Kayak.....really

Portarlington, St Leonards, Queenscliff
Bugatti

Re: Kayak.....really

Post by Bugatti » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:23 pm

cobby wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:09 pm
They're the kind of people natural selection would've taken care of 40 years ago
They were probably trying to find their Village , , , , and as Village idiots go , , , , failed miserably

Cheers, Bug , , , , happy in my Village :)

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:34 pm

I will be the devils advocate here, going by the look of the "kayaks" they are actually ocean racing surf ski's. That is they would have been very experienced to even paddle them, and they are designed for these conditions. Not saying they didn't bite off more than they could handle....but they would have attempted these conditions deliberately

Sebb
Has liked: 3008 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Oh geez, hope they're okay.
I won't even go out on 25kmh wind and it was like 55kmh wind.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:59 pm

laneends wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:34 pm
I will be the devils advocate here, going by the look of the "kayaks" they are actually ocean racing surf ski's. That is they would have been very experienced to even paddle them, and they are designed for these conditions. Not saying they didn't bite off more than they could handle....but they would have attempted these conditions deliberately
Somewhat agree...fair point.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:59 pm

laneends wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:34 pm

I like it , , , , a discussion, you devil you :thumbsup:

That is a good point laneends, notwithstanding that, also, they could have had a kayak malfunction and not "lack of ability" with the kayaks, even if they were designed for those conditions.

But on the point of testing those waters. Not knowing much about ocean racing surf skis and the racing/usage of them, wouldn't there be support staff in appropriate vessels for helping out if there is any problem.

Now they may have been rescued by their own arranged support staff, I can't tell. But, if they were out without support staff (if it was prudent to have) and relied on "outside" Rescue Personnel, then that could be irresponsible.

Also, Rescue Services may have put their personnel in danger too, to rescue them , , , , and although, it does hone their skills in real life situations , , , , then we enter the realm of miss-using or relying on Rescue Services for your own short-comings, logistical advantage and cost saving ????

Daredevils (obviously no relation to any devils that are devil's advocates) do what they do sometimes because we as a society will pick up the pieces and the bill, when the statistical eventuality occurs.

Very interesting

Cheers Bug , , , , who shall never tie a bed-sheet (commonly called a parachute) to my back and jump out of a plane , , , , on purpose

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:08 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Oh geez, hope they're okay.
Oh, look at you , , , , nice and caring again, Seb being , , , , Seb

I've called them Village Idiots and now I feel bad too , , , , I never knew I had a conscious until I met you

Ok, I shall bake them a cake and bring it round to them with some Hot Chocolate , , , , yes, ok and some warm socks too

Cheers, Bug , , , , who shall always use Seb as my Moral Compass North Bearing

(I might spit on the cake, though :-D )

laneends

Post by laneends » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 pm

support craft would only be for organised races. Experienced elite paddlers would think nothing of going out in 2m waves and 40+knot sustained conditions. Much the same as surfers deliberately go out in big waves. As you say could be a craft malfunction as one of them looks snapped in half.

Bottom line is they would not have been ignorant of predicted conditions, and would have had reasonable safety precautions in place. One of those things that despite all precautions, **** happens, its a dangerous sport

Total newbies wouldn't be able to stay upright on one of these in their own back yard pool.

laneends

Post by laneends » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:13 pm

capsizing as such is not really an issue in these, its akin to falling off a surf board, they expect to and they just climb back on again

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 pm

There are plenty of blokes around the world who kayak in these conditions. They do comps aand catch rolling waves travelling around 30-40kmh.
Not sure about these 2 blokes but as was stated staying upright in the first place is a challenge for most bloke.
Being rolled isn't such a big deal if you have the skills and stamina.
Not sure what yaks they were, but if Sit ins then doing an eskimo roll would be something one must know how to do especially in those conditions.
I wasn't there so I don't know and thankfully nobody was killed.
Let's be careful about trashing people and situations when we have no idea what really happened.
How would you feel if things went pear shaped for you and others trashed talked about you?
It's easy to tear down but more difficult to build up.
Good to see Coastguard out there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

laneends

Post by laneends » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:34 pm

FishnMiss wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Not sure what yaks they were, but if Sit ins then doing an eskimo roll would be something one must know how to do especially in those conditions.
Ocean Racing skis, busted one looks similar to an epic. So sit on tops.

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”