Surface Plops.

If it doesn't fit in a specific saltwater section, post it here
rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Surface Plops.

Post by rb85 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 pm

After a doughnut session on the yak yesterday (juvenile salmon don't count) my plans for today initially I was going to take the boat for a run targeting Gummy Sharks then Squid around lunchtime yesterdays result changed those plans.

Waking up nice and early after breakfast and a quick coffee I was on the road. Heater cranked driving in darkness I dropped in to Maccas order coffee for the trip, utilise their clean facilities to drop a nugget then pick up my coffee (don't eat their **** food) and i'm on the road again.
Arriving at the waterway on first light I was full of caffeine and keen as mustard.

The water was nice and calm with a slight fog on the surface quickly prepped and on the water. The first hour looked good for surface fishing casting lures at likely spots while travelling towards the area I wanted to fish for no action. Whenever im moving I always troll a slow diving minnow along the edge about an hour into the session the trolling rod goes off after a short fight I land a small EP around 30 cm.

By now the sun was out so much for overcast all day so I swapped the surface lure for another shallow diving lure approach a snag first cast bang on after a hard fight I land a nice EP estimated to be high 30's after a few more fish on divers the sky suddenly gets dark and the cloud cover arrives with the cover arriving so does the boils.

Switch lures again to a surface lure the OSP overreal couple of casts and plop fight and another nice EP few more surface plops landing some nice fish also losing a chunky Perch until the sun comes out. Caught plenty more on minnows and soft vibes before leaving them biting as I had things to do later in the day. Was another fun outing can't call them Boofs as the surface strike wouldn't compare to the cod even though the EP's are just as aggressive.
Last edited by rb85 on Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Re: Surface Plops.

Post by Tim399 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:58 pm

rb85 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 pm
After a doughnut session on the yak yesterday (juvenile salmon don't count) my plans for today initially I was going to take the boat for a run targeting Gummy Sharks then Squid around lunchtime yesterdays result changed those plans.

Waking up nice and early after breakfast and a quick coffee I was on the road. Heater cranked driving in darkness I dropped in to Maccas order coffee for the trip, utilise their clean facilities to drop a nugget then pick up my coffee don't (don't eat their **** food) and i'm on the road again.
Arriving at the waterway on first light I was full of caffeine and keen as mustard.

The water was nice and calm with a slight fog on the surface quickly prepped and on the water. The first hour looked good for surface fishing casting lures at likely spots while travelling towards the area I wanted to fish for no action. Whenever im moving I always troll a slow diving minnow along the edge about an hour into the session the trolling rod goes off after a short fight I land a small EP around 30 cm.

By now the sun was out so much for overcast all day so I swapped the surface lure for another shallow diving lure approach a snag first cast bang on after a hard fight I land a nice EP estimated to be high 30's after a few more fish on divers the sky suddenly gets dark and the cloud cover arrives with the cover arriving so does the boils.

Switch lures again to a surface lure the OSP overreal couple of casts and plop fight and another nice EP few more surface plops landing some nice fish also losing a chunky Perch until the sun comes out. Caught plenty more on minnows and soft vibes before leaving them biting as I had things to do later in the day. Was another fun outing can't call them Boofs as the surface strike wouldn't compare to the cod even though the EP's are just as aggressive.
I thought your title was named after your rapid weight loss at McDonald’s in the second paragraph! Those still mornings with fog on glassed water is like magic when the kayak is silently gliding along, which is why I really enjoy early morning fishing late autumn and winter. It sounds like you made up for the quiet day beforehand :thumbsup:

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Mon May 06, 2019 8:39 pm

good job

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 06, 2019 8:51 pm

Lovely report mate.
Esky morning starts in autumn are cool(pun intended)
Post some pics next time please. Yes most of us know what a salmon or an EP looks like. But it makes the report more fun.
Cheers

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:19 am

purple5ive wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:51 pm
Lovely report mate.
Esky morning starts in autumn are cool(pun intended)
Post some pics next time please. Yes most of us know what a salmon or an EP looks like. But it makes the report more fun.
Cheers
Cheers mate was a fun morning. Will get my act together part of the reason I hadn’t was the photos I took were pretty poor quality fish on deck or very quick I phone selfie before release.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:21 am

Tim399 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:58 pm
rb85 wrote:

Waking up nice and early after breakfast and a quick coffee I was on the road. Heater cranked driving in darkness I dropped in to Maccas order coffee for the trip, utilise their clean facilities to drop a nugget then pick up my coffee don't (don't eat their **** food) and i'm on the road again.

I thought your title was named after your rapid weight loss at McDonald’s in the second paragraph! Those still mornings with fog on glassed water is like magic when the kayak is silently gliding along, which is why I really enjoy early morning fishing late autumn and winter. It sounds like you made up for the quiet day beforehand :thumbsup:
Your not wrong those calm glasses out mornings are magic.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue May 07, 2019 11:59 pm

Great day out there Mr rb, nice to hear.

As far as the before and after the McDonalds pit-stop, I prefer to comment via pictures.

BEFORE

McUnHappy.PNG

AFTER

McHappy.PNG

It's amazing how much better you feel after having a , , , , coffee ;-)

Great to hear that you got onto the fish too.

purple5ive wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:51 pm

Post some pics next time please.

Cheers

Now, rb , , , , I do enjoy a detailed descriptive report , , , , and if you do provide photos, that would be great too , , , , BUT , , , , scenery shots are great, fish are good, you can even take a photo of the coffee , , , , but that would be as revealing as I would like the photos to be, any nugget photos should be limited to the example below :-D

McNuggets.PNG

Cheers, BugNuggetti

rb85

Post by rb85 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:01 am

:rofl: Good on you Bug don’t worry there will be no nugget pics.

But I’ll try and get some decent photos next trip the problem I have is it’s hard with a iPhone in a kayak.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed May 08, 2019 7:22 am

rb85 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:01 am
:rofl: Good on you Bug don’t worry there will be no nugget pics.

But I’ll try and get some decent photos next trip the problem I have is it’s hard with a iPhone in a kayak.
I don't blame you rb, I'd be plopping myself taking photos on a yak with a phone. I'd be too worried that the phone would go , , , , plop , , , , into the water

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed May 08, 2019 7:30 am

rb85 wrote:
Boofs as the surface strike wouldn't compare to the cod even though the EP's are just as aggressive.
Don't put them down, bass and EPs on surface lures are great fun! Sometimes the hits are explosive. Most of the big cod I've caught off the top have been relatively quiet takes - the smaller ones give reliable explosive takes. And bass and EP really sizzle on the end of a light line.

All forms of surface fishing are fun with the ultimate being targeting a fish you can see. Thats why dry fly fishing for trout has such a big following.

It is hard to get motivated to get going on a cool morning but it is often the best time for surface fishing in heavily fished areas. The fish have had the night to get over being spooked by boats etc.

Well done, but some pics would be great even crappy ones! Just get a cheap pocket camera, I never carry my phone when I am out on the riverbank.

With all the waters near Melbourne being stocked with EP there are some exciting times coming up for surface fishing for you city folk.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “General Salt Water Fishing”