What are you good at, average and not very good? With tips and tricks

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: What are you good at, average and not very good? With tips and tricks

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:02 pm

I'm extremely good at making small fish look.big in pics :-D

I'm average at everything else fishing related.

Really suck at fishing freshwater.

For the tips and tricks part .

Use gulps only
Face back to moon at all times.
Hold camera as close as possible and take 10 pics of same fish from.different angles.
Post on social media and enjoy the attention while sipping on a caramel.latte.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:50 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:12 pm
What im good at I find, is actually having the willingness to try something new.
Often thats the hardest part, with today's knowledge base, there is always info out there. Just doing the basics right be it lure fishing\bait fishing\live bait , without over complicating rigs and finding reasonable locations has paid off big time for me.
Like Maz says, sometimes the basics are the hardest to do.
This is good. I believe there are moments in many people when we are facing a dilemma of trying something new or stick to the same thing, especially when the fishing is tough/quiet. Maybe because that same old ways were always working or a habit wise.
Old school vs new kids on the block. Each has it's own pros and cons I reckon.

There were times I found bait outfished lures and lures outfished bait. Til now, I think they have their places. Apple vs Orange.

And yes, sometimes the basics are the hardest to do.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:58 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:11 pm
good at catching gar,s same with squid very handy using and catching fish on soft plastics (been using for over20yrs) .Now the not so good snapper on bait if i use snelled hooks they keep biting in the middle between the two hook,s.bloody metal lures cant get that right lure seem,s to be right up near the surface if i slow down on the retreive i,m not sure if the lure is producing the right action yeah i know use a heavier lure just not sure if throwing a 40grm lure would be appropriate for the local pier,s brighton, mordy etc any advice? I mainly use a 1/8 jighead for my softplastic,s and know exactly how to work them
I had the same issue when I started using metal slugs for salmons. Some lures tend to do more 'skipping' on the surface than the others. Yes, the retrieve should be fast but not too fast the lure skips or jumps off the surface, should be just right under the surface.
My favourite metal slug is halco twisty, can be retrieved slow/fast just under the surface and still maintain the wobbly action.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:08 pm

e.welch wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:03 am
im best at baits have caught 2 things on lure in queensland but im not very good with lures
I get excited when I catch trout on dry fly, yet my heart is still beating hard when I see my bait rod buckles.
The preparation, the wait, the anticipation,... and Bang!

Few days ago I went to Sandringham rockwall and one of my bait rod nearly went into the drink, I missed it and my legs were shaking. Would've been a good pinkie.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:11 pm

I think that establishing areas to work on is a great way to grow as an angler. This is going to be about lure fishing largely because I don't regularly bait fish.

What I'm good at - small systems, irrespective of whether I'm on foot or the kayak small systems is where I am most comfortable.

What I'm average at- Using electronics to find fish, 6 months ago this would have come under what I'm bad at but I've put in a lot of work into becoming more proficient with my sounder. This is made a huge difference to my fishing and I look forward to eventually being able to call it a strength.

What I'm bad at - When I fish socially I tend to be a bit too stubborn, wanting to catch fish in the way I enjoy most rather than just doing what would be best for the situation. This is a bit of a different one because it's not entirely a negative but I definitely think it has reduced my catch rate overall, the positive side to this is I have caught a lot of fish on surface (or other more active lure techniques) in conditions that you would normally think really don't suit.

*note* this is for people wishing to take fishing a bit more seriously, I understand to others that it's more about an escape than anything else.

Tip - Don't give up on new techniques, it's easy to get disheartened when you're trying a new way of fishing. It's very easy to see everyone's successful posts on the forum, Instagram, facebook or vids on youtube and think that because you aren't catching fish like that or having sessions like that you aren't good as an angler. As someone who is starting to put a bit of content out about my successful trips I am getting asked how I do it, a lot of it comes down to time on the water, trying to refine techniques or just blatantly putting in bulk hours to strive towards a goal. As someone viewing from the outside you don't get to see just how much effort is being put in by the individual posting not just the trip where it came together but the countless others where little things were learnt that eventually built to being in the right place at the right time with the knowledge and skills to execute.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Post by matari » Wed May 01, 2019 6:17 am

I would think im good at squid fishing only because of my father, im pretty average at cod fishing and im not very good at flathead fishing
portsea.jpg
tips for squid
jig fast around 5 times and then make it two times at night
change jigs often if your on a pier look around if you see people catching on one certain colour go that but if everyone is already using that colour go something weird like orange.
always cast in shade if your not catching any, i find if they aren't sitting out under the sun they'll go to shade.
if its a cloudy day try shallow.
surface cod 2.jpg
tips for cod
cast close to structure (logs, rocks, trees, reeds and shade pockets)
choose the right lure for the time of day
have 2 rods rigged up
bait fish even know it may be boring bait fish
Cheers Matari

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed May 01, 2019 7:41 am

matari wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:17 am
I would think im good at squid fishing only because of my father

fast around 5 times and then make it two times at night
something weird like orange.
i find if they aren't sitting out under the sun they'll go to shade.

Cheers Matari
You do seem to be very good at Squid fishing Mr Matari

I never knew about the shade thing or the different jig/Jag flicks for day and night.

Thanks

Cheers, Bugatti
Who also thinks orange is a weird colour

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Post by matari » Wed May 01, 2019 8:08 am

dad taught me everything! he taught me and then i tweaked my ways a bit, i just do different flicks because i cant see the jig at night. i've had heaps of squid come out of shade patches! Cheers Matari

piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Post by piscateur » Wed May 01, 2019 9:58 am

This thread is soo depressing, cna't even think of one thing I'm good at! Thanks very much OP

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Wed May 01, 2019 10:07 am

piscateur wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:58 am
This thread is soo depressing, cna't even think of one thing I'm good at! Thanks very much OP
At some point we're all not very good at anything.

Return to “General”