What's in your too hard basket?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

What's in your too hard basket?

Post by Sebb » Mon May 20, 2019 9:50 am

Sounds like few people had a nice fishing weekend. Nice weather.
Lets talk about the tough ones. What's in your too hard basket?

Mine is definitely Docklands breams on lure. Multi attempts and the donut outweighs the success by far. :down:
Murray cod on surface is in progress, haven't done much so not really in the too hard basket yet. :fish22: :water:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: What's in your too hard basket?

Post by frozenpod » Mon May 20, 2019 11:24 am

Thresher shark
Big Blue Marlin

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Mon May 20, 2019 11:32 am

Getting out of bed on single degree mornings

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon May 20, 2019 11:56 am

Mastering garfish with float set up....
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

TheNix
Has liked: 33 times

Post by TheNix » Mon May 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Camping! I did a lot of camping when I was fishing as a teenager and twenties but now in my mid-fifties, I could not think of anything worse.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Mon May 20, 2019 6:18 pm

bowl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:56 am
bowl use a waggler float shotted right for the condition,s example on a calm day just the tip sitting above the water on a rough day you would use less splitshot so tip of float sit,s higher in the water.Burley is the key i burley up hard at the start to get them in and then cut right back just enough to keep them intersted if nothing in say 40 minutes move 20 odd meters do the same till you find them.Hook,s size 10 to 14 flyfishing hook,s i use a double rig where i turn a 3way swivel the wrong way and attach some rubber tube to each side of the swivel the run my leader threw it i use good quality fluro leader some people say it does,nt matter about the fluro but over the last 4yrs the results stand for them self yep i love float fishing for gar,s.As for bait i now use maggots try putting 1 maggot on one hook 3 on the other and see what they prefer .I use kamasan float stopper so i can adjust the lenght of leader till i find what level in the water there feeding at during a session when there on you might still have to adjust no bloody running float fixed float .For maggots give them a second or two once you float goes under with silverfish strike hard watch your float some days it will just go under other day,s it will slowly move sideway or lift upward,s that,s the beauty of using the waggler float you can see everything that,s happening

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Mon May 20, 2019 6:55 pm

For me, it's just trying to find time when I don't have commitments AND when I can move things around, trying to ensue that the weather is favourable is another hurdle , , , , to go with the Boat or even Land-based.

dazz999 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:18 pm
bowl wrote:
bowl use a waggler float shotted right for the condition,s example on a calm day just the tip sitting above the water on a rough day you would use less splitshot so tip of float sit,s higher in the water.Burley is the key i burley up hard at the start to get them in and then cut right back just enough to keep them intersted if nothing in say 40 minutes move 20 odd meters do the same till you find them.Hook,s size 10 to 14 flyfishing hook,s i use a double rig where i turn a 3way swivel the wrong way and attach some rubber tube to each side of the swivel the run my leader threw it i use good quality fluro leader some people say it does,nt matter about the fluro but over the last 4yrs the results stand for them self yep i love float fishing for gar,s.As for bait i now use maggots try putting 1 maggot on one hook 3 on the other and see what they prefer .I use kamasan float stopper so i can adjust the lenght of leader till i find what level in the water there feeding at during a session when there on you might still have to adjust no bloody running float fixed float .For maggots give them a second or two once you float goes under with silverfish strike hard watch your float some days it will just go under other day,s it will slowly move sideway or lift upward,s that,s the beauty of using the waggler float you can see everything that,s happening
dazz, that is exactly what my Gar Guru says as well , , , , my Brother in-law. He can catch Gar like a Gar Whisperer.

The berley , , , , heavy then very light is a big key. AND I agree, watching the float and knowing any change to how it floats/moves is the trick too.

Only addition I would make to dazz's perfection is (as I have been shown and use and know it works) is super sharp hooks, preferably long-shank size 8-12 , , , , and a soft tipped rod.

Cheers, an Aspiring Gar Apprentice, Bugatti

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 pm

Cheers dazz .
Catch most my gars with dough on double paternosta...

I try some of your reccomendations ..ta
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:41 pm

bowl wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 pm
Cheers dazz .
Catch most my gars with dough on double paternosta...

I try some of your reccomendations ..ta
no dough for mullet

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:55 pm
For me, it's just trying to find time when I don't have commitments AND when I can move things around, trying to ensue that the weather is favourable is another hurdle , , , , to go with the Boat or even Land-based.

dazz999 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:18 pm
bowl wrote:
dazz, that is exactly what my Gar Guru says as well , , , , my Brother in-law. He can catch Gar like a Gar Whisperer.

The berley , , , , heavy then very light is a big key. AND I agree, watching the float and knowing any change to how it floats/moves is the trick too.

Only addition I would make to dazz's perfection is (as I have been shown and use and know it works) is super sharp hooks, preferably long-shank size 8-12 , , , , and a soft tipped rod.

Cheers, an Aspiring Gar Apprentice, Bugatti
yeah nar hook,s my fav are kamasan b800 classic trout extra long chemically sharpened needle point high carbon any time i can find these i buy every one one the rack and drop you hook size down .Try 14,s you might be surprised ? as for rod i use a 10ft6 not a soft tip as soon as the float goes down bang strike with silverfish give it a second or 2 when using maggot,s the longer rod help.s pick up the slack line alot quicker

Return to “General”