Boatsales scams?

bugeater
Has liked: 1 time

Boatsales scams?

Post by bugeater » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:43 pm

Been a while since I've been on here. Been kayaking a lot, but really want to explore more, so a boat would be nice.

Something came up on boatsales that was too good to be true. Got a message asking to email a certain address for more details. Almost instantly got a long response from a different email.... moving to New Zealand at the end of the month.. won't be back for years. Member of defence force... currently in Tasmania... if you buy will deliver it to you with RAAF truck...

Hmmmm. Yeah a scam right?

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Boatsales scams?

Post by re-tyred » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:07 am

Yep scam. Only pay when you have the vessel and you have checked for clear title.Rego check. Pay now and I'll deliver is always a scam
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:35 am

Yeap, scam.
Heaps of them. Not just boatsales, happens in carsales and bikesales too. And gumtree. With similar method.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:03 pm

I bought a car and a boat Dec/Jan and the scams were endless - if someone claims to be a Defence force member and wants a deposit or holding fee just ask them for a copy of their Defence ID Card. I had two such "sellers" - both of whom quickly vanished when I asked for an ID card copy!

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:02 pm

Looking at the email, he claimed payment would be only after delivery and an inspection. But I'm sure a deposit would have come up at some point.
Anyway, I've bought a new boat. :bn:

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:14 pm

yeah scam. they will ask for payment through western union or something and say something like its in storage and you cant see it, it will be freighted via amazon global or some crap but it doesn't exist. came across them all the time when i was looking for a boat years ago.

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:21 pm

Boatsales only today sent emails and a text telling me is a suspected scam. Took them long enough.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:43 pm

thomas87 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:41 pm
Paulanderson wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:03 pm
I bought a car and a boat Dec/Jan and the scams were endless - if someone claims to be a Defence force member and wants a deposit or holding fee just ask them for a copy of their Defence ID Card. I had two such "sellers" - both of whom quickly vanished when I asked for an ID card copy!
Wow, that's awesome. It is important to wash your car regularly if you want to keep it protected. Do not worry about not knowing where car washes are located if you don't know where they are. Incarwash.com is a popular site that provides information about car wash locations. There is no charge for using this site. You can find touchless car wash services here.
I wonder how many people actually click on that blue hyperlink.

🤔
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:24 pm

thomas87 wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:41 pm
Paulanderson wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:03 pm
Wow, that's awesome. It is important to wash your car regularly if you want to keep it protected. Do not worry about not knowing where car washes are located if you don't know where they are. Incarwash.com is a popular site that provides information about car wash locations. There is no charge for using this site. You can find touchless car wash services here.
Thomas reply to this with “ I like fishing “ if your not a bot account.

bugeater

Post by bugeater » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:29 pm

Trying to scam people in a thread about scams. Meta

Return to “Boating”