Night fishing offshore??

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Hosery

Night fishing offshore??

Post by Hosery » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:14 am

Well guys after a few of your ideas/tips on fishing offshore after dark.

I've done a few camp outs with very average results. Not to mention cold, damp and minimal sleep but that's not the issue. 2 trips off Lakes Entrance and 1 off Cape Conran. Tried in close for gummies and on the reef. Reef was no good after dark. Few gummies after dark but a lot of rubbish in close around the 14 metre mark from memory.

More so after tips regarding the reef though mostly targeting snapper etc. My findings were the fish feed well up to last light than shut down. Than bite again on first light. Each time there was a lot of phosphorus in the water so unsure whether the movement of the boat making lines move and glow would put the fish off in the dark? Maybe sharks moving in puts the fish into hiding.

I've also had the same with a handful of arvo runs. Fish feed till last light than shut down.

I havnt given up on it yet. When the weather warms a little will give it a few more chances before I can it.

Anyway keen to hear how others may of gone after dark chasing fish offshore especially lakes entrance but anywhere else.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Re: Night fishing offshore??

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:40 pm

We fished a few times after dark anchored up on the 4 mile reef off Bermagui and we had little success with anything decent - just trash fish. It was a pleasant experience though. We also spent a couple of nights anchored at Montague Island again with not a lot to show for it

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:41 pm

Plenty of fish to be caught at all times of the day and night.

Reef fishing is particularly good at night up north helps prevent being sharked.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Paulanderson wrote:We fished a few times after dark anchored up on the 4 mile reef off Bermagui and we had little success with anything decent - just trash fish. It was a pleasant experience though. We also spent a couple of nights anchored at Montague Island again with not a lot to show for it
Interesting. Did you only start fishing after dark or fish into the night? Anything on the chew before dark? It's just odd when I've been out and they bite till dark than completely shut off once dark.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:33 pm

frozenpod wrote:Plenty of fish to be caught at all times of the day and night.

Reef fishing is particularly good at night up north helps prevent being sharked.
I understand that certain fishing is better after dark. I fish for other fish in the dark sometimes with success.

Yeah a mate of mine on the sunny coast fishes lots on the reef at night with really good results. But nearly all live baiting so recon that will be my next trick.

Paulanderson
Has liked: 59 times

Post by Paulanderson » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi Hosery twice we were doing ok on the 4 mile with a few snapper and mowies etc but when it got dark the bites were few and far between. Up at the Island we caught one good Kingfish after dark but had been doing much better during the late afternoon. Its still better than being on shore though!

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:31 am

Best times out of Lakes Entrance for snapper is Sunrise till mid morning then mid afternoon till sunset. Always worth sticking at it at moonrise when there is a bright moon. Flathead best time is all day rarely at night. Gummies on the beach to 20mtrs, is well worth night fishing for around the full moon.
Pinkies have slowed up now, typical August. Had just 2 on Friday and a nice mowie. Had a shark of some sort by the feel of it but it bite me off. Then had what I think was a large ray, took about 50 mtrs of line then snagged me on the rocks. After a lot of hard work I landed a rock ??? It was about 4kg. Bloody hard work.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:37 pm

re-tyred wrote:Best times out of Lakes Entrance for snapper is Sunrise till mid morning then mid afternoon till sunset. Always worth sticking at it at moonrise when there is a bright moon. Flathead best time is all day rarely at night. Gummies on the beach to 20mtrs, is well worth night fishing for around the full moon.
Pinkies have slowed up now, typical August. Had just 2 on Friday and a nice mowie. Had a shark of some sort by the feel of it but it bite me off. Then had what I think was a large ray, took about 50 mtrs of line then snagged me on the rocks. After a lot of hard work I landed a rock ??? It was about 4kg. Bloody hard work.
Cheers for the reply re-tyred. Good effort on bringing in a rock. Yeah I'm counting down till cup weekend for the big reds to show up.
Think my next night mission might be out wide for a change before giving up on the idea.

alicec02

Post by alicec02 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Paulanderson wrote:We fished a few times after dark anchored up on the 4 mile reef off Bermagui and we had little success with anything decent - just trash fish. It was a pleasant experience though mutuelles Entreprise. We also spent a couple of nights anchored at Montague Island again with not a lot to show for it
I have not been fishing for a long time. I think we'll be back next season.

Return to “General”