Corona virus part 2

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Corona virus part 2

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:33 am

4liters wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:16 am
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:07 am
skronkman wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:52 am
just for my own research purposes, can anyone point me to the actual laws that prohibit fishing presently? I don’t see how it is legal to fine or jail people if they haven’t broken a law. I have seen the warnings and threats about breaking social distancing and quarantine advice but I haven’t actually seen any reference to an enforceable law. Even if these 2 measures (social distancing and quarantine rules) are in fact laws the it is still possible to go fishing within these guidelines. I’m not talking about a link to news.com.au, please spare me from that.

I’m not encouraging people to go fishing and I understand the argument for “the intention” of the rules, I’m not going down that route. I’m thinking of the bigger picture (the implications this has philosophically, democratically, etc)
I think most of the population are happy enough to Oblige by the Rules Put in place temporarily by the government in these trying times.

is the repeated telecast on national TV of the following

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE,
Unless you have to go to the doctors, go to work, go for an exercise outing or go for some essential supplies Not mean anything to you?

it is easier for the government to say what you can do (within reason) than what you cannot do in this given situation, hence why im guessing they have Worded it like this at present!
Is kayak fishing considered exercise?

In practical terms I’m less than 20min from a bunch of secluded launch spots and once on the water you’re a fair distance from anyone else even on a busy day.

I went for a paddle last night, I was the only one on the river but the walking track on both banks was chokkas
dont know mate, kayakers may have a loophole there, but the 20min timeframe might be your downfall.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:37 am

The key NSW stuff, namely the graph and a table of results for Sydney alone.

In the graph see the dashed line at the bottom? That's the ICU capacity. The chart looks eerily similar to what I posted for Victoria :( :
NSW graph.JPG
Results for Sydney.JPG

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 am

skronkman wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 am
purple5ive wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:07 am
skronkman wrote:
just for my own research purposes, can anyone point me to the actual laws that prohibit fishing presently? I don’t see how it is legal to fine or jail people if they haven’t broken a law. I have seen the warnings and threats about breaking social distancing and quarantine advice but I haven’t actually seen any reference to an enforceable law. Even if these 2 measures (social distancing and quarantine rules) are in fact laws the it is still possible to go fishing within these guidelines. I’m not talking about a link to news.com.au, please spare me from that.

I’m not encouraging people to go fishing and I understand the argument for “the intention” of the rules, I’m not going down that route. I’m thinking of the bigger picture (the implications this has philosophically, democratically, etc)
I think most of the population are happy enough to Oblige by the Rules Put in place temporarily by the government in these trying times.

is the repeated telecast on national TV of the following

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOUSE,
Unless you have to go to the doctors, go to work, go for an exercise outing or go for some essential supplies Not mean anything to you?

it is easier for the government to say what you can do (within reason) than what you cannot do in this given situation, hence why im guessing they have Worded it like this at present!
Well, you didn’t point me to the laws or legislation but I appreciate your response. The government can say anything it wants, it doesn’t necessarily make it an enforceable law automatically (sadly there are exceptions)

We (supposedly) live in a land governed by representative democracy and rule of law. I’m speculating that there is no enforceable law to the effect of what has been broadly publicised. I’m interested in knowing if the media has been co-opted by government in an attempt to control the populace with threats and fear only. Which is how it appears to me. I’m curious as to what implications this might have on the future of a free society if everyone simply complies. The road to authoritarianism is often (read sometimes and unlikely) paved with good intentions.

Anyone that has read Orwell and Kafka will understand the angles from which my mind is enquiring.
you sound exactly like my mate ive been arguing with.
and i will tell you exactly what i told him.

This is a pandemic, so i will respect the decisions of the government.
they can ki$$ my Black a$$ any other time, if they tried this sorta ****.

also
im sure you will be only be happy to oblige with the $1500 jobkeeper allowance they have just introduced, or are you going to be a rebel about that too?

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:49 am

For anyone not understanding the emergency laws implemented. ~ "Biosecurity Act"

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov.au/medi ... march-2020

http://theconversation.com/explainer-wh ... eak-132877
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:56 am

skronkman wrote:

I think you may find that there is no “law” but it falls under the State of Emergency that we are currently under in Vic and the special orders which have been put in place that need to be followed to contain the spread.

laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Post by laneends » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:57 am

At the end of the day with the ability to slap on the spot fines, do you want to argue with a cop who gives you one with a shrug and says argue that in court..Easier to err on the side of conservative at least until we see how this all pans out..

Tas premier by the way just specifically spelled in his media announcement out that fishing was ok, along with hunting and horse riding..just need the other premiers to be more specific

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:11 am

https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sites/defau ... ons%20.pdf

Clause 9 explains the exercise exemption, doesn’t seem to include anything that would stop me taking the yak out to stretch the arms as long as I keep away from others
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:16 am

Common sense > Letter of the law ?

It's not even a legality issue, i think its more ethical too.
I am not singling anyone out here, its a free country. Please do as you please, but if tomorrow we are short of ICU beds because of irresponsible behaviour, it might lead to a lot of guilt.

Its really really tempting to take the yak out, trying to be strong here and sit tight. :)

Atleast for the next month .
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:20 am

skronkman wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 am

Well, you didn’t point me to the laws or legislation but I appreciate your response. The government can say anything it wants, it doesn’t necessarily make it an enforceable law automatically (sadly there are exceptions)

We (supposedly) live in a land governed by representative democracy and rule of law. I’m speculating that there is no enforceable law to the effect of what has been broadly publicised.

I’m interested in knowing if the media has been co-opted by government in an attempt to control the populace with threats and fear only. Which is how it appears to me. I’m curious as to what implications this might have on the future of a free society if everyone simply complies. The road to authoritarianism is often (read sometimes and unlikely) paved with good intentions.
To my understanding, and hearing a press conference from the SA Commissioner of Police. They are applying the Bio Security Laws Act , , , , now I don't have the actual "law" at hand or even seen it but that is apparently what they are applying in some cases.

As far as specific COVID-19 laws, they are probably amendments or additions to existing Acts

Regards, Bugs

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:36 am

Australia , , , , over 1,000 deaths

Not COVID-19 , , , , those deaths are on Australian Roads. Count also the tens of thousands of casualties, injuries.

The Road Rules and respective Laws didn't save any of them.

So yes, we do live in a "Free Democratic" society , , , , where people are "free" not to obey the laws.

Laws are an oxymoron , , , , the "good" are going to do the right thing even if it's not law and the "bad" are going to do as they please irrespective of the laws

Cheers, Bugs

Return to “General”