Corona virus part 2

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
laneends
Has liked: 3 times

Re: Corona virus part 2

Post by laneends » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:35 pm

Taking it all back to basic principles of what they are trying to achieve.

1. Basics human needs to keep people healthy>>a degree of being allowed outside to exercise and get some fresh air, even prisoners get that=Short period of time outdoors, generally requiring less travel, to prevent cabin fever

2. Restricting people from moving all over the city/state and potential spreading any virus around. >>Folks going from here to way over there for a day out,= boating fishing, bushwalking and general recreation over and above whats essential for time out.

If there are outbreaks its easier to contain and follow them up if they are kept as local as possible. Even if you just walk down to the local river and fish it is likely that you will be out far longer than if you went for a walk/jog/ride paddle. This increases exposure..yes I know you could be tucked away in a remote place, but they do need to have general rules.

I went for an exercise paddle locally on the yarra this morning, saw no one, went near no one, out and back in just over an hour. No different than if I had ridden a bike, except even less contact with others. If I had gone kayak fishing I would have travelled to other side of melbourne and been out for 6+ hours..far more exposure than needed for essential exercise. The recreation aspect overrides the exercise aspect for kayak fishing, as the exercise is being used as an excuse for recreation. Plus no one is going to starve if they dont go fishing, for some of us fishing is not a reliable method of feeding ourselves anyway...lol

Ergo as soon as you add in a rod it morphs into recreation and more than essential basics.

If we go to next stage they will simply prevent travel for exercise, so you will have to be able to do it from your own doorstep.

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:00 pm

Well, one of my best buds just got a positive test result. First person I know who has it. He will be okay it looks like but certainly drive it home.

He was living in the US for the last 12 months and has been in hotel isolation for a week already in Sydney.

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:18 pm

Attached to this post is a photo of part of a document published by the American Society For Microbiology in 2007.

I wasn't able to copy it other than by saving it as a photo.

Please note the comments highlighted in yellow.

Now, 13 years later, the time-bomb has exploded.

Who is to blame?
:o_0:
Attachments
sars.jpg

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:42 pm

Yeah scientists have been talking about that for ages. Unfortunately the current crop of right wingers in charge haven’t really put much faith in science and now we’re gonna pay for it.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:02 pm

Many of these Viruses come from China. They have been talking about it for years. The scary thing is how quickly they mutate. I read somewhere that they mutate that often that it's impossible to have a vaccine for them.

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:10 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:42 pm
Yeah scientists have been talking about that for ages. Unfortunately the current crop of right wingers in charge haven’t really put much faith in science and now we’re gonna pay for it.
As I indicated in another post two Federal health ministers of the past recognised the threat and put in place detailed proposals for Australia to be prepared for global pandemics.

The first was Tony Abbott who was Health Minister under John Howard. He initiated some of the strategy we have today, starting in 2005 based on discussions at an international symposium and later in 2007 in response to the SARS outbreak. In 2007 there was of course a change of government and "priorities were reorganised'.

Nicola Roxon was Health Minister under Julia Gillard and in response to swine flue increased funding and proposed funding for improved preparedness for future pandemics. There was of course a change in leadership and some of this fell by the wayside.

You can thank Abbot and Roxon for giving us some sort of baseline for us to respond in the present circumstances.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:17 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:02 pm
Many of these Viruses come from China. They have been talking about it for years. The scary thing is how quickly they mutate. I read somewhere that they mutate that often that it's impossible to have a vaccine for them.
Anthony, a lot of them originate in microbats and we have plenty of them here too with some crossing over to Humans, eg, Hendra virus.

The issue in China is a high population density and the animal markets and trade in exotic animals providing a greater range of species to provide crosssover opportunities.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:17 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Anthony, a lot of them originate in microbats and we have plenty of them here too with some crossing over to Humans, eg, Hendra virus.

The issue in China is a high population density and the animal markets and trade in exotic animals providing a greater range of species to provide crosssover opportunities.

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Thanks Will, I should have been clearer with my post. I should have stated, it more than often comes from there because they have wet markets with a lot of these animals mix together which causes the viruses to jump from animal to animal to humans.

Cheers, Anth

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:08 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:43 pm
Truedogz wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:17 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Thanks Will, I should have been clearer with my post. I should have stated, it more than often comes from there because they have wet markets with a lot of these animals mix together which causes the viruses to jump from animal to animal to humans.

Cheers, Anth
Factory farming also increases the risk of animal to human transmission. From memory the swine flu outbreak a while back came from some pig farm in Mexico, and there's outbreaks of avian flu in chicken farm workers from time to time too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:47 pm

Yes. Lots of viruses pop up from time to time - many burn out quickly without spreading through the population.

I have read that bats have such a good immune system that the only viruses which can survive in them are particularly nasty. Hence being reservoir species for stuff like SARS and similar. Corona is so nasty because it has a lot of 'desirable' traits for a virus that likes to spread fast without easily being detected - incubation periods, relatively high but not super high mortality rate etc. Combined with bad timing around Lunar New Year it's gone bananas.

Return to “General”