spawning.
frozenpod wrote:

There are big issues with SA that need to be delt with. IE prawn trawling on the spawning grounds.
cobby wrote:

Allowing what little biomass remaining to spawn successfully and let the larvae settle almost undisturbed with some protection as they grow rinse and repeat for a few more years as more and more numbers spawn increasing the recruitment three fold and bam! Victoria's Snapper fishery hasn't really looked back give or take for recruitment variances.

Which is why the shellfish bed restoration projects along with other habitat rebuilding and creation projects will do a hell of a lot more for Snapper fishing in this state than just about every single thing ever mentioned or done in the past 20 years

There are so many factors that get mentioned as to the cause to the decline , , , , all valid but realistically have minimal impact on stocks except for two factors. Any mention of any of these other factors is only distorting the real facts

2. Over fishing. Which includes pummelling and dispersing of Snapper aggregations during migrations and also just prior to spawning.

They are killing most of our Fisheries , , , , not only with the destruction of spawning grounds but also the high volume and mortality rate of discarded by-catch

Three year ban is only going to set the clock back a few years , , , , only to be back where we started with the same problems & issues.

Regards, Bugz
So ban Prawn trawling and smaller bags for snapper with a closed period while spawning? Sounds very reasonable to me. (No sarcasm)

I think we should do a closed season for a part of their spawning period here in Vic as well.

Cheers, Anth

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:06 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 am
I tried Salmon sashimi with a couple i caught not long ago.. It changed my mind about eating salmon. It's the only way I'll eat it now.
Bugatti wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:01 am
NEWS FLASH GENTLEMEN:

dmck wrote:

frozenpod wrote:

frozenpod wrote:

cobby wrote:

Regards, Bugz
So ban Prawn trawling and smaller bags for snapper with a closed period while spawning? Sounds very reasonable to me. (No sarcasm)

I think we should do a closed season for a part of their spawning period here in Vic as well.

Cheers, Anth

Anth, with me not knowing Victoria intimately (well not Victoria the state) I would say that you guys in a few years are going to have an over fishing effort issue from the other end of the fishing spectrum , , , , from the recreational fishos. And probably may need to modify fishing regulations. A closed spawning season works , , , , as long as it is long enough, which should include the lead up to the spawning season as well. One aspect as to why it didn't work too well here in SA was it wasn't early enough and the aggregations of snapper were dispersed by being pummelled by the pros who followed the schools up the gulf. Spawning is more effective with big aggregations spawning and not pockets of schools here and there , , , , there is even a PIRSA (our governing body) paper on this , , , , but never acted on.

Here in SA the 5 fish allowed between 38cm-60cm in St Vincents Gulf or 10 fish in our other waters , , , , AND 2 fish over 60cm has always in my opinion has been way too much. that's a hideous amount of fish for a recreational to keep.

The over 60cm fish should all be put back as they are the big breeders.

When you think about it, 3 fish under 60cm is enough.

Cheers, Bugz

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 am

Bugatti wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:06 am
Anth, with me not knowing Victoria intimately (well not Victoria the state) I would say that you guys in a few years are going to have an over fishing effort issue from the other end of the fishing spectrum , , , , from the recreational fishos. And probably may need to modify fishing regulations. A closed spawning season works , , , , as long as it is long enough, which should include the lead up to the spawning season as well. One aspect as to why it didn't work too well here in SA was it wasn't early enough and the aggregations of snapper were dispersed by being pummelled by the pros who followed the schools up the gulf. Spawning is more effective with big aggregations spawning and not pockets of schools here and there , , , , there is even a PIRSA (our governing body) paper on this , , , , but never acted on.

Here in SA the 5 fish allowed between 38cm-60cm in St Vincents Gulf or 10 fish in our other waters , , , , AND 2 fish over 60cm has always in my opinion has been way too much. that's a hideous amount of fish for a recreational to keep.

The over 60cm fish should all be put back as they are the big breeders.

When you think about it, 3 fish under 60cm is enough.

Cheers, Bugz
I'm with you on the 3 fish under 60cm P/P is enough and a closed period during spawning which is long enough to let them do their thing.

I think this will also deter those snapper only fisherman that don't fish at all until "snapper season" and then go out killing fish 3-4 times a week, sometimes bagging out on each outing with multiple people on their boats.. What the hell can you do with that much snapper meat?

I've had sessions on the snapper getting just under 20 fish in just over an hour.. Kept 2 of them between me and my brother.. Had kingy sessions where I've caught 30 plus kings to 18kgs in 3 days and kept 3 of them between me, my brother and my cousin..

If fishing was about always keeping my bag or for a feed I'd sell my boats, all my gear and be able to buy fish for me and my family for the rest of our lives.. The people that fish that way have got it wrong in my opinion. We need to look after our beautiful environment and our natural resources.

Cheers, Anth

Return to “General”