Last two trips of the 2018/19 trout season..(short version)

Tasmania Fishing Reports
meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Last two trips of the 2018/19 trout season..(short version)

Post by meppstas » Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm

April 27th The day before season closure..

Had a hunt around on Google Earth to find a new small tannin water to try out to see if there may be a trout or two in one. Did find one that I had found several years ago and forgot all about it. Was a little undecided about going today(27th) due to gale force winds & rain showers, plus the wind chill factor was making the temp feel like 0.01 degrees. I did decided to brave the elements and found it wasn't too bad once I was in the stream as it had quite a lot of wind breaking foliage along both sides of it. Spent just over two hours in the small tannin stream & managed to catch & release nine browns from thirteen hook ups, plus having several light hit & misses. Gold Aglia Mouche Noire did the job before the trout went off the gold, changed to a copper Aglia and that finished off the job on the trout. Wind became stronger and the rain became heavier which put an end to the spin session..Best trout went 525 grams, all trout were released as always. Well worth putting up with the conditions for a couple of hours any way.. Trout season closes at midnight tomorrow night..
IMG_9860 (Medium).JPG
Nice tannin water..
IMG_9866 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown
IMG_9869 (Medium).JPG
Love these small skinny waters..
IMG_9882 (Medium).JPG
Well conditioned wild brown trout..
IMG_9904 (Medium).JPG
Trout number nine & last one for the day..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlBnfu222RI

** April 28th Season closure.. my last trip of the season..

Being the last day of the 2018/19 trout season I tried another small tannin water that I've never fished. Hoping it may be holding a trout or two I was lucky enough to catch & release a few wild brown trout. It wasn't the easiest of waters to fish, plenty of hurdles to get over. Felt like I was in the Grand National Steeple chase several times, not the easiest of areas to fish that's for sure... still it was worth the effort flicking the Mepps copper aglia spinner around for just the eight trout caught. 
Finished the season on 573 trout caught from 75 trips with just three trout being kept. well down on last season when I caught 648 trout in 92 trips with five trout kept. I'm reasonably happy with how my season ended even though it was well down on the previous season, 17 less trips didn't help either due to the body slowing down a little more each season..
IMG_9918 (Medium).JPG
First trout taken here..
IMG_9920 (Medium).JPG
First of eight..
IMG_9929 (Medium).JPG
Solid brown caught here..
IMG_9933 (Medium).JPG
Beautiful tannin water brown..
IMG_9961 (Medium).JPG
Another trout taken here..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_XK3r6YyQ

cheers
Adrian (mepptas)
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Bugatti

Re: Last two trips of the 2018/19 trout season..(short version)

Post by Bugatti » Thu May 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Adrian, you sure know how to bring the game to a new level.

I was stoked to read that you tried new rivers (one being an ol' acquaintance) , , , , just shows, it is never to late to try new things , , , , especially it being a gamble for your last two trips.

meppstas wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Finished the season on 573 trout caught from 75 trips

with just three trout being kept.

cheers
Adrian (mepptas)
An AWESOME Season's tally Adrian, well done.

On the three trout kept, with reading your reports over the years and with the glorious photos you take , , , , I have come to appreciate trout. So much so, that I saw a photo somewhere of some trout landed and kept , , , , a dead trout looks awful.

Now that is only my opinion, they are a fish and I appreciate that fishos do take them for a meal, and rightfully so, it is their choice and I don't begrudge them in any way.

I have a deeper appreciation now of Ernest Hemingway's story "Old man of the Sea", where the old man "Santiago" hooks and fights a large fish for a long time , , , , only to finally release it, as he has formed a bond with the valiant fighting fish , , , , and the duality of , , , , the Old Man of the Sea is now the Big Fish.

Good luck Adrian for the 8th of June

Cheers, Bill

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Nice way to end the season
Always look forward to your reports mate

What you chase In the off season?

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu May 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Pretty impressive post and fish Adrian, well done, cheers davo. :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu May 02, 2019 6:51 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:20 pm
Nice way to end the season
Always look forward to your reports mate

What you chase In the off season?
Thanks guys,

Off season I do nothing just get the body ready for the next one..
I have a six to eight weekly course of injections in the lower back, hips & shoulders ahead of me in a week or two..
This 73 year old body isn't what it used to be I'm sorry to say, each season it gets a little harder fishing some of the larger rocky rivers.
Good thing is I can still get in those rivers and chase trout.... It's the fast water runs ( as per photo) that take the toll on my body..
I can still last around 3 to 4 hours in them, may be less next season, I take trip by trip now days.. :thumbsup:
IMG_9179 (Medium).JPG
Fast water runs like this are getting harder each year..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Top report and pics as always Adrian!
Those trout look like they are in great condition and that 525g one is a beauty.
Your final tally for his season might have been down compared to last season but who can say that they have caught 573 trout in a season??? I don’t know of anyone except you :)
Enjoyed the vids as well mate. They are a great new addition to your reports. What do you plan on doing with your time off from trout fishing over the next 3-4 months?
Cheers :thumbsup:

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu May 02, 2019 8:20 pm

meppstas wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm
April 27th The day before season closure..

