Fishing Trip Preparation Hints

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Bugatti

Fishing Trip Preparation Hints

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:40 am

Just a few tips that I use when on a Fishing trip away somewhere for a few days or a week or two. This trip in July to Black Point is a few Dad's and our kids and some of their friends.

My household, we keep an eye out for specials. Stocking up for a trip away is no different.

BP 2.PNG
BP 2.PNG (212.61 KiB) Viewed 3436 times

I store/carry a fair bit in Boxes. Easy to put in the car or boat. AND minimal unpacking at the destination as it all stays in the boxes and we just take out as we need. These Apple Boxes are ideal and once they are emptied, either the recycle bin or the campfire. In Summer, I use those foam Broccoli Boxes (and the empties don't find their way to the fire), these foam boxes are ideal for keeping the summer heat away from consumables, like bread etc.

BP 3.PNG
BP 3.PNG (180.97 KiB) Viewed 3436 times

I have acquired some dis-used Balfours/Bread crates, by asking the Deli/Shop owner to keep aside the broken ones. These I have cut the grate part out, to make shelves for use in the eskies, to help keep ice and food apart. Or to put on top of the odd shaped food, to have a level flat surface for little jars and stuff.

BP 4.PNG
BP 4.PNG (166.23 KiB) Viewed 3436 times

BP 5.PNG

I also (for any fishing occasion, even locally) use little cardboard trays to place bait in, like prawns, pilchard, cockle/pipi, etc. These cardboard trays keep the bait dry and stops them making a drippy mess everywhere as the cardboard soaks up any liquid. Also if the kids or I just want a quick cast by the beach, then a bit of every bait in the cardboard tray and easy to carry and easy to throw in the bin at the end, with little clean up. These trays are just the little boxes/trays on the shelves of supermarkets that have the gravy tins, spice jars, chocolates etc etc.

BP 1.PNG
BP 1.PNG (178.08 KiB) Viewed 3436 times

I stoke pile unused wood from jobs and bag it up, so there is no last minute dash for firewood.

BP 6.PNG
BP 6.PNG (234.9 KiB) Viewed 3436 times

BP 7.PNG

These are just a few of the things I do in preparation for and going on a fishing trip :)

Cheers, Bugz

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Re: Fishing Trip Preparation Hints

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:55 am

Interesting topic and some good ideas.

Years ago before wife and kids, I had all my gear in tubs, so all I needed to do was grab the tubs put them in the car and go. I would spend weeks living in a tent very comfortably.

These days the fishing gear is kind of sorted into species I wish to chase. ie Snapper, Squid, Tuna, Kingfish, Salmon. Not quite as well organised as I use to be.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:12 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:55 am

Years ago before wife and kids, I had all my gear in tubs, so all I needed to do was grab the tubs put them in the car and go.

Not quite as well organised as I use to be.
I know that feeling too well Wolly.

Being a single bloke was easy , , , , our Boat & Fishing gear (and related stuff) was it , , , , then throw an esky of meat and a token lettuce , , , , and we were away.

Now, being responsible for the well being of other humans, all their bedding, showering, health, clothing etc etc and all their paraphernalia. Oh and feeding the very fussy caterpillars that they are, is hard. And activities , , , , shheesssh

My Ex has always been a well organised person, I thought it was over the top that she would write lists for everything , , , , I now write lists for some things after having met her AND the busy lifestyles being a family entails.

Lists for Boat, Fishing, Bedding/Clothing, Food/Kitchen?household stuff and one for Kids. I mean extension cords and power-boards were never a thing I would take BUT now they are very important with all the "Devices" we have and need charging

Cheers, still forget stuff at home, Bugatti

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:47 am

HINT: if using the foam (polystyrene?) boxes have a towel or space inbetween them. That squeaking Sound they make when rubbing against each other on a long trip is enough to drive a man to insanity!

Good tips there bug :thumbsup:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:43 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:47 am
HINT: if using the foam (polystyrene?) boxes have a towel or space inbetween them. That squeaking Sound they make when rubbing against each other on a long trip is enough to drive a man to insanity!

I found that out the hard way Tim.

Where were you, I needed that advice for the "Infamous Trip of 2008". That story is in the 2009 edition of "Twitchy Eye" :o_0: . My Psychiatrist made a lot of money off of me because of that trip lol.

Those noise Polystyrene Boxes now get transported in the Boat , , , , those that are compelled to carry them in their Car , , , , take Tim's advice :)

Cheers, Bugged

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:43 pm
Tim399 wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:47 am

I found that out the hard way Tim.

Where were you, I needed that advice for the "Infamous Trip of 2008". That story is in the 2009 edition of "Twitchy Eye" :o_0: . My Psychiatrist made a lot of money off of me because of that trip lol.

Those noise Polystyrene Boxes now get transported in the Boat , , , , those that are compelled to carry them in their Car , , , , take Tim's advice :)

Cheers, Bugged
On school holidays I used to go to work with my dad and when he would transport aquarium fish in them (keeps the water at the ideal temperature for longer) sometimes the boxes would move and end up touching, squeaking allllllllllll the way to the job causing “Twitchus eyeus” condition.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:22 pm

Bill, I can't believe you've left the Sth Aussie favorite biscuit ( well mine anyway ) out of the box.. ;-)

''Yo-Yo" biscuits, a must for any holiday or fishing/camping trip... Still I do like the variety of biscuits you have there.. :thumbsup:

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Some good idea's there bug
I put pippies, whitebait, mussels, pilchards into small freezer bags & take what I think I'll need
As I don't normally catch fish, I've never run out.
A piece of equipment most trout fishermen (bait) don't carry in summer is a "fairy catcher" from the $2 shop
They're great for catching grasshoppers
Cheers Gra

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Forgot the most important thing
I start a list a week before hand, everything from areoguard to jocks, tent peg hammer to knives & forks
Pills are always 1st on the list. This has saved me many times, to forget a chair seems minor, but, try to live without one
Yes it's an A4 writing pad
Cheers Gra
Should probably do a spreadsheet and just print it out each time

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:08 pm

For those without a fridge and want to go longer without normal ice consider dry ice (bascily c02 in its solid state) just remeber it can and will give you frost bite if handled wrong and if you cant find dry ice theres these https://techniice.com/dry-ice-packs/hea ... packs.html ive talked to my friend from defence who has used them and they love them.

Return to “General”