Fisheries operation on Corio Bay starts today

News and media releases from the Department of Primary Industries (DPI)
fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:57 am

The Hon Peter Walsh MP
Minister for Agriculture and Food Security
Minister for Water
Visit http://www.premier.vic.gov.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more news
Media release
Wednesday 1 January 2014

A major enforcement operation on Corio Bay begins today to ensure all commercial and
recreational fishers are aware of Victoria’s fisheries regulations and are obeying bag limits and
legal catch sizes.
The compliance activity also coincides with the start of a major survey of recreational fishing
activity in the popular Corio Bay area.
Minister for Agriculture and Food Security Peter Walsh said Operation TEMPUS would see
Fisheries Victoria officers out in force on the water and at boat ramps during the summer to carry
out inspections and educate fishers about the Victoria’s fisheries laws.
“As part of Operation TEMPUS our Fisheries Victoria officers will intensify monitoring of
commercial and recreational fishing in Corio Bay to ensure all fishers are fully compliant with the
law,” Mr Walsh said.
“On top of these compliance activities, Operation TEMPUS will also have a strong education focus
which includes setting up the Fisheries Victoria marine education trailer at popular recreational
boat ramps.
“The operation will remind people about the need to fish sustainably and responsibly in Corio Bay
and surrounding waters.
“While the vast majority of fishers understand and comply with Victoria’s fisheries laws, our
fisheries officers play a critical role in educating the community and combatting illegal fishing
through their enforcement activities.”
Member for South Barwon Andrew Katos said the education and enforcement actions would be
complemented by an $80,000 survey of recreational fishing activity in Corio Bay over summer.
“The survey will involve talking to fishers at boat ramps to assess the boat-based recreational
catch and effort in the Corio and Outer Corio areas of Port Phillip Bay,” Mr Katos said.
“It will then enable the Department of Environment and Primary Industries to model and compare
the recreational catch with the commercial catch over the last 12 years.”
Mr Katos was last week onboard one of three new Victorian Government patrol boats which will
strengthen Fisheries Victoria’s capacity to carry out enforcement activities this summer.
“The rigid hull inflatable vessel, which can travel at speeds of up to 45 knots (about 83 kilometres
an hour), is based at Altona and will playing a key role in Fisheries Victoria’s enforcement
activities on Port Phillip Bay,” Mr Katos said.
If you see or suspect illegal fishing, call the 24-hour offence hotline 13 FISH (13 3474).
Media contact: Les White 0409 805 122 les.white@minstaff.vic.gov.au

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Fisheries operation on Corio Bay starts today

Post by Nude up » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:53 pm

It would be nice to see some money spent on more boat ramps the queues have been terrible. They must be making heaps on boat/trailer rego's and boat licences. I am happy they are also targeting the pro's as well not just the pleasure angler. Here's something for there survey $16 to launch your boat is robbery and then some ramps do not even have cleaning tables we are probably subsidizing bicycle paths which they don't use.rant over

Timi200

Post by Timi200 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:58 pm

3 words: upgrade altona ramp.

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Nude up wrote:It would be nice to see some money spent on more boat ramps the queues have been terrible. They must be making heaps on boat/trailer rego's and boat licences.................................................................
Not sure who 'they' is but is the money paid to DEPI? I have no idea!
Nude up wrote:........................................................................................................................ Here's something for there survey $16 to launch your boat is robbery and then some ramps do not even have cleaning tables we are probably subsidizing bicycle paths which they don't use.rant over
Do DEPI maintain boat ramps and administer charges? I wonder if it would be a thieving council thing? As for the 'cleaning tables', I have no doubt that it a DEPI issue.
Nude up wrote:................rant over
No probs! :-D Good to get it out of your system! :Boxing:
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:09 pm

I know around here all the boat ramps are installed and maintained by council. Jetties and navigation is Gippsland ports or Port of Melbourne down there. DPI is just fisheries management.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:45 pm

I am aware the council own and run the ramps but the dpi is a government dept as is vic roads who administer the boat rego/trailer rego and the boat operators licence and all the money goes into the vic governments general revenue. So maybe the government should build more ramps and subsidize the ramp fee's works for me

WyldFisher

Post by WyldFisher » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:31 pm

About time they had a operation on Corio Bay

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Why warn people though? It's like cops going to a pub and saying they are setting up a booze bus around the corner. Just let the people doing the wrong thing get caught red handed.

andyk

Post by andyk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Go get em boys good work keep it up i hate poachers.!!!!!!!

FishnMiss
Has liked: 10 times

Post by FishnMiss » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:04 pm

ducky wrote:Why warn people though? It's like cops going to a pub and saying they are setting up a booze bus around the corner. Just let the people doing the wrong thing get caught red handed.
Hey Ducky,
I agree with you, just like the booze bus ads they need to get out there and bust those doing the wrong thing. DPI I'm sure are trying, but from what I've seen over the past 12 months, they can sure do more to protect & promote the sustainability of fish in Victoria.
" For Evil to triumph, all that Good people have to do is - Nothing "

Return to “Department of Primary Industries / Fisheries”