Beginner Egi Rod

Southern Calamari, Squidding, Egi, Squid Jigs, Melbourne Squid Fishing Locations,
Cephalopod
saph
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Beginner Egi Rod

Post by saph » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:02 am

magpie_mick wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:45 am
This is cheap but value option
Shimano Sienna Quickfire MK2 EGI 7'6" 2500 Spinning Combo 7 ft 6 in - $59 for club members.

https://www.anacondastores.com/fishing/ ... BP90120791
Why must you tempt me more so at 59 dollars tho i wonder why it didnt show when i was hunting about for a squid rod because i looked at anaconda and it was never there. I wonder tho if i should get one for some normal fishing and save carrying 2 fibreglass rods.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:05 am

saph wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:02 am
magpie_mick wrote:
Shimano Sienna Quickfire MK2 EGI 7'6" 2500 Spinning Combo 7 ft 6 in - $59 for club members.

Why must you tempt me more so at 59 dollars tho i wonder why it didnt show when i was hunting about for a squid rod because i looked at anaconda and it was never there. I wonder tho if i should get one for some normal fishing and save carrying 2 fibreglass rods.
Ah the temptation :sr:
$59 graphite combo >>> any fibreglass rod
lol
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

saph

Post by saph » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:07 am

Seb85 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:05 am
saph wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:02 am
magpie_mick wrote:

Ah the temptation :sr:
$59 graphite combo >>> any fibreglass rod
lol
the temptation is there but i dislike split grips since i use rods holders the local council put in and ive had them scratch up blanks before.

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:19 am

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:57 am
The rovex is just garbage.
Put some extra $$$ and get something better.
Ns Blackwater, major craft solpara etc..
I would wait for the Christmas sales to start soon, might be some bRgains to be had.
Tackleworld is having a big daiwa sale on atm, so have a look there as well.
Cheers
Id love an emeraldas 2508 dh combo, one of my mates has it and it’s incredibly smooth and satisfying to use. Although the solpara is a fair bit cheaper
thanks

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:21 am

I've had the opportunity to muck around with quite a few egi rods and so far I am yet to find something that performs like the solpara at the price point.

A lot of the cheaper combos/rods that have been suggested here are just longer graphite rods with a slightly slower action and don't assist in casting and working the jigs the way an egi rod does. It really depends on what you want the rod to do, as has been established before just about any rod can work a jig for squid but the difference between just any old graphite rod and an egi rod for working jigs and fighting squid is enormous.

If you are just casting out jigs and throwing the rod in a holder just about anything will get the job done but from my experience you will catch less squid doing this than actively working the jig (literally never had a trip where the drifting jig has outfished the actively worked one).

For getting into it if you want the rod to be a dedicated squid outfit I would save up and grab the solpara, the other thing I will add is that the regular weight spec (code ends in an e) from majorcraft is still quite comfortable working 3.5 and 3.5d squid jigs like you would use at portsea/sorrento but can still use 2.5 and 3.0 while the heavy ones (eh) struggle a bit working the smaller jigs imo
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

saph

Post by saph » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 am

mazman wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:21 am
I've had the opportunity to muck around with quite a few egi rods and so far I am yet to find something that performs like the solpara at the price point.

A lot of the cheaper combos/rods that have been suggested here are just longer graphite rods with a slightly slower action and don't assist in casting and working the jigs the way an egi rod does. It really depends on what you want the rod to do, as has been established before just about any rod can work a jig for squid but the difference between just any old graphite rod and an egi rod for working jigs and fighting squid is enormous.

If you are just casting out jigs and throwing the rod in a holder just about anything will get the job done but from my experience you will catch less squid doing this than actively working the jig (literally never had a trip where the drifting jig has outfished the actively worked one).

For getting into it if you want the rod to be a dedicated squid outfit I would save up and grab the solpara, the other thing I will add is that the regular weight spec (code ends in an e) from majorcraft is still quite comfortable working 3.5 and 3.5d squid jigs like you would use at portsea/sorrento but can still use 2.5 and 3.0 while the heavy ones (eh) struggle a bit working the smaller jigs imo
Im not sure why you would post up to get a 150 dollar rod for someone just starting.

Also ive casted out my rovex rod on 4.0 jigs fine and its not had issues, when i mentioned rod holders its for bait fishing i was looking at the other combos on anaconda that are also at 59 dollars. Also ive looked at the solpara's and those are only upto 3.5 that cuts out all 4.0 jigs and baited spikes where as the rovex can do 4.0.

ronan

Post by ronan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 am

saph wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 am
mazman wrote:

Im not sure why you would post up to get a 150 dollar rod for someone just starting.

Also ive casted out my rovex rod on 4.0 jigs fine and its not had issues, when i mentioned rod holders its for bait fishing i was looking at the other combos on anaconda that are also at 59 dollars. Also ive looked at the solpara's and those are only upto 3.5 that cuts out all 4.0 jigs and baited spikes where as the rovex can do 4.0.
Im not going to be throwing 4.0s or using baited spikes

ronan

Post by ronan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 am

mazman wrote:

What reel would you chuck on the solpara, don’t really know where to start, thanks for responding

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:00 pm

saph wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:32 am
mazman wrote:

Because comparatively speaking the +$100 rod runs a million rings around a Rovex or a rebadged 2-4kg Catana. There's a pretty good saying when it comes to dedicated egi gear, if it ain't Jap take it back.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm

ronan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 am
What reel would you chuck on the solpara, don’t really know where to start, thanks for responding
What's your budget for the reel?
For squiding, the rod matters the most I'd say. And the reel, the lighter the better, but also means more expensive.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Return to “Squid Fishing”