"Big Redfin" challenge

Trout, Redfin, Salmonoids, Carp etc
Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

"Big Redfin" challenge

Post by Redhunter » Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm

G'day folks,
To some, this time of year is re-knowned for chasing trophy-sized redfin. I'm referring to the big ol' girls that push over that magical 50cm/2kg mark. Some waterways can produce this quality, others cannot - for various reasons such as over-population, lack of food, bad genetics, etc...

Is there anyone here who has taken on the "big reddie" challenge?? Do you have a specific waterway you are hitting, along with using a specific method that you feel will produce the goods? Do you feel that bait or lures are the key? If so, what and why?

Personally I've found that along with most species, when a school of bigger fish is located, the biggest of the reds will sit back from the main school. Whether you're working a big placcy, or a small spinnerbait, or a jackal for example, I find it's best to throw a long cast, along with an extremely slow retrieve. The more "hang time" in the "zone", the better. Yabbies are my primo bait for bigger fish. Worms and minnows work very well, but tend to get mauled by the smaller fish.

Any feedback?

Cheers,
Redhunter

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: "Big Redfin" challenge

Post by 4liters » Wed May 01, 2019 7:52 pm

I dunno much about them but I pulled a 47cm fish out of the local last saturday. Funnily enough I'd hooked a bit of weed and was ripping the lure back to get the weed off and re-cast when the fish smashed it.

2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu May 02, 2019 9:08 am

Once upon a time the majority of my fishing was targeting redfin in local channels. Of course the goal was to get a bigger fish although I never had a set target...a '50' would be good. As it stands now my PB is around the 44 cm mark....my PW (personel worst) would be around 5!

All of my fishing was done on all sorts of lures. Larger lures would get a run....but of course you would still get decent fish on smaller lures. One of my fav lures is the old Flatfish...works brilliantly!!!!

A few years ago my 'reddie' channels were overrun with cod....I am not complaining! I still chase redfin in one system but I lack the agility to get to 'hard to reach places' so this makes it hard.

RH....have you ever caught a small redfin and sent it back out on a hook? (legal in Vic....don't try it in other states kiddies ) I have tried it but with no luck. On saying that, when I have tried it, the reddies have been slow and not really hitting anything.
Cheers
Team Bender
Happy to see some posts worth reading today!

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 pm

That's a beauty, 4liters

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 02, 2019 1:10 pm

Texas wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 pm
That's a beauty, 4liters
X2!!! :a_goodjob:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu May 02, 2019 4:14 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:52 pm
I dunno much about them but I pulled a 47cm fish out of the local last saturday. Funnily enough I'd hooked a bit of weed and was ripping the lure back to get the weed off and re-cast when the fish smashed it.

Thats a Magnificent Bream, well done :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu May 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm
G'day folks,
To some, this time of year is re-knowned for chasing trophy-sized redfin.

Cheers,
Redhunter
April Fool wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:08 am

Once upon a time the majority of my fishing was targeting redfin in local channels

A few years ago my 'reddie' channels were overrun with cod....I am not complaining! I still chase redfin in one system

Team Bender

I'm by far not a freshwater fisho , , , , other than my imaginary trout escapades where I am the Runner up - Ulverstone Angling Club Champion. But my question is, why are these Redfin such a very sort after fish?

I do understand and appreciate wild caught Trout in streams and rivers , , , , has that romance about it.
Also with Cod, I can appreciate the Golly Green Giant of a Native Aussie Legend.

But what makes chasing the Reddies so appealing ????

Cheers, Bugatti

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu May 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:00 pm
Redhunter wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm
G'day folks,
To some, this time of year is re-knowned for chasing trophy-sized redfin.

Cheers,
Redhunter
April Fool wrote:

Once upon a time the majority of my fishing was targeting redfin in local channels

A few years ago my 'reddie' channels were overrun with cod....I am not complaining! I still chase redfin in one system

Team Bender

I'm by far not a freshwater fisho , , , , other than my imaginary trout escapades where I am the Runner up - Ulverstone Angling Club Champion. But my question is, why are these Redfin such a very sort after fish?

I do understand and appreciate wild caught Trout in streams and rivers , , , , has that romance about it.
Also with Cod, I can appreciate the Golly Green Giant of a Native Aussie Legend.

But what makes chasing the Reddies so appealing ????

Cheers, Bugatti
Good eating fish (although I don't eat many) hard hitting and good fun on lures, good fighting fish. All that and the fact they are reasonably easy to find in the local channels, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Thu May 02, 2019 5:25 pm

Redfin are good eating! So if you want a feed...better eating an introduced species. On saying that, I rarely eat them. Trout are also introduced so feel free to eat them as well. For some people, redfin may be the most abundant fish in their area or their only other option is carp. I like many others would have grown up catching them...so the interest continues!
Cheers
Team Bender
Racist when it comes to introduced fish!

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu May 02, 2019 7:08 pm

April Fool wrote:
Once upon a time the majority of my fishing was targeting redfin in local channels. Of course the goal was to get a bigger fish although I never had a set target...a '50' would be good. As it stands now my PB is around the 44 cm mark....my PW (personel worst) would be around 5!

All of my fishing was done on all sorts of lures. Larger lures would get a run....but of course you would still get decent fish on smaller lures. One of my fav lures is the old Flatfish...works brilliantly!!!!

A few years ago my 'reddie' channels were overrun with cod....I am not complaining! I still chase redfin in one system but I lack the agility to get to 'hard to reach places' so this makes it hard.

RH....have you ever caught a small redfin and sent it back out on a hook? (legal in Vic....don't try it in other states kiddies ) I have tried it but with no luck. On saying that, when I have tried it, the reddies have been slow and not really hitting anything.
Cheers
Team Bender
I think many kids out there (big and small) can relate to a reddie being one of the first fish they ever caught. They are generally a very aggressive fish and quite abundant, making them easily accessible and easy to catch. They're good fun on light tackle and great on the plate. I, along with many would go as far as to say that they are the best freshwater fish to eat. They are a colourful fish and look good on the wall too.

On a couple of occasions I've hooked a small reddy, that had been upgraded before I'd even reeled it in. But admittedly I haven't given them a red hot go as bait. The few times I've tried I haven't done any good. Just unlucky I guess, but I will try again. Reddies love eating anything with a bit of movement in it really. They can become quite competitive at times. Catching two at a time on the same lure is not all that rare. However, like all fish species, catching the biggest ones is never as easy. They are generally wiser and require a little more thought to outwit them.

Return to “Other Species”