Keeping Carrum a manned boat ramp

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Keeping Carrum a manned boat ramp

Post by Mattblack » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:32 am

launching way.jpg
Just noticed the above post on social media...I only use this ramp a few times a year so I don't understand what the benefits of having this ramp manned could be. Anyone have an opinion on this?

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Keeping Carrum a manned boat ramp

Post by bowl » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 am

Maybe as in traffic controlers.

Lane jumpers.
Enforce ramp rules.
Safety ect
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:37 pm

bowl wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 am

Lane jumpers.
Enforce ramp rules.
Safety ect
Not sure about anyone else's experience, but I find this ramp to have a lot of angry punters compared to others. Hope it gets better now its free.

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:41 am

Traffic/Car Park management is the biggest problem at Carrum during peak times. The Launching Way operators have been providing the solution to this up until now.
If the overflow parking was reconfigured as a permanent part of the facility and access in and out addressed somehow, there may be an argument that it could be unattended. Otherwise I predict a sht fight during the peaks.

There aren't a lot of facilities (or any that I am aware of) with 8 ramps together in Victoria. It's a unique case in my opinion and needs more than the 'put up a sign and they'll work it out' system implemented elsewhere. With just the right number of intellectually challenged users there at the same time, the entire facility can literally become gridlocked by incoming vehicles, vehicles trying to get to parking and vehicles waiting to launch/retrieve. A literal grid lock. I've seen it develop many times and without management there it's hard to see how it wouldn't just grind to a halt for a long time.

It's my opinion that the whole removal of launch fees, while great in theory, was always destined to be the beginning of the end of useful rec boating facilities in Victoria. I'm not suggesting that it needed to be that way, but I guarantee it will be. The rec boating fraternity was never saying 'stop charging us and remove all management of facilities', they were saying 'stop charging us twice for the service'. Unfortunately the State has interpreted it in the former way.

Hope there is nobody holding their breath for any new rec boating facilities in Vic....you may be holding it forever.

My opinion only.

Cheers,

Ian
Last edited by Delirium on Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:55 am

Mattblack wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:37 pm
bowl wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:51 am

Lane jumpers.
Enforce ramp rules.
Safety ect
Not sure about anyone else's experience, but I find this ramp to have a lot of angry punters compared to others. Hope it gets better now its free.
Love people who get upset at ramps

The absolute pinnacle of 1st world problems

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:03 pm

Delirium wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:41 am
Traffic/Car Park management is the biggest problem at Carrum during peak times. The Launching Way operators have been providing the solution to this up until now.
If the overflow parking was reconfigured as a permanent part of the facility and access in and out addressed somehow, there may be an argument that it could be unattended. Otherwise I predict a sht fight during the peaks.

There aren't a lot of facilities (or any that I am aware of) with 8 ramps together in Victoria. It's a unique case in my opinion and needs more than the 'put up a sign and they'll work it out' system implemented elsewhere. With just the right number of intellectually challenged users there at the same time, the entire facility can literally become gridlocked by incoming vehicles, vehicles trying to get to parking and vehicles waiting to launch/retrieve. A literal grid lock. I've seen it develop many times and without management there it's hard to see how it wouldn't just grind to a halt for a long time.

It's my opinion that the whole removal of launch fees, while great in theory, was always destined to be the beginning of the end of useful rec boating facilities in Victoria. I'm not suggesting that it needed to be that way, but I guarantee it will be. The rec boating fraternity was never saying 'stop charging us and remove all management of facilities', they were saying 'stop charging us twice for the service'. Unfortunately the State has interpreted it in the former way.

Hope there is nobody holding their breath for any new rec boating facilities in Vic....you may be holding it forever.

My opinion only.

Cheers,

Ian
You don't remember the public consultation survey from a few years ago on what to do with the lower Patterson River precinct including Launching Way and the ramps? How most questions were geared less towards trailerable boating and fishing, and more towards a mixed use area including playgrounds, cafe etc etc? This will have next to nothing to do with the facility being free to use and fairly likely to have everything to do with the shittiest government department in existance (DELWP), Parks Victoria and Melbourne Water wanting the whole lower precinct to tie into the greater Patterson Lakes community more than what a very large public boating launch facility currently does....

In my opinion anyway

Delirium
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Delirium » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:48 pm

cobby wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:03 pm
You don't remember the public consultation survey from a few years ago on what to do with the lower Patterson River precinct including Launching Way and the ramps? How most questions were geared less towards trailerable boating and fishing, and more towards a mixed use area including playgrounds, cafe etc etc? This will have next to nothing to do with the facility being free to use and fairly likely to have everything to do with the shittiest government department in existance (DELWP), Parks Victoria and Melbourne Water wanting the whole lower precinct to tie into the greater Patterson Lakes community more than what a very large public boating launch facility currently does....

In my opinion anyway
I remember it well. And I agree that it included very little (if anything) of any benefit to rec boaters. For that reason I abstained participation.

From what I understand MelbWater is the problem here as Launching Way is apparently their tenant. According to the announcements I have read they have served the notice to the operator to make way for other uses, exactly as you are suggesting.

However, I'd be willing to bet my annual salary that if the operator was still capable of generating the sort of revenue it was before, the 'other uses' wouldn't get a look in on that particular site. Just as they haven't for decades. Or at the very least the operator would be relocated down closer to the river.....along with their cash register.

It's very unlikely that the state would say 'ok' to MelbWater when they said they want to boot the tenant, if they were capable of generating that revenue. Now that the facility (ramps) can't support itself financially on paper as a result of abolition of user fees, other options for revenue are being explored to cover the cost of maintaining the site.

I understand a weekend market is one of the likely uses. What could go wrong?....

Return to “Boating”