Coronet bay and Corals/Rhyll Wed23 Oct

Island-boy
Has liked: 14 times

Coronet bay and Corals/Rhyll Wed23 Oct

Post by Island-boy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:09 am

Set out on a mission yesterday with the mindset to do my longest days fishing iv ever done with the idea that if i put in the time sooner or latter id hook a few reds.

So i hit it early launched from Rhyll at about 5:00 only 2 or 3 other trailers in the carpark.

Hit the Corals first but flattys were nibbling my snapper baits, managed to hook two that were sized so kept them for a feed, decided to move on to Coronet bay and when i got there it was like a parking lot, boats everywhere and they didn't stop coming, once the fig cleared there was about 50 boats in clear eyesight and little white dots all over the place further away, so id say in that Newhaven to Rhyll to Corinella triangle alone 100 boats, and on a work day.

After about an hour bang my first Snapper for the season @ 60cm, adrenaline was pumping for half an after, then about half an hour latter another big strike and run, had it on fir maybe 30 seconds but must not have been hooked properly so lost it.

All before 10:00 kept fishing with a bit of a move and then can back boats started thinning out, moved back to the corals area for the afternoon session, wind came up and shifted direction and sun dropped a little and bang, another Snapper at 59cm, then got another Snapper/Pinkie about 35cm.

Also had a whiting rod out but had to put it away as kept hooking up undersized hand sized pinkies (obviously all thrown back), also threw back a underside Gummy and an eagle ray.

So then at about 6:00 decided to call it a day, so 13+ hrs on the water

Things i learnt today, things i already knew but reconfirmed.

-All the action happened early and late in the day, even the midday tide change was dead, between 10:00 and 4:00 i might as well had gone back to work (work for myself)

- All snapper caught even one that got away, were on nice fleshy squid baits from the head area, mostly half heads, i actually had 3 rods out but all snapper even one that got away was on the same road, no difference it rigs, but it was the rod i kept putting best bait on and changing most.

PS. Will see if can post a few pics latter.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Coronet bay and Corals/Rhyll Wed23 Oct

Post by Kimtown » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:14 am

Good stuff!

Looked like glass out there yesterday!

Island-boy

Post by Island-boy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:22 am

Early was actually a bit of breeze from NE then once the fog cleared it glassed off, then SE came up in afternoon got fairly choppy, winds pretty much as predicted, when the SE came up it actually seemed to induce snapper to bite again even the tiny ones and was a few hours off the tide change.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:12 am

Not bad mate.
Some pics would be great :tu:

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:43 am

Great stuff nice size red to open the season
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Island-boy

Post by Island-boy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Okay will try, not the best pics already scaled and gutted too. (Flatties look tiny but smallest flatty is 1cm over size)

Island-boy

Post by Island-boy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Okay few more, tiny little pinkie that went back, even double hook up, good sign of a healthy bay.
Last edited by Island-boy on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Island-boy

Post by Island-boy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:29 pm

And glass off from last week (now ive got the hang of this pic thing)

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:37 pm

Island-boy wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:27 pm
Okay will try, not the best pics already scaled and gutted too. (Flatties look tiny but smallest flatty is 1cm over size)

Very nice!
That’s a nice catch mate. Well done :)
Cheers :tu:

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:07 pm

Well done! Some good eating there. Fresh squid heads are my favourite big red baits. Great to hear things are coming together for you mate.

FYI- Something to be mindful of in case you weren't aware...cleaning pinkies/snapper in the same spot you are fishing for them will put them off the bite. They're one of the few fish that won't eat their own kind.

Return to “Western Port Bay Fishing Reports”