What are you good at, average and not very good? With tips and tricks

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

What are you good at, average and not very good? With tips and tricks

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:17 pm

Was reading Bugatti's and ChrisD's comments earlier on how bait fishing works well for them, some are a keen lure fisherman. I know someone who are crazy about surface lures and prefer to catch no fish rather than on any other methods.

So what are you good at, average and not very good at?

I'll start, I'm confident in catching trout on fly, especially in rivers. My tips, when they're hesitant to eat, try smaller size and natural colour and do accurate casting to the likely spot and best presentation. Nymph under a dry works well. When they're aggressive, use big and colourful. It should work for lure fisherman too. I'm also confident in catching squid, try to vary the size and colour every 20 casts or so. I can confidently say, so far my trout on fly and squid fishing rates are 90% per the trip. Pretty confident in my casting accuracy too.

Average at lure fishing for pinkie, flathead, oz salmon. It's a hit and miss for me. When they're around is great, but there are donut days too, even on the best spot weather tide etc. I'm mostly landbased though. Flathead/pinkie on a boat/kayak seems easier.

Not so good at bream fishing on lures (much easier on bait). Also just recently back to chasing natives, so my murray cod and yellowbelly fishing don't have e good record. Not yet that is... One day I will crack the code!

So what are yours?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Re: What are you good at, average and not very good? With tips and tricks

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:57 pm

Oooooow, Self-evaluation , , , , let's see how I go.

I am decent (not great) at general bait fishing. I am more confident with some species than others. I've had good success with Gar/Tommies, Blue Swimmer & Sand Crabs (the chemist gave me a lotion to get rid of the others), Squid (keep it basic and you shall do well, jigs as close to the bottom & drift if in a boat), Snapper (over-rated scavengers of the sea, t's more about the spot rather than the technique).

I used to be like a Huckleberry Finn in my youth. Found a fair few Bream spots, Mullet, Yellow-fin Whiting.

My best ability is that I start off with the basics and build from that. I learn easily, find and research, talk things over with others, observe well and adapt what I'm doing. I have a bit (only a bit) of nous and work things out from there.

As an example:
* When fish are finicky , , , , bury your baited hook in berley and in the cloud, your baited hook should have a chance.
* If Bait-pumping. Keep some of the siftings as berley. A handful through in to the target area activates the fish , , , , well unless "Fish Game of Throwns" is playing at the Reef Cinema.

Contrary to Seb's statement , , , , I am excellent at chucking Soft Plastics & Lures , , , , back into the Tacklebox, after a few swear words that is. SA isn't big on Lures & Soft Plastics like Vic.

Oh , , , , really great at not keeping my mouth shut.

Cheers, Bug

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:17 pm
Was reading Bugatti's and ChrisD's comments earlier on how bait fishing works well for them, some are a keen lure fisherman. I know someone who are crazy about surface lures and prefer to catch no fish rather than on any other methods.

I'll start, I'm confident in catching trout on fly, especially in rivers. My tips, when they're hesitant to eat, try smaller size and natural colour and do accurate casting to the likely spot and best presentation. Nymph under a dry works well. When they're aggressive, use big and colourful. It should work for lure fisherman too. I'm also confident in catching squid, try to vary the size and colour every 20 casts or so. I can confidently say, so far my trout on fly and squid fishing rates are 90% per the trip. Pretty confident in my casting accuracy too.

Average at lure fishing for pinkie, flathead, oz salmon. It's a hit and miss for me. When they're around is great, but there are donut days too, even on the best spot weather tide etc. I'm mostly landbased though. Flathead/pinkie on a boat/kayak seems easier.

Not so good at bream fishing on lures (much easier on bait). Also just recently back to chasing natives, so my murray cod and yellowbelly fishing don't have e good record. Not yet that is... One day I will crack the code!

So what are yours?
Sebby

I would say that you have the best ability and qualities any Fisherman would ever hope for , , , , intelligent in the Piscatorial Domain, always growing as an Angler AND always up to having a go and getting out there.

Those Gonna, Wanna, Canna, Gimme attitudes normally reside on a couch and/or at a Front Bar far away from where the fish are , , , , only if you discount the "Fish of the Day" special and the for-ever popular Pub Classic , , , , Seafood Basket.

Cheers, Bill

wem21
Has liked: 42 times

Post by wem21 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:21 pm

I'm confident at catching toadies on peeled prawns lol

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:37 pm

wem21 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:21 pm
I'm confident at catching toadies on peeled prawns lol

My Daughter has caught all a sundrie, even an 8 kg Snapper when she was young. She is 17 now and still loves catching Toadies , , , , the simple pleasures.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:08 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:04 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:17 pm

So what are yours?
Sebby

I would say that you have the best ability and qualities any Fisherman would ever hope for , , , , intelligent in the Piscatorial Domain, always growing as an Angler AND always up to having a go and getting out there.

Those Gonna, Wanna, Canna, Gimme attitudes normally reside on a couch and/or at a Front Bar far away from where the fish are , , , , only if you discount the "Fish of the Day" special and the for-ever popular Pub Classic , , , , Seafood Basket.

Cheers, Bill
Thanks Bugatti. I think I'm basically always curious about a lot of things and the challenge to crack the code which definitely apply to fishing. Somewhat we all have that, trying, trials and errors, til we get successful fishing.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:43 am

I'm great at tangles .......
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:12 am

Hmm i'm probably a great fisherman a bad Catcher lol
I use bait 90% of the time

Just after table fish mainly

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:36 am

Good at using bait and targeting different species with different baits.
Not too bad with lures/plastics. Must say I really enjoy this method over bait fishing.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:03 am

im best at baits have caught 2 things on lure in queensland but im not very good with lures

Return to “General”