Broken rod tip help

Pelican

Broken rod tip help

Post by Pelican » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi all my 8 ft rod had a run in with a car door ( stupid me) had a look on google most were saying to just shorten rod and replace tip. Is that my only option? Any help appreciated
Attachments
image.jpg

rixter

Re: Broken rod tip help

Post by rixter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Pelican wrote:had a look on google most were saying to just shorten rod and replace tip.
That's about the best option unfortunately. Bummer when that happens !.
At least it broke at a point close to the end where a new guide will fit perfect (the new tip will still be an ok distance to the next guide/eye) , any shorter and you would of had to reposition the other guides to match, or have to of cut it even shorter to the next guide/eye.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

intercooledpc2
Has liked: 2 times

Post by intercooledpc2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:51 pm

Oh bumer. Not to worry, a good excuse to upgrade! :)

But on a serious note, i broke my 2-4 graphite rod a little while back and my dad somehow magically fixed it and the repair hasn't let me down yet!
Perhaps with my rod being graphite, the process you would employ here might be a bit different, but in a nut shell, he basically used a 4cm or 5cm length of round, aluminium tube, almost the same diameter as the rod itself. I'm pretty sure the 2 ends of the rod fit quite snug into this piece of tubing and he basically used araldite glue to join them. Probably worth sanding either side of the brake spot to allow the glue to get a good grip between the rod pieces and the tubing band aid.

I'm not sure if this will work in your case, as my rod broke further down and not so close to the top. You might end up with the same sensitivity in the tip regardless if you employ the same method i have described or if you chose to make the rod shorter. The tubing option is bound to make your tip a little less flexy, perhaps you can choose a smaller piece, say 3 or 4cm.

Hope this all makes sense and helps you decide. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Dave

rixter

Post by rixter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Solid tip rod I'm guessing ? , usually are when they are clear. They can be re-glassed but it's probably cheaper to buy a new rod !, and just fix that one as a spare.

Cheers , Rick.
Here Fishy Fishy Image
Patience Young Grasshopper.

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm

About 10bux at HookUp FTG and they'll put another tip on it.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 pm

It will never be the same though.

Pelican

Post by Pelican » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks all kind of what I was thinking quick fix for a back up rod and I get to go shopping. Anyone got good thoughts on a new multi purpose rod for land based 5-7 kg?

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:07 am

general purpose for what kinda fishing? what kinda budget you looking at? is it going to be for salt water on the piers or fresh water in tight structure areas? if pier or beach fishing i on a budget i would recommend http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/boutique.lounge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
. i bought a 16 foot graphite rod from them and i love it. i have caught everything from king george whiting to gummy sharks on the rod. i have never had a problem with it once i got use to casting it. its 16 feet long and also has a sensitive tip on it so took a bit of time to get use to casting such a long rod with a sensitive tip. but i can cat about 120 meters on a day with no wind casting a number 4 pyramid sinker with it easily. the tip is sensitive enough for bream, king george, flatties and other small fish. but its a tough enough rod to pull in big snapper and gummies. they also have smaller rods on their site. rods for many different types of fishing. i got mine in a ebay auction really cheap. i think their buy it now options are a bit on the high side. if you want a name brand rod with all the bells and whistles then look at shimano or diawa website to figure out what you would like through their specs. but i love my cheap fishing boutique surf rod lol. i did put a shimano 12000 oc to go on it though also so that probably has some to do with the performance of the rod also. good luck in your search mate.

Master Baiter
Has liked: 8 times

Post by Master Baiter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 am

A bit late posting but I did the same thing with car door as well,fixed the rod by putting on a quiver tip love it better than it was in the first place.
Cheers Wally
Always take a good look at what you are about to eat. It’s not so important to know what it is .but it’s critical to know what it was.
Wally 20/6/20

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:12 pm

I had two broken rod tips that I took down to Southern Sportsfishing in Black Rock last week.

Daiwa Seajigger 305 and a Starlo Classix 9 footer:
Damaged Luggage 2.jpg
Wayne had them fixed and back to me within 3 days at a grand total of only $34.
IMG_4605.JPG
Definitely highly recommended!

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”