Top water lure bibs - where to buy

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Top water lure bibs - where to buy

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon May 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Hi all - This winter, wanting to try making a topwater timber snake lure for cod. Just seeing viability of bothering to attempt if i can get a front for it. Have found diving bibs easily online but no topwater fronts. Dont know if im searching with wrong keywords to find them if they are there...?

Anybody know where i could buy some pre-made "bibs" for a topwater lure? Generally looking for a walker/paddler type front found on lures such as jitterbug, Kingfisher mantis, cod wallaper etc. At this stage not super specific on shape and action.

Failing that, a 3d printer design to download?

Failing that - diy suggestions for someone with no tools other than a sander and drill....?

Cheers, Chris

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Top water lure bibs - where to buy

Post by davek » Mon May 06, 2019 2:19 pm

It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 06, 2019 2:23 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:59 pm
Hi all - This winter, wanting to try making a topwater timber snake lure for cod. Just seeing viability of bothering to attempt if i can get a front for it. Have found diving bibs easily online but no topwater fronts. Dont know if im searching with wrong keywords to find them if they are there...?

Anybody know where i could buy some pre-made "bibs" for a topwater lure? Generally looking for a walker/paddler type front found on lures such as jitterbug, Kingfisher mantis, cod wallaper etc. At this stage not super specific on shape and action.

Failing that, a 3d printer design to download?

Failing that - diy suggestions for someone with no tools other than a sander and drill....?

Cheers, Chris
Jitterbug has like a metal sheet thing and slightly bent/concave. Maybe try that? get some metal sheet 1mm or 1.5mm, cut and hammer it on a sorta round something object :rofl: now i'm talking gibberish.

Did a quick google search and this video is showing a surface bib made of plastic bottle : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsS5xKt_bsY
Also found this kingston lures website : https://kingstonlures.com.au/products/p ... ibs-sheets
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 06, 2019 2:44 pm

Surface snakes, tend not to have that shape bib on them and quite often they are alloy, so you can tune the lure slightly if needed. Have a look at the Mudeye snake for examples.

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon May 06, 2019 5:45 pm

Thanks dave + seb for Kingston lures - was on there but missed it obviously. Hmm, now it's feasible if i can be bothered!

Yeah brett you are 90% right with a few exceptions seen from a quick google image search. Any idea why the majority of designers go for the sharply angled bib vs. a walker face for this style topwater lure? No doubt its tried and tested, but would a walker face do anything overly crazy or detrimental to the action of 4 jointed parts totalling 20cm ish behind it?

https://www.motackle.com.au/taylor-made ... 110mm.html

Ive got one of these and was gonna use it as the design basis for a 4-part jointed lure, in my half-assed initial concept stage of thinking.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon May 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Not 100% sure, but the surface bibs give the lure action, which is probably more than what a snake has if it’s naturally swimming across the top. The small bib will give it a bit of presence to attract the fish, but won’t overstate the actual action of the lure. My thoughts anyway.

matari
Has liked: 5 times

Post by matari » Mon May 06, 2019 6:06 pm

I think the snakes are made to represent something like a lizard, snake. then the paddler bib are created to be like something paddling along like bats birds. i've got a 3 piece jointed paddler, and i think something above the 2 piece should have a wakebait bib has in my opinion the paddlers are made to represent injured birds or something like that e.g need some clack. and the wakebaits are quiet swimming snakes (some of them clack)
thanks for reading, i dont know much but this is what i would think, and would like in a lure.
Cheers Matari :thumbsup:

happyfriggincamper

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon May 06, 2019 6:24 pm

Thanks guys - i had similar thoughts.

Alright - bibs found. Easy part over - now to procrastinate on the doing.

jedgpz

Post by jedgpz » Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pm

I make my own from Polycarbonate.

Easy to cut and bend.

for my snake type lures I use diving bibs in a downward position.

As said above kingston lures is a good place to start if you want pre cut ones.

for the screw eyes I bend my own as well. I use either gal wire or Ssteel and use my drill in reverse and wind them on a nail in a vice.

Look forward to seeing your lures.
Cheers
Jed

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 07, 2019 11:35 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:24 pm
Thanks guys - i had similar thoughts.

Alright - bibs found. Easy part over - now to procrastinate on the doing.

jedgpz wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pm
I make my own from Polycarbonate.

Look forward to seeing your lures.

Cheers
Jed

Yeah me too, add me to the list of avid makers looking forward to seeing your lures. I admire anyone who makes their own (anything) or at least giving it a go.

Cheers, Bugatti

Return to “Soft Plastics & Lures”