Has liked: 15 times

Interesting could save a life

Post by cahoona » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Intereting could save a life

Post by Sebb » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Oh wow.
Especially in western port, the current is super strong there.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Interesting could save a life

Post by Lightningx » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:39 pm

That’s an interesting vid. The rope out the back is a good idea.
Cheers.

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:51 pm

I saw this the other day. In western port even the strongest swimmers will struggle making it back to the boat especially in the colder months. I believe life jackets should be mandatory in western port so anyone overboard has half a chance even if they drift away there is a good chance another boat will pick them up and the only injury will be there ego.

The rope at the back is a good idea but won't be of any use on you own. My heart sinks everytime I see fishermen have drowned on the news. Stay safe everyone.

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:42 pm

KeenAds wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:51 pm
I saw this the other day. In western port even the strongest swimmers will struggle making it back to the boat especially in the colder months. I believe life jackets should be mandatory in western port so anyone overboard has half a chance even if they drift away there is a good chance another boat will pick them up and the only injury will be there ego.

The rope at the back is a good idea but won't be of any use on you own
. My heart sinks everytime I see fishermen have drowned on the news. Stay safe everyone.
Why's that ... I fish off lakes a lot on my own and leave a 15m rope out the back for this very reason as I have a Heart problem .
So far I have not lost a fish because of it ...
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:42 pm
KeenAds wrote:

The rope at the back is a good idea but won't be of any use on you own
. My heart sinks everytime I see fishermen have drowned on the news. Stay safe everyone.
Why's that ... I fish off lakes a lot on my own and leave a 15m rope out the back for this very reason as I have a Heart problem .
So far I have not lost a fish because of it ...
From what I understood in the clip the rope out the back was just coiled at the back of the boat so someone on board can quickly throw it out in case of an emergency.

I agree if you through it out as soon as you anchor it would be better especially if your on your own.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:55 pm

That was a great video thanks for sharing.
Those who aren't experienced on Westernport are always surprised at the strength of the current some take it for granted Imagine if it was Winga or the old Chap in the water and not a younger fitter lad like Adrian would be a lot harder for them to handle those conditions.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:57 pm

KeenAds wrote:
yes and no something else worth thing about as the water cools the chances of Hypothermia grow greater time in the water could also be a huge problem -
This youtube clip bought up quite the discussion on Vyak ( kayak forum ) as quite a few of us fish WP - not normally in quite the tide flows that many boaters park but enough flow that we would also struggle to get back to our kayaks if we fell out at anchor
I have tried this a long time ago ( not by choice ) but was able to grab the yak quickly and re mount it - one thing in many kayakers favour is we dress for immersion or the smarter ones do - ie no cotton - layers that keep us warm even when wet and even if we take an unplanned swim

very few Boaters are dressed for immersion so time in the water is also a problem - leaving it to chance that there is another boater in your drift path is a bit sketchy for my thinking
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:09 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:57 pm
KeenAds wrote:
yes and no something else worth thing about as the water cools the chances of Hypothermia grow greater time in the water could also be a huge problem -
This youtube clip bought up quite the discussion on Vyak ( kayak forum ) as quite a few of us fish WP - not normally in quite the tide flows that many boaters park but enough flow that we would also struggle to get back to our kayaks if we fell out at anchor
I have tried this a long time ago ( not by choice ) but was able to grab the yak quickly and re mount it - one thing in many kayakers favour is we dress for immersion or the smarter ones do - ie no cotton - layers that keep us warm even when wet and even if we take an unplanned swim

very few Boaters are dressed for immersion so time in the water is also a problem - leaving it to chance that there is another boater in your drift path is a bit sketchy for my thinking
Especially at night.

Gultch78
Has liked: 312 times

Post by Gultch78 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:24 pm

Maybe you guys should all fish in harness's and tie yourself to the boat similar to working at heights send me a pm and i can organise a solution for you
I was a premium member before it was cool #aheadofthepack

Return to “Boating”