Re: Kayak.....really

Post by Sebb » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:37 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:08 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Oh geez, hope they're okay.
Oh, look at you , , , , nice and caring again, Seb being , , , , Seb

I've called them Village Idiots and now I feel bad too , , , , I never knew I had a conscious until I met you

Ok, I shall bake them a cake and bring it round to them with some Hot Chocolate , , , , yes, ok and some warm socks too

Cheers, Bug , , , , who shall always use Seb as my Moral Compass North Bearing

(I might spit on the cake, though :-D )
Awww Mr Bug, I'm blushing, red like a ripe tomato :oops:
I guess I'm gonna make myself a hot choco too, perfect for this kinda weather.

That 'idiot' is someone's family or friend. As long as he/she doesn't hurt others, no one deserves to be 'punished'. Unfortunately this is mother nature. Should be more careful dealing with mother. Mother knows best.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:39 pm

laneends wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:34 pm
FishnMiss wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 pm
Ocean Racing skis, busted one looks similar to an epic. So sit on tops.
Cheater ?? :)
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:30 pm

FishnMiss wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:39 pm
laneends wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:34 pm
FishnMiss wrote:
Ocean Racing skis, busted one looks similar to an epic. So sit on tops.
Cheater ?? :)
He doesn't have one of those. I'll ask around at the canoe club, someone there probably knows them.

Chances are they deliberately picked those conditions to go out in, probably got dumped by a big wave which snapped the ski.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:38 pm

laneends wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 pm
support craft would only be for organised races. Experienced elite paddlers would think nothing of going out in 2m waves and 40+knot sustained conditions. Much the same as surfers deliberately go out in big waves. As you say could be a craft malfunction as one of them looks snapped in half.

Bottom line is they would not have been ignorant of predicted conditions, and would have had reasonable safety precautions in place. One of those things that despite all precautions, **** happens, its a dangerous sport

Total newbies wouldn't be able to stay upright on one of these in their own back yard pool.
You know laneends, you won me over with "sport" and that it may not be just thrill seekers.

I did mention not knowing much about the sport, and you have explained it well (in conjunction with FishnMiss). The "elite" and the "dangerous" does highlight that it is on the edge and yes, stuff can happen , , , , and even with, despite all efforts.

Lov'n discussions :)

Cheers, Bugz

FishnMiss

Post by FishnMiss » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:47 pm

[/quote]
Yeah Cheater has a Stealth and his handmade special.
How'd you go at Lariston today or did you hit Wendouree instead?
[/quote]

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Slept in and did neither. Probably didn't miss much.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:56 am

FishnMiss wrote:
There are plenty of blokes around the world who kayak in these conditions. They do comps aand catch rolling waves travelling around 30-40kmh.
Not sure about these 2 blokes but as was stated staying upright in the first place is a challenge for most bloke.
Being rolled isn't such a big deal if you have the skills and stamina.
Not sure what yaks they were, but if Sit ins then doing an eskimo roll would be something one must know how to do especially in those conditions.
I wasn't there so I don't know and thankfully nobody was killed.
Let's be careful about trashing people and situations when we have no idea what really happened.
How would you feel if things went pear shaped for you and others trashed talked about you?
It's easy to tear down but more difficult to build up.
Good to see Coastguard out there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Like I said, I'm lov'n this discussion.

So let's crank it up from "Devil's advocate" to "Thought provoking".

See if we can follow the bouncing Buggaboo. Now, I'm sure you, FishnMiss and laneends would be able to follow (not necessarily agree with though) but let's see how many others can.

Bouncing Buggaboo.PNG

Firstly yes, thankfully nobody was killed. Now, with the absence of that in the title of the snippet posted, it is confidently assumed nobody did. But equally, on the same analogy, not too much else "bad" occurred or that was note worthy other than the rescuing, otherwise that would have been mentioned as well. If it was mentioned then obviously trash talking is off the table.

So to start.

"Trash talking" as long as it is not malicious, in some cases, saves lives, and this is one of those cases. So the guys that got rescued should take one for the team.

I posted

Bugatti wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:23 pm
cobby wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:09 pm
They're the kind of people natural selection would've taken care of 40 years ago
They were probably trying to find their Village , , , , and as Village idiots go , , , , failed miserably

Cheers, Bug , , , , happy in my Village :)
Both mine & cobby's comments were light hearted and not malicious, that's why I quoted his, I even called myself a Village Idiot. So I'm also happy to take one for the team.

The analogy is a bit like that lovable Aussie character, Paul Hogan, my 79th most favourite person , , , , oups, hold on, I forgot about Samuel L Jackson. So Mr Pulp Fiction Cool now slots into ,, , , um , , , , let's see , , , , yep 14th, so Paul Hogan is now my 80th most favourite person. Anyway, like how Hoges uses the word Dopey , , , , light hearted but equally you don't want to be called Dopey, so you are a bit more careful.

Dopey.PNG

So, to conclude, my esteemed colleagues , , , , some inexperienced people heed normal warnings. For those that don't, for those that are going to give it a go anyway , , , , by trash talking a situation, that might give them the next level of warning of "frick, don't want that to happen to me" , , , , and as a result they won't give it a go. Or at the very least take precautions they wouldn't of had otherwise , , , , which could be the difference to them not loosing their lives.

Also, by minimising those "extra" incidents, it doesn't give undue ridicule to the sport.

And, my closing statement is , , , , hence "Trash talking" as long as it is not malicious, in some cases, saves lives, and this is one of those cases.

Cheers, Buggaboo

FishnMiss

Post by FishnMiss » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:28 am

If you would like to learn more about surfskiing in the ocean check out a few clips:
https://youtu.be/VvFegImPpPo

Below is a bloke (multiple world champion) Oscar Chalupsky poetry in motion.

https://youtu.be/gkcvIIC5aqg

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:40 am

Ok I retract my previous statement of there idiots

There just crazy lol

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:41 am

Seb85 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:48 pm
Oh geez, hope they're okay.
I won't even go out on 25kmh wind and it was like 55kmh wind.
Even 20 is too strong for me lol

Return to “Portarlington to Queenscliff”