Re: brighton pier

Post by croe04 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:37 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:08 pm
croe04 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:31 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:04 pm
I don’t think there is any thing wrong with your technique mate :) should be some flatties around maybe some salmons and pinkies as well if fishing later into the afternoon!
What times of the day have you been fishing?
Hopefully you get onto some fish soon!
Cheers :thumbsup:
This morning I fished from 9-11am, most of my other sessions usually around 4-7pm, every so often I fish midday/early afternoon as well. Usually when I go is dictated by when high tide is. Would love some flatties or pinkies, hopefully they start showing up with the warmer weather

Cheers
Hey buddy fishing is crap at brighton at the moment like every time of the year .You will catch some good flatty,s once the water temp pick,s up maybe three week,s as for soft plastic,s squidgy wriggler 120mm pumpkin seed if you want send me a pm in a couple of week,s and can meet up for some tip,s
John Dory wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:22 pm
croe04 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:31 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:04 pm
I don’t think there is any thing wrong with your technique mate :) should be some flatties around maybe some salmons and pinkies as well if fishing later into the afternoon!
What times of the day have you been fishing?
Hopefully you get onto some fish soon!
Cheers :thumbsup:
This morning I fished from 9-11am, most of my other sessions usually around 4-7pm, every so often I fish midday/early afternoon as well. Usually when I go is dictated by when high tide is. Would love some flatties or pinkies, hopefully they start showing up with the warmer weather

Cheers
A couple hours either side of low tide is the go for flatties. But yeah it should start picking up everywhere over the next couple of weeks, i’ve fished 3 times the past few days and got nothing but undersize fish and a banjo haha. Keep on it
Cheers fellas, gonna keep at it in my spare time and hopefully i'll have something to show for it soon.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:16 pm

Hit brighton again this afternoon, few people fishing but didn't see any fish caught.
I started by trying to fish for squid around the bend in the rocks on the pier just past the baths, didn't get a touch, probably due to the fact that i don't really have a clue how to fish for squid lol. Changed onto a plastic and fished inside the breakwall, same method of 3 fanning casts up and back across the length of the wall. Not a sniff and lost some gear to the rocks. Was using 2 curly tail grubs and 4 inch curly-tail worms. Beautiful conditions though, sun was out and the water was flat as a tack and crystal clear. Planning on heading back on tuesday, probably at sunrise. Hopefully more fish turn up as the weather gets nicer. Starting to go a bit nuts as this is probably my 5th donuts session in a row.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Have caught plenty of squid right in front of the baths there too mate. Around the bend off the rocks is a great spot as well. Let the jig sink right down. The squid are on the bottom. Usually you have to be prepared to lose a jig or 2. But the spot in front of the baths isn’t too rocky. More weedy so unlikely you will lose any jigs! :)

croe04

Post by croe04 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:29 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:25 pm
Have caught plenty of squid right in front of the baths there too mate. Around the bend off the rocks is a great spot as well. Let the jig sink right down. The squid are on the bottom. Usually you have to be prepared to lose a jig or 2. But the spot in front of the baths isn’t too rocky. More weedy so unlikely you will lose any jigs! :)
Few questions ,
What size and colour jigs would you say are best for brighton?
How aggressively and frequently do you jig?
And how do you actually tell if you're on? squid don't bite the way fish do nor do they have headshakes so it just a sudden resistance on your line?

Cheers

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:29 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Few questions ,
And how do you actually tell if you're on? squid don't bite the way fish do nor do they have headshakes so it just a sudden resistance on your line?

Cheers
I haven’t fished for squid from Brighton for quite awhile, but having said that I have caught my fair share from that pier. Size 3.0 and no stand out jig colour. I used to just change colours till I got one and stick with it. You will know when you have a squid on. Many times when I have hooked a big one I initially thought that I had snagged the bottom! It’s like reeling in a dead weight with some lunges from time to time as they pull backwards.
Just don’t get inked when you bring it up :thumbsup:

croe04

Post by croe04 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:37 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm
croe04 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Few questions ,

Cheers
I haven’t fished for squid from Brighton for quite awhile, but having said that I have caught my fair share from that pier. Size 3.0 and no stand out jig colour. I used to just change colours till I got one and stick with it. You will know when you have a squid on. Many times when I have hooked a big one I initially thought that I had snagged the bottom! It’s like reeling in a dead weight with some lunges from time to time as they pull backwards.
Cheers for the help, the first and only jig I have is a shimano natural pilly one, so I think I made the right choice :) , gonna keep at it, lots more spare time now and i'm keen to grab some fresh bait for snapper season :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:52 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:37 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:34 pm
croe04 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Few questions ,

Cheers
Cheers for the help, the first and only jig I have is a shimano natural pilly one, so I think I made the right choice :) , gonna keep at it, lots more spare time now and i'm keen to grab some fresh bait for snapper season :thumbsup:

Yeah croe, LX is spot on, very simple. If you have the ability or lack of fishos there. Moving up and down the "Spot" trying every few metres, with that faning 3 cast method, should cover ground better.

Some go aggressive action some slow. I'm simple. Drop till you think you are just above the bottom, two (or three) tugs/twitches, then a couple if winds of the reel , not full aggressive as if they are finicky that seems to not attract them. Then reoeat. Also, keep in mind, a squid might follow your Jag in, so when your about close to you, just slow it down and look too, the straggler follower might take it.

No heads shakes. LX, said it best , , , , you first think your snagged, so I just hold the rod up and pause, if it's a squid, you will start to feel lunges. Slow reel in as the squid might only be hooked by a tentacle

Good luck, they are fun to catch, and always a story to tell too, especially with getting inked :o_0:

Cheers, Bugs

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:55 pm

croe04 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:29 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:27 pm
Looks like your fairly keen to get some squid soon mate :)
Indeed I am, hoping to end my streak of donuts soon. Might go hit brighton again at sunrise on tuesday :tu:
croe, it just occurred to me something that would increase your chances of getting your squid.

The "Teaser Method", which I think works better than a fish jig on a float as a put down outfit

Now this method can't be pulled out of a hat on a Jetty with out pre-planning but the "teaser method" works reasonably well when fishing for squid, especially if they are timid. An unweighted fish (Tommie/Aussie Herring or a little Silver Whiting) tied (wire loop through the eyes, or vertically done through the head & jaw) to a line, no float, no jag, just a fish on the mainline clipped by a swivel. Cast in a weedy broken bottom area and let it drift, float sway in the water, it would work it's way to the bottom. When a Squid grabs it, the line would peel on the reel, so have the drag light, slowly bring in the Squid to the surface and then pull the fish out of the water and quickly plonk a Squid Jag on another rod setup next to the Squid, it should grab it with vigour.

If you feel the squid let go of the fish before you get it close, then stop reeling and let it go. The squid should grab the fish again. But while you wait, you now know there is a hungry squid there so start casting you casting jag in that vicinity, to hopefully get it that way.

If I remember and bring fish, I use this method as a second line in the water, and it works quietly while you fish with the jag as well.

Good luck

Cheers, Bugs

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:36 pm

very quite at the moment cant get a hit on the soft plastic,s might take the nitro messiah out tomorrow and some big bait,s and see what,s out deeper

Return to “Brighton to Sandringham”