Custom made roof rack? Does anyone know

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Custom made roof rack? Does anyone know

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Hi all,

As you may already know, recently my mate and I purchased titan 10.5 and slayer 10.
We thought of few options but for now we're thinking to carry them on one car (roof rack).

The issue is that the titan is 95cm wide and 44kg, so gonna have to lay that flat. So we're thinking to horizontal stack them on the roof rack.

Does anyone know where I can get custom made roof rack to accommodate my need?
Not the best drawing but something like this. Possible?
Attachments
youdoodle-2019-09-11T22-39-10Z.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Re: Custom made roof rack? Does anyone know

Post by Tim399 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:33 pm

I can’t help on the custom made roof rack, but by the time you get a decent roof rack custom made (will have to be well made as there will be decent force from the top kayak pushing toward the rear of the car due to wind creating leverage at the lower rack join) it may end up costing similar to an old trailer that would be less strenuous to load up. Will be interesting to see what you come up with :cheers:

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:38 pm

I think you can get one where they are on there side not on there top or bottom which would reduce the width

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:42 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:33 pm
I can’t help on the custom made roof rack, but by the time you get a decent roof rack custom made (will have to be well made as there will be decent force from the top kayak pushing toward the rear of the car due to wind creating leverage at the lower rack join) it may end up costing similar to an old trailer that would be less strenuous to load up. Will be interesting to see what you come up with :cheers:
Hummm... Didn't think about that.
Well my roof rail can hold 80kg says the dealer and thinking to put the slayer 10 on the top as it's only 28kg. Maybe tie sorta rope at the front down to the car's hood. To prevent it going airborne.

Tow bar + trailer will cost me $1,000+ and I'm planning to replace my current car with a better one next year. So maybe not worth spending $600+ to install a tow bar, only to be used for few months.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:43 pm

Nude up wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:38 pm
I think you can get one where they are on there side not on there top or bottom which would reduce the width
Yes I have that, used it for the previous kayaks.
Problem is that the titan 10.5 is 95cm and 44kg. It has to lay flat. Can be put up on the side, too heavy and too wide.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:48 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:42 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Well my roof rail can hold 80kg says the dealer and thinking to put the slayer 10 on the top as it's only 28kg. Maybe tie sorta rope at the front down to the car's hood. To prevent it going airborne.

Tow bar + trailer will cost me $1,000+ and I'm planning to replace my current car with a better one next year. So maybe not worth spending $600+ to install a tow bar, only to be used for few months.
There may well be more than 80kg of load on the roof rack when you have that much weight and surface area doing 100km/hr down the highway. More so if there's a bit of wind blowing. It's not just the vertical load you have to worry about, it'll be buffeted from side to side and if you've got them stacked up there's going to be a lot more force on the racks.

You're better taking two cars with a kayak on each. Carrying two kayaks worth of gear in a single car would be a pain in the arse too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:06 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:48 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Tim399 wrote:

There may well be more than 80kg of load on the roof rack when you have that much weight and surface area doing 100km/hr down the highway. More so if there's a bit of wind blowing. It's not just the vertical load you have to worry about, it'll be buffeted from side to side and if you've got them stacked up there's going to be a lot more force on the racks.

You're better taking two cars with a kayak on each. Carrying two kayaks worth of gear in a single car would be a pain in the arse too.
Hummm... Fair point. Thanks for the input.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:11 pm

I guess the other thing to keep in mind is that losing a kayak off the roof won't just **** up a brand new kayak. It's also liable to hit another car doing 100km/hr coming the other way. Quite apart from all the paperwork involved with killing someone I think there's laws about making sure your load is secure that could result in a fine if something falls off.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:15 pm

Your best bet is to add a towbar and a second hand trailer.

Get the towbar from a wrecker. Will be cheaper. Make sure you get the wiring harness with it.
That way if you want to tow something else like a box trailer or perhaps a small boat then it can still be done.

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Tim399 wrote:

Agreed - with a possible car change coming up it would be hard to justify the money for a few trips.. I can’t think of any solutions, until you get another car your mate might have to find his own way to the water unfortunately

Return to “Off Topic Forum”