Travel rods - budget vs premium?

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Travel rods - budget vs premium?

Post by Aimless » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Hey all,

I currently have a couple of 6ft Shimano telescopic rods that cost me all of 30 bucks at Anaconda back in the day. They are pretty rinky dink, rusty, and falling apart, but honestly perform fine and I've brought in plenty of decent sized fish on them. Note I replaced the stock reels because they fell apart. I'm not an amateur fisho by any means but I'm not too precious about my gear. I like the telescopic rods because it's about 10 seconds from pulling them out to fishing.

I don't have a surf rod and it's pretty limiting because I'm often stuck casting on the beach somewhere. So I've been looking at a telescopic 10ft rod.

Kmart have a 10ft version of my Shimano rods for 25+10 shipping. But I was thinking of branching out to some overseas deals.

I've seen lots of conflicting talk on the cheaper chinese gear like Piscifun and Kastking. Mostly negative but plenty of people seem to be getting on well with them. I could get a 10ft rod for probably $30 and they look a bit more serious than my current kit. E.g. a Piscifun Traveller or Kastking Blackhawk II. Quite a few reports of snapped tips etc but not sure about the signal to noise there.

Another option is to go fancier; I saw Daiwa have some nice looking mobile travel rods (Daiwa Mobile series) but they start going for $200 at the surf rod size. Realistically I only get out once a month or so, so I am leaning towards giving something cheap a go. Worst case it breaks and I use my short rods and I go for a better rod down the track.

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Travel rods - budget vs premium?

Post by croe04 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:50 pm

I would honestly ditch the telescopic rod idea, especially for surf fishing. I've owned 2 shimano eclipse telescopic rods and while they are convenient, they are an utter pain at how easy they fall apart, collapse at the wrong time, and just generally using them is not really enjoyable, and thats LB pier fishing on calm days, I wouldn't dare imagine what it's like trying to fish the surf with one. Also pretty sure jase bought one of those 12ft kmart telescopic combos and it fell apart the first time he used it.
I would shoot more towards a 4pc travel rod. Obviously these aren't as up to par with your regular 2 or 1 piece rods but they're a lot less of a hassle than a telescopic.
I've been eyeing off the rovex 12ft 4pc surf travel rod for a while, you should have a look too. It's like 70 bucks so not gonna break the bank and will outperform practically any telescopic.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:03 pm

Aimless, I have NO idea about Telescoping Rods.

What I can give you is my perspective on Quality v Cost, which might be reaffirming your opinion

I'm like you, not an amateur fisho (but by no means a fantastic one either) and I am probably more of a hack with my gear than you.

So, not withstanding "inferior" products, I have cheapo stuff and good gear. I use all the gear I have within the scope that I think it can cope. I don't expect my cheapo rods to perform like my Uglysticks, so I use them accordingly, and haven't had any fail because of that.

Depending on what you are fishing for with the Rod, small or big stuff, the only thing I'd be concerned with is the extra punishment a Surf outfit goes through if you hook up or are going for big stuff.

But with what you mentioned, the 10 ft rod for $30 and it looking more serious than the one you've got, sounds like a great rod, and at that price, worth the risk. AND if it doesn't work out, you have learnt more about the telescopic rods and know what to look for in it's replacement , , , , so $30 well spent.

Cheers, Buggsie , , , , who is happy to buy off you a broken Surf Rod, to stake my tomato plants :-

EDIT: Having just read croe's post (posted while I was typing), it sound quality in that size rod is more crucial , , , , a line call for me now. Probably hinges on how "good" you think this 10 footer is quality wise. BUT also, the one croe recommends for about $70, if he recommends it, good enough for me , , , , get it. croe knows his stuff

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:32 pm

I'd personally suggest multipiece as well - maybe telescopic have less of a break risk at smaller lengths but would assume the longer the length the higher the risk.

I've got two multipiece silstar ramblers at 8ish and 10ish foot. Caught on both, seem like good rods from a reputable budget brand. They also do telescopics that may be worth checking out if you are super keen on that style.

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Telescopic rods are hollow and the guides are often 'just' glued. Multi piece is better.
I have Shimano raider travel rod, pretty good for $100 rod. Well worth than just a $30 telescopic rods that will break after few use.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:09 pm

Buy a proper travel rod.

I'm spoilt in Australia with gear and transport, taking my full arsenal of $400 + spin rods literally everywhere with me because I much prefer to drive than fly.

I made a trip to Vegas and stopped in Hawaii for 8 days on the way home. I decided to save some $ and stuffing about with rod tubes and just take my reels, buying some cheapo rods when we got to Honolulu.

Worst decision of my life. The difference between a $30 job and a proper spin rod was staggering. It was almost impossible to cast more than about 35m and utterly impossible to properly work anything other than a 'wind it in' lure.

Shimano make a 4 piece Tcurve 904 at 6-10kg, would be my choice of an all rounder if i needed to fish anywhere in the world.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

dezza68

Post by dezza68 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:37 pm

I've got a Paul Worstling nano 9ft 4 piece that bangs out a 60gm slug. I've got a Shakespeare Agility EXP thats a 11ft 6 and 5 piece that can cast 200gm, this would cope with anything up to a reasonable shark and then a Shakespeare slingshot 7 ft 5 piece (2 tips) thats good for the lighter stuff but has also caught a few decent snapper from the boat in PPB. It's always a compromise but any of these are better than a telescopic rod.

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey crew, very helpful posts so far, thanks for all the advice. I went to Anaconda today for a quick play around and definitely felt the difference with the nice multi-piece rods there vs mine. I will measure up the car boot and see what's doable. Right now my telescopics sit in a nice little box that takes up 0 room which is bloody convenient!

I had a play around with the various Shimano, Rovex and Daiwa rods there. First thing that surprised me was the length of even the 9 foot rods. I guess I am just bad at measuring in my head but they feel massive compared to my little telescopic 6 footer. So I will definitely need to look at something that's at least 3 piece. 12 footers were huge and I think overkill, even though I end up surf fishing a lot.

I saw the Shimano Raider which looked really nice too, they were boxed up however and $150 at Anaconda so a bit rich for my taste there.

So, some tough decisions to make!

Return to “Fishing Rods & Reels”