Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Bugatti

Re: Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

Post by Bugatti » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:59 am

denis barden wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:58 am
Yota-I like this info
https://www.vrfish.com.au/2018/05/01/re ... r-in-2018/
Cheers Denis
"2018 is the best year class of snapper stock in the past 26-years of sampling by the Victoria Fisheries Authority leading to predications of strong catches in 3-4 years time"

Denis this part was very interesting. Seems to go with all the reports of the plague proportions of Micro Pinkies out there. Almost substantiates the VRfish article.

This part of the article would put a smile on your face, with the Whiting in a healthy state too.

"There is also good news for King George whiting which also seen an increase in their stock recruitment with 2018 identified as their third best season on record"

Thins are looking up in Victoria , , , , as long as everything tracks nicely that is.

Cheers, a jealous Bug

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:24 am

cobby wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:33 am
Yota wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:47 pm
cobby wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:07 pm
Yota wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:29 am
So we should bring back netters and encourage long lining as well because it was all a big mistake ?
Seems like they are doing it the correct way in SA then after all ?
Another breeding cycle should fix it all up. Job done.
Now you're twisting **** to suit yourself. I merely highlighted how much b******* the gullible sucked up as gospel from the likes of Vrfish, Future Fish and those with vested interest like Raynor and Kramer that flew directly in the face of VFA recruitment surveys that for nearly a decade pointed to low to average spawn rates. How Snapper stocks made an enormous rebound while commercial fishing of both PPB and WP were in full swing. And what little netting actually does to Snapper stocks, while the little thought about commercial practice that actually takes Snapper is entirely exempt from the recent bans in PPB.

If you seriously think the banning of nets from PPB will make anymore than a pooftenth of difference of Snapper stocks in the bay you've got nothing but air in the cavity that should be filled with a brain
No worries Cobby, lets not get heated or personal.
I’m happy to admit I’m obviously no expert.
The information I read and posted was interesting to me. How it relates to the SA predicament will be interesting.
And I’m very aware that what I see and hear on the box or the net from people or groups can be biased one way or another.

Cheers
Jamie.
Wasn't a personal attack at all so apologies if it came across as such. It gets somewhat annoying the sheep that hold up a ******** as the messiah spruiking gospel all because he lucked into a government paid position when all science is contrary to just about everything he says
It’s refreshing for someone to say something contrary to what the
establishment is trying to shove down the throats of millions of tackle industry customers. Keep it up Cobby

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:41 am

Cobby.. Just to clarify your saying that the banning of commercial fishing in the bay has not and will not improve snapper stocks? This is not a smart ass question either, i haven't looked at the scientific figures but that seems a little unusual?

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:37 am

Cobby is correct. Did nothing to snapper stocks.

This was debated extensively at the time but lies and selfishness won.
Last edited by frozenpod on Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Robbie1950 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:41 am
Cobby.. Just to clarify your saying that the banning of commercial fishing in the bay has not and will not improve snapper stocks? This is not a smart ass question either, i haven't looked at the scientific figures but that seems a little unusual?
To make it simple for all let's say there's 1000 Snapper in existence. Over the season recreational fishers will remove 500. Commercial long liners 250. And commercial nets remove 80. While the remaining fish spawn and create an extra 1000. That's ridiculously simplistic but is roughly the division between captures of each sector. The nets mostly caught Gars, Squid, Whiting, Dusky Morwong, Goatfish, Glassies, Anchovies, Pilchards and more like Yakkas etc. Other fish like Snapper were generally the just legal fish that inhabit the shallow weed lined areas of the bay. And because of the netting method, any undersized fish or unwanted fish trapped could in over 90% of cases be released and swim off for another day.

Again that's as simplistic as it gets. And the other argument Vrfish especially loved to use was the dragging up of weedbeds. That is overwhelmingly caused by...... Weather and Swans. Westernport has had no commercial fishing for over a decade and it is still weed city which only further highlights the lies and manipulation spun

Return to “General”