Wind Speed - 10 to 16 knots too windy for boating?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
kenshinnn

Post by kenshinnn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 am

How strong is 10-16knots of wind? planning to go fishing on the boat this weekend. Will it be rough or not? Think its a good idea or should i stay home?
Body is soooooo itching to fish.!!!!

Im pretty new to boating so im not sure how strong is the wind while out there. Try searching but cant find any answer so i gotta ask!!. sorry in advance :)

Ken.

Dr Drift

Re: Wind Speed

Post by Dr Drift » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:24 am

kenshinnn wrote:How strong is 10-16knots of wind? planning to go fishing on the boat this weekend. Will it be rough or not? Think its a good idea or should i stay home?
Body is soooooo itching to fish.!!!!

Im pretty new to boating so im not sure how strong is the wind while out there. Try searching but cant find any answer so i gotta ask!!. sorry in advance :)

Ken.

What sort off boat u got? Where u launching from? Its supposed to be 10-15ssw... and cause Friday wil be roughly the same conditions will be fine.... in saying this if you only got a small tinny it might be a little different....
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

Raulfc7
Has liked: 22 times

Re: Wind Speed

Post by Raulfc7 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:25 am

I think you should also factor in which direction the wind will be coming from and what area you will be fishing as it may or may not be sheltered.
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

kenshinnn

Re: Wind Speed - 10 to 16 knots too windy for boating?

Post by kenshinnn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 am

Got a fibreglass boat 7.5m with a 75hp motor. Will be lauching at the warmies and prob fishing out near williamstown.

adsukir34

Post by adsukir34 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:43 am

Your answer is all dependent on boat size, which bay,tide flow and wind direction. It's a lot to take in but once you get your head around it it's easy to work out.
, 10 knots isn't too bad. just take into consideration that a wind blowing against the tide will produce more chop or swell. Especially in Westernport .
Also the longer the wind blows over a body of water the worse it will be ( I think they call that the fetch). So if you had a westerly it would be better at say altona then a patto on the east side.
If you haven't already get onto a weather site like willyweather, it will give you all the info you need on tide and wind direction etc.
Going out in a 10-15knt wind taking all these things into consideration would be quite fine but on the other side if you went out on the other side of the bay with the tide going the other way it would be a washing machine.
Hope this helps and just remember if your umming and arring about the weather better to stay at home.

Adsy.

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 am

kenshinnn wrote:Got a fibreglass boat 7.5m with a 75hp motor. Will be lauching at the warmies and prob fishing out near williamstown.
7.5m fibreglass with 75hp??? mine is 7.2m with 300hp... u sure u got ur measurements right? anyway that's not the point... if its got 75hp I assume its at least 15ft fibreglass.. out off Newport(warmies) with a ssw 10-15kn as predicted u will be fine fishing around willy.... only thing is as u go through the opening during certain tides or changes it can seem too be "alittle" lumpy.... but once u pass that section and turn right to go towards footy ground area u will be fine.... u will be going into the wind if forecast is right on the way out! Good thing cause that just means even if it blows up its a lot easier going in! Cause u will be riding the waves in.... but looking at forecast myself... reckon its gonna be ok and probably be out there myself....
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

kenshinnn

Post by kenshinnn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:26 pm

oh my bad. the motor is 175hp 6cyl mercury engine.

Sounds good i will be going then, hopefully catch something :) .
Thanks for the info guys.

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Should be easily done with a 7.5 mtr boat!! I've been out with 20-25knots ssw in 5.2mtr ally with a 90 honda.

Dr drift: u have a bloody nice rig there mate.
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

Dr Drift

Post by Dr Drift » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:30 pm

kenshinnn wrote:oh my bad. the motor is 175hp 6cyl mercury engine.

Definitely not a problem than! I always on 94... might hear from ya...
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

FishHardButFishSafe...

kenshinnn

Post by kenshinnn » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:42 pm

i'll have a look out for that boat on your avatar, lol yell out if i see :p

Return to “General”