Had a hunt around on Google Earth to find a new small tannin water to try out to see if there may be a trout or two in one. Did find one that I had found several years ago and forgot all about it. Was a little undecided about going today(27th) due to gale force winds & rain showers, plus the wind chill factor was making the temp feel like 0.01 degrees. I did decided to brave the elements and found it wasn't too bad once I was in the stream as it had quite a lot of wind breaking foliage along both sides of it. Spent just over two hours in the small tannin stream & managed to catch & release nine browns from thirteen hook ups, plus having several light hit & misses. Gold Aglia Mouche Noire did the job before the trout went off the gold, changed to a copper Aglia and that finished off the job on the trout. Wind became stronger and the rain became heavier which put an end to the spin session..Best trout went 525 grams, all trout were released as always. Well worth putting up with the conditions for a couple of hours any way.. Trout season closes at midnight tomorrow night..
IMG_9860 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9866 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9869 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9882 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9904 (Medium).JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlBnfu222RI

** April 28th Season closure.. my last trip of the season..

Being the last day of the 2018/19 trout season I tried another small tannin water that I've never fished. Hoping it may be holding a trout or two I was lucky enough to catch & release a few wild brown trout. It wasn't the easiest of waters to fish, plenty of hurdles to get over. Felt like I was in the Grand National Steeple chase several times, not the easiest of areas to fish that's for sure... still it was worth the effort flicking the Mepps copper aglia spinner around for just the eight trout caught. 
Finished the season on 573 trout caught from 75 trips with just three trout being kept. well down on last season when I caught 648 trout in 92 trips with five trout kept. I'm reasonably happy with how my season ended even though it was well down on the previous season, 17 less trips didn't help either due to the body slowing down a little more each season..
IMG_9918 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9920 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9929 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9933 (Medium).JPG
IMG_9961 (Medium).JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_XK3r6YyQ

cheers
Adrian (mepptas)
Well done Adrian, sounds like another great adventure. Those trouts look like in great condition, beautiful colours.
Do you find this season is harder than previous seasons? Harder by the season? Or perhaps easier?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

meppstas

Post by meppstas » Thu May 02, 2019 11:27 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 pm
Top report and pics as always Adrian!
Those trout look like they are in great condition and that 525g one is a beauty.
Your final tally for his season might have been down compared to last season but who can say that they have caught 573 trout in a season??? I don’t know of anyone except you :)
Enjoyed the vids as well mate. They are a great new addition to your reports. What do you plan on doing with your time off from trout fishing over the next 3-4 months?
Cheers :thumbsup:
Thanks Lx & Seb,
Off season I do nothing just get the body ready for the next one..
I have a six to eight weekly course of injections in the lower back, hips & shoulders ahead of me in a week or two..
This 73 year old body isn't what it used to be I'm sorry to say, each season it gets a little harder fishing some of the larger rocky rivers.
Good thing is I can still get in those rivers and chase trout....

Seb, I did find the season was a little tougher than the past couple but not by a real lot.. though I did have 17 less trips this season too.
Had I gone on a few more trips perhaps I would have cracked my season target of 600 trout.. maybe next season.. ;-)

cheers
Adrian

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Fri May 03, 2019 2:46 pm

Adrian only normally keeps trout that, would still die if released
E.g. deep hooked

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 03, 2019 4:29 pm

Texas wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:46 pm
Adrian only normally keeps trout that, would still die if released
E.g. deep hooked
That's right Tex, well done on the reading & comprehension, most read and don't comprehend , , , , which means they miss a lot. Not only does Adrian only keep the trout that have no chance of survival , , , , Adrian doesn't even keep them for himself, he gives them to an old lady down the road.

I have never fished for trout, but with the way Adrian relays in his reports the utmost respect that he has for the trout, that has rubbed of on me. But even his high-regard and concern for the countryside, that shows through as well , , , , curse you Blackberry bushes , , , , well not the bushes themselves but more so that the Councils have allowed them to over-run the countryside.

Cheers, The Bug
lucky bugs are good for trout :-D
otherwise out would come the Mortein

Return to “Tasmania”